Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Albany Area Outboard Repair????

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Neversink Jimmy 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,
Still trying to get out on the river! Had a problem with my buddies outboard. We've tried our best but can't get her going (new plugs, gas, filter, good spark). It's an old six hp Johnson (Probably late sixties but in very well kept condition). Can anyone recommend a reputable person to work on the outboard in the Albany area? Much thanks. We need to get out on the river!!!
-Chinook

#2 ·
For a smaller motor like that, look up a small engine repair shop. Their labor rates are MUCH MUCH better than marine mechanic labor rates.

I've heard the small engine repair shop in Niskyauna on the corner of rt7 and pearse rd is good, but I haven't been there myself.

(If it was my guess, I'm betting its a carb issue.)

#6 ·
For a smaller motor like that, look up a small engine repair shop. Their labor rates are MUCH MUCH better than marine mechanic labor rates.

I've heard the small engine repair shop in Niskyauna on the corner of rt7 and pearse rd is good, but I haven't been there myself.

(If it was my guess, I'm betting its a carb issue.)
That would be Jackson Lawn Mower repair. I can say from experience that they did a fine job brining my old briggs and stratton motor back into working order and can sharpen a lawn mower blade with the best of them.

#3 ·
if you want to get it back quickly, i would take it to an outboard dealer that handles that make motor.
a small eng shop won`t have parts to fix it, even if he has found the issue. and will have to order your parts.
the nearest johnson dealer to delmar is albany marine down on broadway.

#4 ·
Riverview Marine, Catskill, NY Mike Aguiar is the owner.

518 943 5311 He took care of my evinrude and Johnson engines for 20+ years. A good man and a great fisherman. Call him ans see if he has room to take your 6 hp. You can buy bait there as well. Take Main St. to the river, as you get near the end, his marina is on the right side.

#7 ·
I grew up a few doors down from Jackson's on Pearse Road many years ago... Those guys have always been awesome in my opinion, and I bet they could help you out.

And I agree- labor rates are probably a lot less than an outboard mechanic.

I have never brought an outboaord to Jacksons, but they were pretty handy helping me fix my old go-cart back in the mid 80s!

They sure know their way around a centrifugal clutch, I know that much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.