Sick of feeding bues plugs? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Sick of feeding bues plugs?

I am awfully tired of seeing a $5, $6, $7...etc. plugs going to the botom or running through the waves in the mouth of a blue after being cut off by another blue. It's not that I can prevent this, I had 40lb wire cut off by blues this past season...something I thought impossible.
I BOUGHT A LATHE!!! Got one on Ebay for a good price from a guy in Nebraska, who just happened to be a fisherman and a hunter...we hit it off right away. He fishes for land locked WHIPERS (white bass/ striper hybrid) to 25 lbs.
I made my first few bluefish plugs with a hand file and as ugly as they were, they still caught blues AND stripers.
Also picked up a drill press for a song at Job Lot so drilling the plugs became much simpler. With the lathe I can even start with a square piece of wood rather than dowels, but dowels are much faster to shape.
Plugs now look quite professional and buddies are picking them off from my boxes at am alarming rate...I was giving them away. THAT HAS
STOPPED!
They at least have to provide the dowels and put their own split rings and hooks on. For now I still drill and wire them with a front swivel. Might consider marketing them along with the best fluke rig you'll ever use!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 04:29 PM

Hi doc

Welcome to the site. Krockodiles. Save your old beer cans and spot weld a treble hook on. I betcha the blues will take it. Makin rigs and wood plugs is a cool hobby. I'd gladly supply the dowels and rings if you was my fishin partner. I'd put my name right on the side. Stiperjim. Come git dinner.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:27 PM

Me and my freind made a a big pencil popper, we just need some treble hooks

We used a dowel, a jigsaw, some sandpaper, some paint, and alot of creativity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 09:55 PM

Hey Doc,

Any chance I can buy some fluke rigs off you...Im always looking for innovative and quality rigs...

Send me a PM if your willing...thanks...

BTW(by the way)...where you located?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Veteran

40 lb wire leaders are pretty heavy. You shouldn,t be losing fish. Check the wire after every fish. I use my shit plugs when the blues are around.Go to a yard sale buy some spoons. Cut then in half, put a hookon both and you have two cheeeep lures.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:27 AM

Default I love it here!

I love it when people talk about building and creating fishing lures from everyday things. I'm with Doc on this one. I don't need to purchase $5-$8 plugs/bugs, go fishing with them and while I'm fishing I have to worry about getting it out of the waters safely.

I mean, this is FISHING! One of those few hobbies you can leave your worries and stress at home/work, go to your favourite spots and just enjoy the experience, solitude, etc...

You are supposed to come home relaxed and refreshed; some nicely caught bass will be a bonus. But an empty tin of expensive lures will taste bad.

With creativity, let's go make some effective but cheapo lures. Without much creativity, well...you have my web site... :P
Old 02-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Veteran

When we fished the tri-state years ago some of the guys would buy their beer and in those days you didn't have pop tops. They always had can openers on the counter. the small ones. They would take a hand full of can openers and put a split ring on one end and a hook on the outher end.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:35 PM

Welcome to the board Keith.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea sea rider
When we fished the tri-state years ago some of the guys would buy their beer and in those days you didn't have pop tops. They always had can openers on the counter. the small ones. They would take a hand full of can openers and put a split ring on one end and a hook on the outher end.
I sometimes would take a bunch of used tin spoons from the kitchen drawer, cut off the handle, drill a hole at one end, and go fishing when the sun is bright and shiny.

Thanks striperJim, are you also the web owner?
Old 02-20-2005, 01:10 AM

Yes sir I am the founder/webmaster, but the site belongs to us all The moderators have been here since the inception. :P
Old 02-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Veteran

The other end make a hopkins type lure. It looks like a smelt. :roll:
Old 11-02-2005, 09:10 AM

Keith with the winter time fast approaching. The New Englanders may want to start making their own plugs. Your articles recommend ceder for top water. You'll probably get a good laugh at my first home made plugs. :)
Which wood do you recommend for salt water swimmers? Your articles recommend using ceder and loading them down or best make them from heavier woods such as birch, fir, maple, and walnut. Lets say darters and or bottle plugs.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:38 PM
First Mate

last night i had a sudden urge, and went and got some scraps from the building project, put em to the belt sander i use for makin knives, and viola, my first plug. dont have hooks on it yet though, and its made of plywood . if i seal the plywood w/ some sealer will it be ok. also, can i take my 2 ton epoxy, coat it, then sand that down to seal it?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:46 PM
First Mate

whats up w/ my sig?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:31 PM

Just me havin a little fun with you stmn0