I hate Poachers! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > The Gallows - Poachers Hall of Shame
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Gallows - Poachers Hall of Shame Poachers are exposed here. Federal wildlife officers association links to all poacher hotlines in the U.S.

Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 AM

Default I hate Poachers!

I know this isn't Striper Related, but I hate poaching! :devil:
I especially hate finning! :devil:

2004-266 L.D.W.F. UNCOVERS SHADY SHARK DEALINGS
8/18/2004

Agents of the Special Investigations Unit of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Enforcement Division have cited six persons for alleged federal fisheries violations. The citations stemmed from an investigation of "finning" of sharks. "Finning" is the illegal practice of catching sharks and removing the fins and discarding the carcass. The unit is working under a joint enforcement agreement with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Office for Law Enforcement.
On August 7, agents determined the fishing vessel "Patrick James" had allegedly taken and sold approximately 1,125 pounds of shark fins and only 3,380 pounds of shark to Venice Fish and Shrimp, a wholesale seafood dealer located in Venice.

Properly licensed and permitted commercial vessels and fishermen may legally sell shark fins but only in proportion with shark carcasses. Shark fins should represent approximately five percent of the carcass weight of a shark. In this case, 1,125 pounds of shark fins represent over 22,000 pounds of shark, most of which were finned and discarded during the "Patrick James" fishing trip.

The following persons were charged with numerous alleged violations of federal regulations for shark: Cha Van Kha, 45 of Venice, captain of the fishing vessel Patrick James; Tai Tan Nguyen, 23 of Gretna; Huong V. Nguyen, 42, of Venice,; Ngai Ngoc Tran, 47, of Venice; Truong Thuy Le, 33 of Venice; and Thai Hoa Ngo, 42, of Venice, owner of Venice Fish and Shrimp.

Penalties for these violations are fines of up to $250,000 and include permit sanctions.

Agents participating in the case were Senior Agents James Gomillion and Buck Hampton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2004, 12:02 AM

This is another version of the story. :evil:

2004-326 COMMERCIAL SHARK FISHER ISSUED PENALTIES
10/6/2004

The National Marine Fisheries Service Office of the General Counsel issued a Notice of Violation and Assessment (NOVA) on September 29th to the captain/owner of the fishing vessel the "Patrick James" for violations of federal shark regulations. Chau Van Kha, 45 of Venice was issued an assessment for $30,000 and a 45-day permit sanction for the shark violations. The Special Investigations Unit of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Enforcement Division initiated the case while working under a joint enforcement agreement with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration?s Office for Law Enforcement.

On August 7, agents determined the fishing vessel "Patrick James" had allegedly taken and sold approximately 3,380 pounds of shark carcasses and 1,125 pounds of shark fins to Venice Fish & Shrimp, a wholesale seafood dealer located in Venice Louisiana.
Agents identified approximately 1000 pounds of shark fins hidden on top of refrigerated coolers at the Venice Fish & Shrimp. The fins had been offloaded at the dock upon the vessel?s arrival in the middle of the night.

Shark fins represent approximately five percent of the carcass weight of shark. 1,125 pounds of shark fins represent over 22,000 pounds of shark, most of which were finned and returned to the water to die during the fishing trip of the "Patrick James."

Agents participating in the case were Senior Agents James Gomillion and Buck Hampton.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:24 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Pure scum. I know how you feel bud. As much as I loathe the act of poaching, we cant hate them. All we can do is pray for them, and hope one day they become better people. Atleast the fines are of a higher value.

I am however not surprised to see names like "Nguyen", "Tran", and "Le". It is quite disturbing how often I see people of Asian descent involved in poaching and game theft.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2004, 02:34 AM

Irony
Compared to the sentencing they would get back un their homelands under Marshall law 30,000 fine seems like nothing to them. Probably death by finning. Or de skinning.
I doubt they even pay the fines here. They should lose the vessell as well. Gets me pissed. It also gives the authorities the ammo they need for the implementarion of salt water licenses. :(
Old 11-11-2004, 02:44 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Jim, all this season, I have been seriously thinking about a saltwater licensing program. I used to think it wasnt needed, and understood why they didnt implement it here in NH.

But now, especially after this summer, I am having second thoughts. Every year, I catch and report an increasing number of paochers and game thieves. It really works me up to no end, to the point that I actually contacted my local Fish N Game dept. for info on being a Conservation Officer.

I now believe we need to institute a saltwater licensing program here in NH. That way, if your not licensed to be on the water, on the jetty, in the estuaries, at the dams, etc., .......GET THE HELL OUT!!!!

I also move to jack the fines up 10 fold.

Old 11-11-2004, 02:49 AM

I would agreee with a license John if it was subsidized privately or something. The right to fish should belong to us all, to those who can afford the fees and especially to those who cant afford them.

At least with a license "privaledge" it may be respected more. But probably only to us who respect the law anyway. Its enough to try and gain access to fish down this way anyway, with state park fees, beach buggy fees, beach access fees in some cases and federal fees to park and fish. Its enough to make your head spin.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:34 PM

I agree with a license, we already pay to fish frash watah, and pay to hunt. Why should salt be any different. In NH the $$$ goes towards conservation and wildlife programs anyway. It just pisses me off when people abuse game laws, it make fishermen and hunters that obey the laws and are ethical look bad also.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:43 PM

Then apply the fresh water license to both fresh and salt. Dont you think the govt is already in our pockets enough? :idea:

That way you would have to display a fishing licence on your person where more eyes would be watching. But less money would be drained from your hide because of a few criminal morons. It burns me up that I would have to pay for that. The only way I would agree to any type of salt licence in my state is if I was allowed to use it in any and all other coastal states. If you live next to three states your allready paying 120. bucks a year for fresh water licenses. Most striper and fishing associations have been fighting these licenses for years. Just more bureucracy and BS. Fish and game and consevation and wildlife do just fine without getting into our pockets more. No?
Old 11-11-2004, 10:54 PM

I'm not sure I'd be into buying multiple licences.....1 for fishing the Pisc and one for fishin da mahsh, then anutha to go fish with Briggs.........and on and on it goes. If there was a universal salt watah licence I think that would be fair. I'm in the shocked catgory about the surnames involved too "Chinese Food!! Chinese Food!!"
Old 11-11-2004, 11:08 PM

Steve, your not into buyin much :D I agree we already pay enough fees, but something has to be done about people that abuse the outdoors.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:15 PM

Yeah a universal licence, kinda like the National Park pass $20 or sumthin like that. As far as the poachers go, that's why they make guns so you can shoot the SOB's in the feet, make em walk a little funny. On second thought shoot em dead, that way they can't sue you afterward
Old 11-11-2004, 11:40 PM

National park pass is 50 bucks. So is a gateway federal pass. It doesnt end. The salt licences should be consolidated with the freshy licence in a probationary basis with a freiken lerners permit. Lose it and your toast. for good!!! my 2c
Old 11-12-2004, 12:53 PM

I can't stand a poacher, dishonesty at it's peak.

Do any of ya'll state have the Catch-A-Poacher program?? Here's the link to MD DNR's page on it. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/poacher.asp

They are VERY strict on poachers down here, and if you call that hotline and give info leading to an arrest and conviction, they don't tell you the money value on that site but it's 500$ per conviction that you get from them.

We have a weird system down here, MD DNR, Charles County Sherriff, and USCG patrol the Potomac, but it is govorned by the Potomac River Fisheries Commision (PRFC). It's a organization of MD, VA, and DC, and it does a great job crackin' down on poachers, especially crab and striper poachers.

If ya'll don't have that program, maybe some letters to your DNR would help, it's had a lot of success in MD, and I doubt ya'lls state is as cash strapped as ours. :)
Old 11-12-2004, 02:33 PM

Thanks DR. Im gonna make the url a sticky for DELMARVA. :)
Old 11-12-2004, 02:47 PM

In NH we have Operation Game Thief, which also has a hotline #. Jonny should know it, I know he has called it enough.