What I Learned 2006 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Wiper Guru

Default What I Learned 2006

Every year I like to look back on the season and try to sum up what I learned on the water. 2006 was a great year for learning.

This year I fished almost exclusively on Monroe Lake in Southern Indiana, and I made two trips to Cherokee Lake in Southeastern Tennessee. I fished exclusively for wipers this season. My intent was to find a way to fish for hybrids without trolling. I hate trolling! Besides using a lot of gas and oil, it is one of the least entertaining ways to fish. I perfer casting, so one of my major goals this year was to find a way to catch wipers by casting for them; the other was to catch a fish of ten pounds or more.

On the second goal I absolutely failed. 8.6 pounds was the largest I caught, so that goal has moved to 2007. I caught a lot of wipers this year, and I doubt there are any or at best not many wipers in Monroe that top ten pounds at this time. I am sure they are there, but I don't think they are many.

I did learn to cast for wipers. In the past I have never been able to do this. I found that, generally, wipers like to hang in deep water, but in the mornings and especially in the evenings, they like to chase shad to shallow areas of the lake, flat areas where the water is no deeper than 3-6 feet and the shad have nowhere to run. What I found was that by placing yourself between deeper water and a flat area, you can cast deep and intercept the incoming herds of fish, but you have make very long casts, and you have to keep your lure at the bottom of the lake.

To do this, you have to have specialized lures that appeal to the wiper. I found that Kastmaster lures are just the ticket. Gold or nickel plated Kastmaster cast forever, sink fast and hard, and hug the bottom during the retrieve. They are perfect wiper lures. Another one that I found to be deadly for wipers is a Bomber Slab Spoon. Again, they cast forever and hug the bottom on the retrieve.

In the fall we had good luck casting and retrieving luminescent curly tail grubs on heavier jigheads. There seemed to be something about that glowing jig that the wipers couldn't ignore.

In the early spring--March to be exact--I fished wipers on Cherokee Lake in Tennessee. We found the fish at the bottom of fifty feet of water, hoovering around clouds of shad. We dropped Kastmasters to them and they readily responded, but because of the cold and the depth, when they ran with the lure, they quickly and imperceptibly stretched the mono line to the point of snapping, so we had to keep a very loose drag and let the fish take all the line it wanted. There was no way to horse a fish in that situation. I also found that when I see the same image on the sonar on Monroe Lake, the big fish hanging around a cloud of shad in deep water, if I drop a Kastmaster to them, they ignore it. It makes no sense, but the fish in the two lakes do not react alike.

The last thing I learned when casting for wipers was not to waste my time during unproductive times. Shallow water wipers have certain times that they make themselves available to fishermen. Dawn to noon is a great time to fish, as is 6 p.m. to dark. In between I found that you might as well fish crappie or take a nap because it is rare that the wipers will rally to a lure when the sun is high in the sky.

Speaking of which, chrome anything works well when the sun is bright, and chartreuse is a great color for overcast days.

That's it for me for 2006, but if I think of more I will add it later.

Anyone else learn anything about hybrids in 2006?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 10:51 PM

Default Re: What I Learned 2006

Caught my first hybrid in 2006, I learned they seemed to be on the outskirts of the white bass schooling in the OH River below Meldahl dam, they were deep as you experienced, but would come closer to bank (bank fishing, yak fishing didn't get me any wipers this year) and chase shad.
Also learned they come up Little Miami River, stay close to fast water, but in the eddies, ambush style.
My best lures were chrome rat'l traps, deep diving minnow crank, bounced off bottom fast water, and shad plastic jigs, w/lead head cast into river, let sink close to bottom, and bounce back.
Bomber 1.5oz jig w/6" curly tail did it a couple times too, OH River.
I caught them on UL, 6# mono, and 10# spider wire fusion. Learned to let them run, that they seek deep water more often than snags and cover, so let 'em run.
Also discovered, man, they eat good!
Jeff
Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Wiper Guru

They are great eating. They smoke nicely, too. If you have a smoker, smoke some steaks, then mush them up with your favorite seasonings and some cream cheese, form it into a ball, roll it in slivered almonds and serve it with Triscuits at your next get together. It also fries very nicely in beer batter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowretrieve View Post
They are great eating. They smoke nicely, too. If you have a smoker, smoke some steaks, then mush them up with your favorite seasonings and some cream cheese, form it into a ball, roll it in slivered almonds and serve it with Triscuits at your next get together. It also fries very nicely in beer batter.
We're having Smack Tackle fish fry this Saturday, stripers from TN river.
I like that smoked wiper cheese ball idea, I'll have to try that.
Course that means I have to go fishing now to provide the wiper..... :)
Jeff
Old 11-15-2006, 02:33 PM

Thumbs up Re: What I Learned 2006

This was the first year that i have spent actively fishing for stripers and damm it was fun.
I have learned alot about the types of water and structure that they will hold in while they are in the river here. At any time when i would go out if i could one striper on a line in a day i would consider it a good day.
I learned about working redfins in current, and v-waking, spooks, and pencil popers. But the best part for me was when i figured out how to take them on a fly rod. I don't really care how or what tackle i catch em on , It's all good fun.
In the river where i fish at i did learn that you need to use at least 20-30lb mono or braided line(alot of folks here like 50 ) because of the rocks and structure in the river. These fish will run down and around and in between so many rocks that they will break you off in a heartbeat. I have personally had 30lb line snapped more times than i care to think about.
As far as fighting fish of this size i have figured out a couple of things:
1: when you hook em just hold on and let the suckers run. If you get low on line the pull anchor and go after them. Most of the time if you can hold on through the first run, you can probably land the fish.
2: By constantly working on turning the head of the fish you can land them quicker with a better chance at reviving the fish in warmer waters.
3: I LOVE CATCHING THOSE FISH. IT'S AWSOME!!!!!!
I am looking forward to next season here on the river. The goals that i have is to hit one fish in the 40-50 lb class. If it happens then that'll be cool, if not i have a goal that i can keep shooting for. Secondly i want to be able to put a few folks on some of these fish. Just so i can get some pictures and see looks on there faces.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Wiper Guru

Great goals, Stran. I wish you the very best in your pursuits. If you get a photo of a newbie landing a 40 pounder or better, please post it. Nothing better than the big grin and laughter at the end of a fight that a guy never expected to win.