Would this be safe? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 01-10-2015, 02:25 AM
Official Member

Default Would this be safe?

I picked up a 12 ft v-hull with a 5 hp vintage outboard that I used up in the adks last summer. Was wondering if this would be safe to use on the hudson out near kingston from sleightsburg on a CALM day.

I mean there's days where you see kayakers out there ffs. . .

What direction does the wind need to be coming out of to make the hudson rough? I'm a novice fisherman, and this will be my first year giving the strippers a shot. I've fished 2-3 yrs on the nyc reservoirs and from my experience on those bodies of water, it's the direction that the wind is coming from more so then the mph that'll make the conditions good/bad.

I'm hoping to pick up a 10hp this summer, but until then I gotta use what I got!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Default Re: Would this be safe?

I see 12' alum boats from time to time, I have even had mine out there.
Also see kayaks a lot.

It's totally doable and I felt safe, but between changes of weather and dealing with the waves of all the big boats around it can get rough quick ! Than it's no fun. Just be safe and always wear your PFD in the smaller boats.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Official Member

I've spoken with a few people and I'm thinking that going out onto the actual river is a bad idea. . .

I've had experience on the rondout and ashokan reservoirs rowing and fishing. . . and just my experience on those bodies of water has shown me how quickly the conditions can change.

I didn't consider other factors in my original post like the tide, currents related to depth changes, and wakes from bigger boats that I didn't have to worry about on the nyc reservoirs. . .

A few people have told me that I should be fine staying in the rondout or fishing in the mouth of the rondout. I've been told that I'd be fine if I don't go out past the breakers at the mouth of the rondout (the lighthouse). That's only half a mile from the launch too, so if conditions start to change I'm thinking I should be able to book it back in quickly enough.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 07:46 PM
wellsley

I've seen several 12fters. out there. I have one but it makes no sense for me to leave the crestliner home and haul a rowboat an hour away. I would not hesitate to use a 12' on a calm day.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Striper Hunter

I use to fish in a 12 foot sears row boat with a two and a half horse motor for a few years watch the weather it will take some rough weather but if it starts to blow head in and dont over load it and you will be fine.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:20 AM
Capt. Jimmy Samia

Just remember, be safe. There are no do-overs on the Hudson River. One mistake could be your last.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Official Member

12 footer should be safe enough except on the windiest of days. What you need to watch for are winds directly from the south or north. West is best, east is ok but it rarely blow directly from the east and if it does its probably raining.

the worst situation is a heavy south wind with the tide going out.

if you stick to the area just below the Rondout, a known striper area, you can always duck back into the creek if bad weather erupts. pic of one from that area last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	22122  
Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM
First Mate

I fished from a 14.5 foot lund for two seasons and we had a few nervous moments out there. 12 foot will work on calm days, or days that aren't so calm you could tuck into a creek or behind a jetty of sorts, that will help knock down the wind and waves. Larger boats wake will cause you to clinch, I promise you that!! One time we had a wave break over the bow and into the boat while we were on anchor.... We left immediately after and had to creep it home to avoid beating ourselves up on the tall waves headed at us. Btw that was NOT a wake that came over the bow, it was just the timing of the waves vs. the position of the bow. The bow was low and the next wave came in quick. I turned to my dad and said "we're leaving.... Right now". One more thing to be careful of is his easily your model boat will roll in the water. I could still stand on the very sides of my lund and I knew it wouldn't roll over in the water. With all that said, were fishing from a 20 footer from now on. The 14.5 has been sold
Old 02-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Senior Member Elite

12' Deep V here. I fish Albany and it's not even remotely close to your conditions but i will go out in any conditions up here.

I would fish down south on a reasonably calm day but i would always have an eye open for big wakes, passing boats and changing conditions.

With a deep V and the bow into the wave / wake you will be fine.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Striper Hunter

I've been out on the river in a 26' sailboat with waves splashing over the bow. The river can get nasty when there is an opposite wind / current. You can be safe in a floating bathtub if the river is calm. But if it comes up (and it can come up fast) you can find yourself in trouble.

Don't play with your life. It's just not worth it. Make sure you stay close to land, wear a life jacket at all times, and bug out fast if things start to turn. I've seen 3-4 big guys in a small boat with 6" or less of gunwall out of the water. Crazy if you ask me.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-17-2015, 09:45 AM
First Mate

I have fished from my 14' Jon on calm days... on rough days the waves come over the bow on my 16' bowrider. That's not fun.

U can do the 12 but Watch the weather!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:48 AM
First Mate

I fish out of my 14' kayak all the time, though I am up in the Albany to Coeymans area, and the river is smaller up here. There have been times the waves/wind cause a problem, but with the exception of very few times I haven't had any issues out on the water which resulted in danger. ...Repetition of everyone above, but make sure you are always keeping an eye on the weather and wear your PFD. Remember they are there for when you suddenly have an issue...keeping it on the boat (not on you) is useless if you go over! Spend a bit of money on a nice form fitting one (not the terrible orange things) and you will be surprised how comfortable some of the new ones are. I often forget I have mine on by the end of the day. Most of the time when I get down to the river you can tell if it is safe to go out, if there is any doubt, don't launch. This of course doesn't take into account sudden weather changes, but it is a good "rule of thumb."