Surffishing Virginia beach - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Surffishing Virginia beach

Hey guys, I'm visiting Virginia beach in August and wanted to get into some surf fishing for Stripers. I've got the gear(Rod,Reels) and was wondering about Baits,lures, and locations. I have never fished specifically for Stripers, usually Fluke + Blues and even that is rare. I am staying on the beach by 39th. street. Any info would be appreciated. I know this is generic info but I love to fish(Largemouth Bass) and just laying on the beach gets old!
Thanks,
HOOKSET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Intro

Sorry guys, I've been around and should have introduced myself first. I'm from New York state, married with 3 kids. My entire family loves to fish!!! I fish mainly Largemouth Bass(99.5% of the time) but have fished party boats and surf from N.Y. to Fla. I will be in Virginia on vacation so I thought i'd try some surffishing. I have an 8' custom rod paired with a Penn spinner. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

HOOKSET :help:
Old 06-22-2005, 02:53 PM

Hey Hookset!

Welcome to the boards. I myself fish mainly freshwater too(99.9% of the time)

Not familiar with the area, but I'm sure theres atleast 1 person around here that can help ya. I think SingleTJeff lives in VA, he may be able to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005, 03:44 PM

Hi Hookset.
Its slow around virginia in the dog days of august for bass. But there will be plenty of croaker and fluke. I fished a little north of there in the Chincoteague area in late July one year and had no luck nor heard any reports of bass being caught. Croaker, Fluke and crabbing was a blast for us. Jumbo Shrimp was $2.00 a pound. :wtg: Some of the guys from the area may give you a better perspective on the species available to catch . Enjoy the site.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:08 PM

hey i just got back from Virginia beach. My family and i went to go see my bro in norfolk. hes in da navy. The hotel we stay in was on 28th street on atlantic avenue right on the beach. I went fishing there for 3 nights , theres a variety of fish there mostly steelhead and round head sea trout, or as u might call it up here weakfish. Theres a pier on about 22nd street if i remember. I went on that for the first 2 night, its $7.50 to fish on it from like any time during the day till 12 at night. Theres a bait shop right on the pier itself, i didnt catch any stripers at all. In august i doubt they'll be any stipers cuz the water gets really warm down there, you could end up getting tiger shark, croakers, and fluke. the best bait to use down there during august is squid and jumbo shrimp. well anyway good luk
Old 06-23-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Virginia beach

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome!!! Stripeross, thanks for the info. Now I know I can target some other species. I'll look to the local bait shops to get some more info when I'm there.

HOOKSET :hail: