DEC Finalizes New York State River Herring Regulations - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: DEC Finalizes New York State River Herring Regulations

I feel badly for the shore fisherman on the creeks. I've never seen a herring caught by casting out a sabiki. Anyone else? Jigging off a pier yes, but not from the shore. What are they doing about the bait sellers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Striper Hunter

What are they saying about frozen bait from prev trips? How will they be able to regulate that? Will/Is it allowed? I have bait from last year frozen up..
Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivesons1 View Post
What are they saying about frozen bait from prev trips? How will they be able to regulate that? Will/Is it allowed? I have bait from last year frozen up..
that is a really good question ... and add store bought bait to the equation

i mentioned earlier about having a herring on the hook for 5 minutes and then letting it go ...... they swim away healthy ..... will those be counted towards my 10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Master Trophy Hunter

Yes. Those would be counted toward the total. If they were used for bait at all they count towards the total. You can use as many frozen ones as you want as long as they werent caught that day. But if you save your dead and freeze them you are fine.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejunipero View Post
Yes. Those would be counted toward the total. If they were used for bait at all they count towards the total. You can use as many frozen ones as you want as long as they werent caught that day. But if you save your dead and freeze them you are fine.
Not arguing with you by any means ... but on the frozen ones isn't there a limit to the number of fish / filets you are allowed to possess while fishing??

For example if you do a two day trip i believe you can still only possess a limit for one day so it would seem we could only have a total of 10 on us .... dead or alive .... unless they are commercially bought and we have a receipt??

it's gonna be a PIA
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Master Trophy Hunter

I think if I'm reading it correctly it says youre allowed to catch 10 a day. Now I would think I could catch 10 and freeze them each day and have a bunch for a day off. I definitely could be wrong though.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejunipero View Post
I think if I'm reading it correctly it says youre allowed to catch 10 a day. Now I would think I could catch 10 and freeze them each day and have a bunch for a day off. I definitely could be wrong though.
i think you are ..... think of it this way .... the possession limit for bass is 5 or whatever

you go camping for 3 days ..... and get 5 bass a day

you couldn't take the 5 bass from yesterday out with you to use as cut bait for today and take 5 more because you would be above your limit of 5

now if it was store bought herring with a receipt it would get tricky

what a nightmare!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Striper Hunter

Transportation

Transportation of fish as designated below is permitted except while fishing in New York=s waters:
Fish Caught in New York State:

No more than two days legal take of non‑salable fish may be transported unless a permit is obtained from a DEC Regional Office, or the fish are frozen, processed and packaged for storage.
  • Smelt, suckers, alewives, and blueback herring taken by dip nets or angling, and suckers taken by spearing, may be transported overland by motorized vehicle for consumption purposes only. Once those species are transported away from the water body, they may not be transported back to any water body for use as bait.
  • Salable fish may be transported in any number.
  • Special regulations exist for the transportation of baitfish.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Senior Member Elite

they have established several corridors in ny that you are allowed to transport bait and the hudson river is in one of them so it is now legal to do it

at least i am 99 percent sure that is correct
Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Official Member

I feel badly for the shore fisherman on the creeks. I've never seen a herring caught by casting out a sabiki. Anyone else? Jigging off a pier yes, but not from the shore. What are they doing about the bait sellers?[/quote]

I have caught them from shore early in the season with a sabiki in the poesty at the falls. Problem is there are now fences blocking off all access from land and the only way up there is thru the canyon from the river. Lots of junk in the water but it can be done at high tide, which is when they are in there anyway. Some wading may be required, and your boat can't be too big, a 16 footer is probably too much. Maybe bring along a kyak?

I also think the 10 per day limit is about right. If the herring go the way of the shad... Five years ago i could catch a shad on every cast if i wanted, and they hit the sabiki's all the time when fishing for herring. Last year i may have hooked into one (released).

I also plan on buying the biggest shiners i can find, at least early in the season. I have occasionally caught stripers on white perch so shiners should work. Better than nothing.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
I feel badly for the shore fisherman on the creeks. I've never seen a herring caught by casting out a sabiki. Anyone else? Jigging off a pier yes, but not from the shore. What are they doing about the bait sellers?
if there werent guys going to creeks like the poestenkill filling garbage bags multiple times a day, every day maybe we wouldnt have these new regs. as far as access to the poesty, guys will do whatever necessary to get down there
Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Quote:
I have caught them in the river plenty of times as well, cast the sabiki rig out and slowly jig it back towards you. Usually works pretty well so long as they are nearby, of course. As for fishing in the creeks, ya, the guy's who go and catch a handful for a day's fishing, I think it's probably okay, but for sure, I have watched way too many people fill huge cans full.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darndam View Post
this is what was told to me from the DEC. For us bait sellers we can have as much bait as we want but can only sell 10 fish per person per day. doesn't matter if they are alive, dead, or frozen. it doesn't matter if they are from last year or last week. 10 per day thats it. as far as anyone selling bait this year it doesn't look good. all of our bait came out of the creeks. trying to get any bait in large enough numbers out of the river is very hard. we will have to see what happens.