DEC Finalizes New York State River Herring Regulations - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: DEC Finalizes New York State River Herring Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard box View Post
According to NYS general fishing regulations...

“A person may not possess, kill or unnecessarily injure fish in excess of the daily limit for that species.”

Therefore, one might think that “returning” a fish to the water with a live bait hook in it’s head might just constitute unnecessary injury. Instead of considering conservation regulations “silly”, or trying to find a way to circumvent the regs, or brazenly violating them, think of the reason for the regs...they are there to help the river herring. Their numbers are way down - they need help to re-populate. The bass you love to catch need them to survive.

Many of our neighboring states have implemented moratoriums on river herring. New York is one of the few that hasn’t...as yet. Consider yourselves lucky that you’re able to use 10 per day.
spare me the lecture ......

i am entitled to my opinion and no where did i say i would circumvent them or brazenly violate them

i have been fishing the hudson for 15+ years now and there are just as many herring as there have always been up my way ..... i can literally jig one within 30 seconds whenever i want

having said that i do and will follow the laws
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeTime View Post
What are you guys jigging them up with? small rigs I guess with light colors? trailers? Help me out as I am not used to the river scene but very familiar with the sound. Let me know. Thanks!
Sabiki Rigs (aka Herring rigs) ... there are many different designs, you can see diff styles in google images. Just make sure if you get ones that have 6 hooks, just cut 1 off. NY law has a max limit of 5

Just tie on, clip on a weight and jig (or cast if you want) away. Don't need to bait them or anything, if you get into schools you can get mult at a time.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
What are you guys jigging them up with? small rigs I guess with light colors? trailers? Help me out as I am not used to the river scene but very familiar with the sound. Let me know. Thanks!
Most use Sabiki rigs, 5 or 6 hooks coming off a main line with a sinker snap on the bottom. I like to use 1/2 to 1 ounce weight depending on conditions. Normally the hooks have a bead with a feather. I prefer chartreuse or red beads. Depending on the company that makes the rigs, you may have to clip off the last (6 th) hook to stay within NYS laws.

What BassinBrian said...we must have typed at the same time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Master Trophy Hunter

Try this on your sabikis, especially if you jig in a real rocky area. Cut the bottom snap swivel off. Buy an assload of 1/4 oz split shot and put them on the bottom of the sabiki instead. Make them just tight enough so that when you get snagged you just lose the split shot instead ofthe whole rig.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejunipero View Post
Try this on your sabikis, especially if you jig in a real rocky area. Cut the bottom snap swivel off. Buy an assload of 1/4 oz split shot and put them on the bottom of the sabiki instead. Make them just tight enough so that when you get snagged you just lose the split shot instead ofthe whole rig.

That's an awesome tip !
Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbrian View Post

That's an awesome tip !
that is a good idea and now i feel like a moron for not having figured that out for myself
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the tips guys. Ordering rigs now!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Senior Member Elite

Good one Pete .... makes sense!

I have gone to the round disc type sinkers - they don't get caught as much but your idea is much better
Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 PM
First Mate

great tip pete
Old 03-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Thumbs up Re: DEC Finalizes New York State River Herring Regulations

Got my rigs and an assload of splitshots! lol. Thanks and I will keep you posted when the boat goes in!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Got my rigs and an assload of splitshots! lol.
assload ?

Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Striper Hunter

Yeah, that was Pete's description of how many splitshots to have in the stash. Not too sure how many that is but I think I am covered!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 AM
chuckrudy

I put a small spoon or a small flasher on the bottom of my herring rig, it works well for me.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
It is not a limit of 10 to use per day .... it is a creel limit so you can not possess more than 10 at any given time.

10 a day would be horrible .... i will go through 100 on a good day
this should answer your questions. copied fro the DEC. web site
Changes in NY's River Herring Fishing Regulations for the Hudson River

In September 2012 DEC adopted regulations that implement the management measures in the SFP. The tables below summarize these regulations. A summary of river herring regulation changes is available as a PDF (link in the right column). Links to the regulations as adopted are above each table.
Recreational Regulations (Personal use)

6 NYCRR section 10.10

Fishing Season
  • From March 15 to June 15, fishing and harvest of river herring is allowed all days in the week and at night. NO fishing for river herring is allowed outside of these dates.
Limit to the number of herring you can keep in a day
  • Limit is 10 river herring per angler per day.
  • Once you have caught your 10 river herring for the day, that's it. You can continue to fish, but must release any you catch. All river herring caught and used for bait, count towards your daily limit.
  • If you are fishing from a boat with 5 or more people on board, the limit for the boat is 50 herring per day.
  • Charter Operations*: Charters must register with the Department to be eligible to possess 10 river herring per paying customer; or with 5 or more customers on board, a maximum of 50 herring per day, whichever is lower. Please contact the Hudson River Fisheries Unit (contact information in the right column).
Fishing in the Hudson's Tributaries or Embayment** (see note below)
  • In a tributary or embayment, river herring can only be taken by ANGLING. Angling means fishing with a rod and reel with hooks/line.
  • Tributaries include the Mohawk River above the Troy Dam.
  • Embayment means a bay of the Hudson River closed off from the main river by a natural (shoals) or man-made (railroad trestles, dredge spoil deposits, etc.) barrier with small confined entrances. Embayments can include one or several Hudson River Tributaries
  • You can not use nets to fish for river herring in any tributary or embayment. This includes dip nets, scap nets, gill nets or any other net you can think of. Gill nets are not allowed recreational fishing gear.
  • Luring a herring into a dip net with a stoolie is not angling.
Closed Areas (existing)
  • Existing regulation remains in place: Herring fishing is not permitted from Guard Gate 2 to Lock 2 on the Mohawk River (Waterford flight of locks/dams).
Personal use of nets & where you can use them
  • Nets can only be used in the main stem of the Hudson, and not the tributaries or embayments.
  • Luring a herring to a dip or scap net with a stoolie is a legal use of a net that is only allowed in the main stem of the Hudson River.
  • Maximum sizes of the nets allowed:
    • Scap/Lift Net : 16 square feet (4 feet by 4 feet)
    • Dip Net : 14 inches round or 13 inches by 13 inches square
    • Seine Net: 36 square feet
    • Cast Net: 10 feet in diameter
Marine Fishing Registration
  • Yes - you need to register! It is a free registry and must be renewed after Jan 1st of every year. You can call 1-866-933-2257 to register.
Reporting your catch
  • Reporting is not mandatory.
  • We strongly encourage you to sign up for the volunteer Hudson River Angler Diary (call 845-256-3009).
** The Hudson River Tributary and Embayment Entrances are available on a map in Google Earth. Click on the Google Earth symbol to download the map.You must have Google Earth loaded on your computer to open the file.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Senior Member Elite

that really stinks ..... and will put a serious damper on striper fishing

may just be time to try jigging with a diamond jig or trolling