Bow Fishing/Is this a sport? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:17 PM
First Mate

i actually think it would be fun, but i aqree with u guys that if they kill it they need to eat it. the arrows for that are pretty high tech. they got barbes that pop out after i enters.kinda sick how humans spent so much time and money on finding out better killing instruments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005, 06:26 AM

The World Carp Championship, the Super Bowl of carp fishing, is coming to the United States for the first time ever. It will be held June 5-10 on New York's St. Lawrence River.
The championship, expected to draw the biggest crowd in its history, will feature about 120 two-man teams. There are 20 U.S. teams registered so far, with 16 other countries represented, including Japan, France, Belgium, Russia, and Germany.
"It's the Olympics of carp fishing," said Wayne Boon, a Los Angeles resident and director of the American Carp Society, which is hosting the event. "It's the best from all over the world, it really is."
There's a lot at stake for the anglers competing.
The winning team will receive $50,000 in cash and two Chevrolet Colorado extended cab pickup trucks, each valued at more than $25,000. There will be cash prizes for second and third place, too, and a $20,000 prize for the biggest carp.

The Carp Championship will end a week before the Massena Rod & Gun Club?s annual bow-fishing tournament. Teams of archers will comb the river to shoot carp from platform-equipped boats. The three-day event attracts 300 participants, according to its organizers. This year?s contest is the 25th annual.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:44 PM

carp are a non-native nuisance fish...although bowfishing can't control the species, i don't see it as a "bad" thing.
do a google on "common carp" + trubidity...you may be suprised

— Jed Clampett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005, 01:06 PM

I used to do some bow fishing for carp when I was a kid. It's a lot more challenging that it sounds. The rivers in SE Missouri were litterally infested with them and the ecosystem was way out of balance. Because of their small mouth and feeding habits, it can be difficult to catch them on rod and reel, so bow fishing is the meathod of choice if population reduction is called for.

If bowfishing is done for this reason, I have no problem with it. Otherwise it's needless in my opinion.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:50 AM

We usually see them (bowfishers) around the town of Esopus wading in the shallows with hip waders and polarized glasses. From what I have heard this week is the carp "rut". Don't know if it is easy or hard or if it is even a sport, I'll stick to linesiders in the surf catch and release.