Learning what's bad is just as important as... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:26 AM

Default Learning what's bad is just as important as...

Learning what's bad is just as important as learning what's good if not better.

I have been a angler junky for quite some time and I have been fishing casually to avidly for 30 years. Every year I think I have attained enough knowledge to consider myself an expert compared to the year before and every year about a week later I realize how much I still have to learn.

Last spring (04) I set myself up with a carefully thought out rod and reel as well as stocking up on what I considered to be choice tackle strictly for Fire Island fishing. While I am quite succesful in Manhattan and have better gear there, I consider the Great South Bay to be my mainstay hunting grounds.

My wife and I came out to the beach today and within 45 minutes I had my gear set up and in the water x2. And within minutes... I was totally unhappy with my rod/reel combos in both feal and function.

Just last summer, my gear setup represented the culmination of my fishing expertise, that is till about the time I started visiting this forum. After visiting this forum and hearing all the great tips from Jim and anglers such as yourselves, I augmented my styles and my gear and my bait and in doing so became a far more successful fisherman( if not a better speller 8) ). Last summer was also about the time when I stopped fishing to catch whatever I could catch, and instead targeted specific species, namely stripers.

I now have a need or rather a burning desire to replace my beach gear and will do so shortly.

My point is two fold. Today I really understood that regardless of how much we think we have perfected something we can always gain greater knowledge then that which we have. After all, this gear I was so easily wanting to replace today was that which I thought was so perfect just a year ago. And as important, to recognize and be willing to accept advice and alternative tactics to our routines regardless of how comfortable we are with them in order to better our success.

Growing, be it physical, mental or spiritual is one of those things that is most profound in our lives but is often the thing we recognize the least. It was nice today when I so overtly recognized how much this forum has helped me to become a more succesful and educated angler and not because I caught a ton of fish today, but because regardless of perfect conditions,tides and action I caught none, and fully understood why.

LTF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Good post

Good post LTF,
What would be do without the internet lol.. I have also learned from many people here and some of the other forums I have visited over time. I always close the computer ... oh man I gotta give that a try and for me thats the challenge, trying new bait new ways of fishing. There are so many styles of fishing and adpating what works for you and developing your style I think is what it is all about. Nice post and it does make me think how much I have learn about striper fishing from a boat in so little time but I have so much more to learn from others. It is also nice to find a place where people will help you and exchange info.. a ton of places online will just say I got bass in RI this weekend the bite is on and I was trolling lol... that does nothing to help someone new to the sport

Fish On
Ed
Old 05-22-2005, 07:39 PM

Very eloquent post LTF and a fine read for the rest of us. Discovery should be a part of each fishing experience. I think all of us have benefitted by the information shared and the attitudes and ideals of the stirper247 community here. My hat is off to Jim, Jonny and everyone else who works hard to keep this vehicle running. Keep up the great posts!