keeping gas tank top off - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Official Member

Default keeping gas tank top off

I have a 87gal tank in my boat i keep it top off after i uae it i top it off and keep stabil in it is there any reason i cant keep haft full to lose some weight or is it better to keep it top off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: keeping gas tank top off

No, keep it full as possible. A 1/2 empty tanks leaves room for a 1/2 tank of air,moisture, and will break down fuel. The ethenol is a big issue, it attracts moisture by the buckets. Keep your tank full and use the storage amount or more ( it won't hurt) of ethenol grade Stabile.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Official Member

Depends if you're using ethanol free or not. If you can purchase Ethanol free then yes top off to prevent moisture & condensation from spoiling your gas and always use stabil.

If you're NOT using the good stuff and putting Ethanol in your tank then DO NOT top off & always use stabil.

Ethanol absorbs water. Most gas is at least %10 ethanol. The more ethanol in your tank the more water it's absorbing.

You have a gas tank in a boat... so assume that it's getting water in the gas. Trust me no mater how hard I try I get water in the gas. Ethanol is killing my carb $$$ and I made the switch right before winterizing this year to go to completely ethanol free fuel.

Good luck and hope you can find the E Free stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabites View Post
Depends if you're using ethanol free or not. If you can purchase Ethanol free then yes top off to prevent moisture & condensation from spoiling your gas and always use stabil.

If you're NOT using the good stuff and putting Ethanol in your tank then DO NOT top off & always use stabil.

Ethanol absorbs water. Most gas is at least %10 ethanol. The more ethanol in your tank the more water it's absorbing.

You have a gas tank in a boat... so assume that it's getting water in the gas. Trust me no mater how hard I try I get water in the gas. Ethanol is killing my carb $$$ and I made the switch right before winterizing this year to go to completely ethanol free fuel.

Good luck and hope you can find the E Free stuff!
What you said about ethanol doesn't even make sense, Yes if you are running E-10 it absorbs water, thats right, but if you have only a 1/2 tank of gas there is also a 1/2 tank of air which = moisture to be absorbed by the ethanol.+ and + that 1/2 empty tank will sweat like a hooker in church. Your theory above is incorrect.

KEEP YOUR TANK FULL, AND USE MARINE GRADE STABILL, there are so many mag. articles and INTERNET discussions on this subject it will make your head spin.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Official Member

cool thanks for y'all help i like to keep my 4stroke out on the shop and in the water thanks again
Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
What you said about ethanol doesn't even make sense, Yes if you are running E-10 it absorbs water, thats right, but if you have only a 1/2 tank of gas there is also a 1/2 tank of air which = moisture to be absorbed by the ethanol.+ and + that 1/2 empty tank will sweat like a hooker in church. Your theory above is incorrect.

KEEP YOUR TANK FULL, AND USE MARINE GRADE STABILL, there are so many mag. articles and INTERNET discussions on this subject it will make your head spin.

spot on.... keep your tank full and use stabilizer or pay the consequenses in the spring...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Striper Hunter

I go the other way.. Ethanol fuel turns to junk (octane wise) FAST.. I'd rather deal with a minute amount of crappy fuel then deal with a couple hundred gallons of junk.. junk fuel will kill an engine..

it does not rain in a fuel tank.. that is a myth... Sure some negligible amount of water will get in there over the winter but you're much more likely to get water in there by rainfall from a leaking fuel fill o-ring or sending unit gasket... Water can also be introduced during fill up..

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_c...fuel_tanks.htm

I run my tanks as far down as i dare, add star-tron (stabilizer) and then head to the travel lift for haul out.. I fill up in the spring with known good fuel, and change the water-seps..