An Open Letter to Boaters at Race Point. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default An Open Letter to Boaters at Race Point.

I am not trying to upset anyone or call out any reg numbers. But I set up this weekend with my wife on the North side of the beach for the day and was appalled at the activity of some of the boaters.

1. When you are returning to the top of a drift. or troll run please do not cut inside the run. between the beach and the line up of trollers. It is unsafe and makes it near impossible for people to get into the water and go for a swim when you are screaming up the sandbar at 20 MPH.

2. When you see a bunch of surfcasters hooking up on the beach at first light. Consider the effort it takes a surf guy to get to a spot and how limited his opportunity is to catch bass this time of the year. If you motor in directly over a school you will invariably spook the fish overshoot the school and kill the action not only for yourself but every one else that is fishing. It takes a lot of work for Surf guys to stay on the fish. It is dependent on wind tides rises sets etc, etc. For us to find the point on the beach that we know is going to produce on a given day because of environmental variables.

3. Respect the other boaters in your area. If you see a guy running wire and actively Jigging don't cut in between him and the next boat running your prop over the top of the jig.

4. Don't be a boogin.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: An Open Letter to Boaters at Race Point.

Jack.. it's not just the race...it's everywhere... not just big boats, but skiffs, kayaks and canoes... in 40 years of fishing/boating, I've never seen it as bad as it is now....but if you actually look at some of the questions asked on any web site, it is easy to see how clueless people are when it comes to common courtesy and respect for their fellow man.. a big wallet does not mean a big brain... usually it is quite the opposite... the last "fisherman" that ran astern of my wire line set up, drifted until boat US arrived to tow him in..... I gave him the full 300' of wire and enough backing to stop the motor.... IMHO well worth the cost of the wire to have this [email protected]$$ out of my way for the night.. I always carry a spare set up..

I see boats run right back up over the fish, often in water shallow enough to see the bottom..... they approach surface feeding fish like a tornado is coming, driving right over them and sending them to the bottom... I've had kayaks circle my boat while i fought a large striper off the bow ... the whole time casting at my hooked fish!.. I see guy's drift directly in front of a picket fence of surf casters.. IMHO, it doesn't get any more ignorant than that... in our area, good surf casting ground is precious, there simply is not alot of it.. that is why I have a boat... boats need to go and find their own fish, if the boaters are there first, they should share with the caster... most do not....and at times it gets ugly.

It's nothing but a sad display of poor sportsman ship...people need to learn to get along as well as be more respectful to the others that are sharing the sport/water...
Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Pro Staff

I don't disagree this stuff has been going on for ever. I just couldn't believe these guys in broad daylight running across the sand bar close enough to the beach that I could read there reg. letters. There were kids in the water etc. etc. just ridiculous when there is miles of ocean on the outside to run back up to the start of the drift. I felt bad for the charter guys there customers were getting hosed.

To think I actually planned on free diving the spot to check the bottom structure out at low.

The craziest part is if they move 100 yds off shore they would be trolling the edge off a 100 ft drop. If I had a boat that would probably be the first place I would check for bass in the hot august sun.
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Sonny

Gents...
Forgive me for jumping in to your post but I couldnt resist....
I fish from a 13ft aluminum skiff in Raritan Bay. It goes on there also.....but even worse. I was less than 100 ft. from shore fishing softies toward the shore. I actually had a 20 footer at full throttle come between me and that shore. I almost got bucked out of the boat. I saw him look at me as he went by and he just kept going. Sometimes I hook up and suddenly there are 3 or 4 large white boats converging on me. I have watched these morons run right through schools of bunker. ...and then there are the jet skis........

If it were only poor angling etiquette I wouldnt worry but these morons have a complete disregard for my life...............

Sonny
Old 08-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Pro Staff

Agreed Sonny, It takes most of these Boogins an extra 2 minutes to go outside drift and troll lines but they cut inside always. Just because you have the money to buy the boat doesn't mean you have the sense to use it.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
If it were only poor angling etiquette I wouldnt worry but these morons have a complete disregard for my life...............

Sonny

This came through the wire this today...

Boy, 10, killed when speedboat hits kayak

By The Associated Press
August 18, 2010 2:15 PM

HUNTINGTON — Authorities say a 10-year-old boy who was fishing with his father in a western Massachusetts lake was killed when their kayak was struck by a speedboat.

Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth Scheibel on Wednesday identified the victim as Gus Adamopoulos, of Ludlow.

Scheibel said the boy and his father, James Adamopoulos, were in the kayak at about 6:30 Tuesday night on Norwich Lake in Huntington when they were hit by the speedboat that had been pulling a water skier.

The boy was pronounced dead at a hospital. James Adamopoulos was hospitalized with a leg injury.

The district attorney said an investigation is under way to determine if criminal charges should be filed against the 37-year-old Westfield man who was driving the speedboat. His name has not been released.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:47 PM
swabbie

Damned shame but not surprising. I've seen some near misses and once had to help a kayaker who got waked so hard he tipped over.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Striper Envy

I'm an ex-surf fisherman gone boater. I was at Race point last weekend and did not see anything like this however I don't doubt you and agree with your points. Because I used to Surf fish, I believe I am sympathetic to the surf guys and try to give them space however I was running around the race last Thursday, about 150-200 yards from the beach and had two surf guys waving at me to move out further. Yes there is plenty of water between me and Boston, however in my opinion I was 100-150 yards from their baits and in 100 feet of water which is plenty of room. I mean.... when you come from the wire lining fleet off Herring cove and nearly swapping paint with the other boats, seems 150 yards from the shore guys is miles away. Just sayin.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Pro Staff

Steve I got no issues with 150-200 yds off the beach. IMHO that is plenty. The instances I was talking about were Two weeks ago, and it happens often, people were cutting inside the troll lines and running within swimming distance to the beach. For me in all honesty it had nothing to do with fishing, there were kids swimming in the water. I don't hold up much hope for daytime action in august (aside from blues) anywhere from the beach. It was a bit ridiculous. There was one guy who lost power and was literally free drifting out to sea. It was a boogin showdown for the ages. The funny thing was not a single person was on fish. Lots of wire jigging going on but not much reeling.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Striper Envy

Definitly sounds like some a-holes if there in that close.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Pro Staff

Well the situation came to a head this weekend out there. Saturday a boat was jigging with wire when another came across his wire and caught it in the prop apparently. The Guy doing the jigging on the line was injured pretty badly when the wire was grabbed by the prop an pulled tight. The Coast guard got a call for medical assistance.

There were people closer than I have ever seen this past weekend. I was tossing tins during the day and was well past the troll lines of some.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Striper Envy

Jeeze...hope the guy was alright. I can only surmise his wire line snapped back and cut him somewhere. It does get crazy out there sometimes. No fish is worth getting injured over.