Michigan Steelheader trick better than fish finder - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Michigan Steelheader trick better than fish finder

When I first went to the bait shop to fish stripers for the first time last year I was told "U got to get fish finders", so I bought them, but if you use braid (I'd imagine even for mono after a while), u know that after a couple hours of fishing the fish finder no longer really slides cause your line has cut grooves into the plastic. They cost like 3 bucks for 2, so I thoought why not use the standard michigan steelhead/salmon set-up and it worked just fine--it lasted and continued sliding nicely so those stripers will not feel your weight. The rig is made by sliding a plain swivel onto your line, then tie a couple inches of mono (the dropper) that is weaker than your main line to that swivel. On the other side of that dropper tie on a swivel and u can still exchange weights just like with a fish finder. There are 3 advantages to this set up. 1) It will last longer and will always slide nicely. 2) Less time retying. If your sinker gets snagged, unlike with a fish finder set-up, just your dropper brakes ,and you still have your leader and main line swivel. 3) Much cheaper. Buy cheap 30 pound or so swivels for a dollar for a dozen instead of 3 bucks for 2 fish finders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Almost forgot

In between your sliding dropper and the swivel that you tie to your main line for attaching leaders put a bead on the main line. The bead will protect the knot and stop the swivel from sliding onto the swivel or over the hook.