Best Boat for Albemarle Sound - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Albemarle Sound
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Albemarle Sound A forum for the Albemarle sound guys

Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 PM
swabbie

Default Best Boat for Albemarle Sound

What type of boat would you recommend for someone fishing the Albemarle Sound for stripers but who also enjoys fishing the various rivers that empty into the sound for largemouth bass, perch, etc. I generally prefer a casting deck in front and a more shallow draft but Im wondering how useful that would be in these waters. I will be moving to the area next year. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding the boat type, size, make or models. I enjoy reading the albemarle sound posts and am looking forward to learning more about the area in general.

Thanks,
Fishy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Shell Back '97

Default Re: Best Boat for Albemarle Sound

Well, I've been on the sound before when it is like glass all through the sound. A low drafting boat would do fine there, but I've also been out there in 3 and 4 foot waves when the wind picks up. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. It really all depends how often and under what weather conditions you will endure. I would look into something around an 18 - 20 foot V- Hull center console with the lowest draft you could find, that way you can still go up into the smaller rivers a bit. Or, if money permits, get a deeper V for the sound and a smaller John boat for the creeks. A tough call either way you look at it.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Striper Hunter

I have seen the Albemarle sound get nasty and fast, 21 ft v-hull w/nice bow is must for serious going. I have 2 boats 23ft hydra sport and a 18ft jones brothers skiff. confort and security plus utility with mobility. hey I didn't know I was a poet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Official member

I had the same considerations when I was boat shopping. I do a lot of tournament bass fishing, but switch over to rock in the winter. I bought a 22 ft. Sea Pro bay boat and couldn't be happier. I can get up in the shallow water right a long with the bass boats and fish the sound under all but the worst conditions. The boat has also been great for the family: boating, tubing, and fishing. I have even been to the Chesapeake Bay, Rudee and Oregon Inlet on the right days. There are other boats that are better in specific situations but, as an all around boat the bay boat can't be beat.