Boston Harbor Plan B - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 AM
swabbie

Default Boston Harbor Plan B

Headed out Sunday morning in the Boston Harbor. The fog was really bad and if I didn't have a GPS there's no way I could have gone out past the airport. Even with a GPS it was probably pretty dumb to be out there (100 ft visibility) so we decided to stay away from the islands that we usualy fish for bass at and headed to the flounder grounds. They are outside of any channel and not too close to an island. We picked up a nice fat 16" flounder in the first 45 minutes of fishing. It wasn't a bass but for a flounder it was really nice sized. It's great to see that the flounder are really getting bigger out there again and to be able to have a plan B when you can't go for bass.

When I was a kid my Dad used to rent a rowboat with a stick steer outboard on the back in quincy harbor. We'd go twice a year and fill up two garbage bags per trip of flounder and eat them all winder out of the freezer. That's what got me hooked on fishing. Even if flounder aren't my first choice anymore it's nice to see things rebounding finally now that it's cleaned up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Re: Boston Harbor Plan B

Sounds like an awesome trip Boston fisher.....was that the only one you caught? Either way that's a nice fish. My dad used to tell me stories of how the flounder fishing was amazing years back....but I'm to young to remember any of it, I probably wasn't even alive during the really good years. I tried for hours last year for flounder outside of George's Island but had no luck at all.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:12 PM
swabbie

Yeah it was the only one becuase we only fished an hour. The skates moved in and I got sick of them quickly.

It used to be amazing out here. Double headers were very common on spreader bar and there was no limit (probably should have been). I used to think fishing was always like that but now I know better and wish I had appreciated it more. I remember buses from NYC showing up with all these guys from New York piling out to fish for flounder in Quncy bay. Can you imagine them taking a grey hound bus out here now? Would never happen unless they were going to a Sox game to watch us whup them! I will say that the fish are bigger these days even if there aren't nearly as many.

PM me if you are ever going out again and I can tell you where they've been catching them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

" Can you imagine them taking a grey hound bus out here now? Would never happen unless they were going to a Sox game to watch us whup them! "

Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 PM
First Mate

Was out Sunday myself. Stripers had the bait on top for the 5 hours we were out. The fog was relentless. But amazing.

I did see a lot of folks flounder fishing on the way back to Hough's Neck though.

I used to pump gas in Quincy, and clearly remember the people from New York and New Jersey asking for directions to Harvey's, or saying they were going to the Neck for flounder.

We used to fish for them in the Neponset as kids. A 5 gallon bucket full was not unusual. Salmon eggs worked well for us. Good to hear they are on the rebound.