New jack here... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Official Member

Default New jack here...

Been a member at TIDALFISH.COM for a while and lurking here for a while...need help with a fight...maybe ya'll can help...see the attached thread...

Thanks...

BTW are there any Va residents here? If not ya'll come on down and fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Official Member

Default Re: New jack here...

To: Virginia Beach City Council

Subj: Public Access to the Lynnhaven Bar

Council Members,

It has come to my attention that the Virginia Beach Police Department has begun issuing citations for Wade Fishing the Lynnhaven Bar adjacent to the Lesner Bridge. This is a historical fishing spot and public access to fishing should not be barred nor cited. I as a tax payer find this unacceptable and a further intrusion by local government to restrict my rights and access to public lands for legally licensed recreational purposes. I have heard that the reason is to protect me from harm. I find this argument completely without merit. As a long time resident I know of no incident involving a wade fishermen at this location ever.

Fishermen who fish this location have done so for years safely and we do not deserve to be singled out for selective enforcement. We pay close attention to conditions and use prudent caution while fishing there. We dress appropriately and wear protective gear for the conditions as well. Most of the time we are wading not much more than knee deep but this allows us access to one of the premier fishing spots in Va Beach.

I expect the City Council to do the right thing and restore the rights of tax paying citizens to fish this local area with out penalty. Should the City deem necessary then the signage should be amended to reflect "No Swimming" vs the "NO WADING OR SWIMMING" signs currently in place. This would allow fishermen access to these waters and satisfy the cities need to protect the young, the elderly and those who cannot swim from entering these waters.

Respectfully submitted
Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 PM

Hi Beach welcome to the board.

I suppose emails from out of staters wouldnt hurt either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Welcome!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:59 PM
First Mate

Nice letter.

There is another thread about this issue, as well.

While I live in Massachusetts, I here are specific protections in each of our Commonwealths to guarantee access for fishing. I think this signage oversteps those boundaries.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.