September 11, 2008 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Indiana Stripers and Wipers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Wiper Guru

Default September 11, 2008

The fishing was good in the afternoon. The lake was glassy. No wind. No surface activity, but the fish were pretty easy to find at the bottom of about 18 feet of water. I put in at Paynetown in the late afternoon. Fished Eads Inlet--nothing. Headed down lake and did not find any feeders until the dam. Saw some surface stirrings there, tossed a TNT lure into the fray and came up with a 6.5 pounder. We marked many more in that area but did not find any active feeders. Back up at Eads we fished until dark. Just at sunset the surface exploded and for about a half hour we caught as many fish as we could haul into the boat. Unfortunately, the largest was only about a five pounder and the average was 2-3 pounds, so we didn't get that sense that we might not win the battle. So I switched to 6# test and that seemed to make all the difference. It is amazing how much fight a feeding wiper has in it, regardless of the size. I bet we caught twenty fish in the 2-3 pound class. That light tackle in that situation is nothing short of exhillerating to use.
We left the lake as darkness settled over all. It has apparently poured just before we put out, so that drove most people off the water and they did not come back. I believe we were one of very few people plying those waters. At dusk a steamy mist crawled over the hills and through the trees and hung at the surface of the lake, and coyotes started howling around the Boy Scout Camp. Very eerie. Very beautiful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: September 11, 2008

sorry i missed this. great report and the last part is just histerical. being from nyc i have lived in midwest but i freak out when i see a beaver crossing the river. my fog stories are insane to say the least.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Official Member

Sounds like a fun trip. Reminds me of fishing for them on a foggy morning and hearing them bustin' and trying to cast to them. Those days are getting pretty close now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

It sounds like ya had a BLAST!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Wiper Guru

You guys are right. It is great to have a good day on the water at this sad, sad time of the year when the leaves have not quite turned and there is a tinge of chill at the edge of the wind and you know in the pit of your soul that winter is coming. I suppose it's good since it gives the fish a rest, but it sure drives you crazy to have to sit indoors and wait for spring.