Melted my coil on my outboard - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Striper Hunter

Thumbs down Melted my coil on my outboard

Ok, so its my first outboard bigger than 20 hp and my battery was dead, so i put the charger on it in rapid charge mode for 4-6 hours while I was messing with the wiring for my fishfinder, trailer, etc... I hooked up the trailer and hit the road and noticed i was leaving a trail of liquid behind the boat. I pulled in for gas and could smell burning electrical coming from somewhere and could hear hissing coming from inside the outboard cover. So I took the cover off and my coil was red hot to the touch and cracked right down the middle pissing and bubbling fluid oil.

Has anyone ever had this happen?? In retrospect I probably should have known to remove the battery for charging, which I will always do moving forward, but I had never seen or heard of this before.

Does power always go to the ignition coil even when its not running??

Any input would be much appreciated because at this rate I will never get on the water LOL!!!

Thanx
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Melted my coil on my outboard

OK, so I put the new coil in, connected the battery and guess what......The new coil started getting hot! Now, correct me if i am wrong but with the ignition in the OFF position there should be NO POWER to the coil correct AGH!!!!!????

What the heck am I doing wrong??

Can someone please offer some insight here as would be grateful.

Thanx
Mike
Old 05-20-2008, 12:20 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

diagnosing this type of thing over the internet is a BAD idea....

First... always disconect the battery when charging with the battery...
Second: prior to charging,always make sure that the battery electrolite is at the proper leval, if is not, the plates can heat up, ruining the battery and posssibly the charger...

Third: Outboard motors can run with out the key, all you need to do is disconect the harness,electricity can flow through the entire system even when the ignition is switched off,it's complicated and would take too long to explain the entire working of the electrical system, this is why, whenever you change the prop, the spark plug wires SHOULD be disconnected and grounded... no one does it, but the manual recomends it and I have SEEN them start...

Your problems are alot deeper than a fried coil, I suspect a fried harness or stator, the stator being a strong possibility because it is connected to both the battery and the ignition coil(s)...by trying to rapid charge the battery while still connected to the boats wiring, you have forced too many amps through the wires for them to handle, thus melting them, creating a short...this is all just a theory, but I suspect it to the problem...., by not seeing the engine, I'm only speculating, but this is as deep as I care to take it over the net... I wish you luck, you've learned a hard lesson... never rush anything... rushing only leads to disaster and mistakes... most often costly...
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the info, I am taking it to be looked at today and was unaware of most of what you said..

Thanks Roc