Found Lunkerville (Boston Harbor), even though it was plan B - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Lunker

Default Found Lunkerville (Boston Harbor), even though it was plan B

Fishing Reports in Boston Harbor have been pretty bad. So I had a trip with a co-worker and had time to think about putting him on fish. In spite of the bad reports, I had some intel on pogies so I figured I'd give it a shot. How many times have I used info and it did not work for me? Most of the time. That being said I tried the contrarian approach thinking hell, fish where no one is catching and see what happens.

Conditions:Threat of storms, no wind, barometer 30" and falling, cloud cover, got out 5:00 am two hours after dead low tide. Launched from Winthrop and headed to Faun Bar for a First light bite which worked to get the skunk out. Three 28" fish in 30 minutes.

Went to the UDL for pogies and they were not there for me(what a suprise!). Wasted five gallons of gas going everywhere and marked next to nothing for fish.

Plan B: Throw the chartreuse Bomber long A at pier structure everywhere in the inner harbor. If you have the tide this has always produced for me. twitch, twitch, pause. If your not getting hung up in the piers your not getting close enough. Throw at the end of the piers, between the pier pilons. Don't use anything less than a medium 6.5 foot rod which imparts the motion to the bomber that will always catch you stripers.

As we enter the inner harbor I start marking small bait but not sure what it is. We end up drifting in a spot where there is usually an oil tanker, but its not there. Tern's are nesting, squaking and feeding thier young what looked like sand eels. We start csting the bomber and immediately hook up. double and triples. The FF lit up showing a huge bait ball and a school of stripers.

My boy was using a fresh water bomber with beads in it (for large mouths) and he was getting the most hook ups. Next thing you know we land three fish in the 30# range. I was have a tough time cause I gave my rod to my son who gave his rod to our guest, leaving me with a light tackle, soft, rod with a sahara 750 fresh water reel. it could not impart the motion needed but I kept casting. I think it also cost me the biggest fish of my life cause the tip was so soft I could not stay tight when the fish turned.

Now for the suckiest part of the trip. I get a bite and the drag is as tight as possible yet the reel is screaming. The fish comes up and tail slaps. We see what looked like the only trophy I've ever had on any line, a good 48" to 52" fish. He (or she) then proceeds around the boat in a circle. I held the rod almost straight up and ran around to the other side of the boat. My son and the other guy said my line had a wake behind it the fish was swimming so fast.

Long and short here is after he ran in the circle I tried to reel down and pull the rod to my side to stay tight. The fish turned the other way, slacked my line, came up and shook me loose. Man, they must have that down pat from shaking fiesty lobsters and crabs.

Bottom line was forty to fifty boated fish. 5 over 30#. None kept.

Weapon was chartreuse bober long A (don't use the salt version it's motion is totally different) on a medim to heavy 6" ugly stick.

Best day so far this year. When I get the pics I'll post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement