Motor Trouble - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Motor Trouble

I have a 1982 Johnson 15 hp with a newly rebuilt carb and fuel pump. Motor starts hard, but runs very strong when giving throttle. Motor wiull not idle hardly at all, any clues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 04:22 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Motor Trouble

sounds like the low speed adjustment is set incorrectly... take it back to whomever rebuilt it and tell them to fix it properly....
Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Official Member

Check compression. Pull all plugs then check each cylinder.. betting it is low on compression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for replies, will check compression. The guy that did the rebuild is not really into boat motors, he runs a garage, but has done work on a few of his own, i took it to him not running and he made it run, i broke the cam follower and am currently waiting for a replacement..
if the compression is low, is there any thing I can do?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:08 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

2 stroke motors have two stages of compression, primary and secondary, the secondary is the only compression you as a boat owner can check... because the motor runs strong in the top end, i seriously doubt the compression is an issue... but compression check should always be done during tune ups and before diagnosing any performance problems......that is the reason I did not mention it...it would have been nice if you had mentioned that you broke the cam follower.....once you get a new one.... buy a service manual and set the engine up properly before trying to diagnose performance problems...make sure you have new spark plugs in it as well.. if the guy that rebuilt the carb is qualified to rebuild... he should be able to help you set the engine up and adjust the carb....
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
2 stroke motors have two stages of compression, primary and secondary, the secondary is the only compression you as a boat owner can check... because the motor runs strong in the top end, i seriously doubt the compression is an issue... but compression check should always be done during tune ups and before diagnosing any performance problems......that is the reason I did not mention it...it would have been nice if you had mentioned that you broke the cam follower.....once you get a new one.... buy a service manual and set the engine up properly before trying to diagnose performance problems...make sure you have new spark plugs in it as well.. if the guy that rebuilt the carb is qualified to rebuild... he should be able to help you set the engine up and adjust the carb....
I just asked him and he said the compression was fine, i ordered the part last week so it should hopefully be hear within a day or so, and i will buy a service manual.\
Oh and i broke the cam follower after I had tryed to run it so I tested it working.....even though it may have been already been screwed up
Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Striper Hunter

Well got the cam follower on and got the low speed adjustment....adjusted motor now idles good , but still starts hard cold, 5 or 6 pulls if you catch it properly miss it and i'll be a little longer. Confused because it takes one pull to start when warm. Outboards are a pain in the balls.

Anyway going out tomorrow to do a test run.

Thanks Roccus and to the others that chimed in.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Official Member

Default need some helpful info

hey my name is larry i have an 1984 johnson 65hp outboard i had to replace the ontrol cables that go from the satlk to the motor i get the engine to idle and warmed up after that it wont start right back up again and have to choke it while its warm to get it going i have a feeling i have a issue with fuel flow and cables not adjusted right
anyone have any ideas please would be very helpful thank you