Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Catskill Shore Fishing Advice

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  justneedthat1bite 
#1 ·
I am shore bound this year.

I fish the catskill park by port of call and various spots in the creek in town.

The river side has one heck of a tide to work against at the park, I think my rig is getting dragged into a big rock and not presenting well.

You can fish the creek mouth at the park during those heavier currents.

I usually use slider rigs or use 3 ways swivels, either case on 24-36" leaders, usually 5/0 or 7/0 hooks, and 2-6oz pyramid sinkers. I put on chunk, then when I get a few live herring, I put those out and hook them in the nose.

Is there any general advice on whether the creek mouth or river edge is better at any times or tides. What about early versus late season advice too.

There is no catskill creek map anymore, atleast since Irene changed things around.

Also, I picked up a scaup net. The only one I could get was not dyed 4x4' and 1/4 nylon mesh. The white net going to reduce my chances of netting a good bit or not.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've fished the point many many times the last 6 years. I did overnighters daily a few years back when I lived out that way. Its a great spot and had some good action but never seemed to dial it in like I have out in saugerties. The point is actually the only spot I preffer a regular net to stoolie vs a scap net. Regarless of tide the shoreline is to deep and rocky to get a good set with a scap net. Its hard to even wade and dangerous with the deep water and strong current. I also use heavier sinkers there for sure. 3 is my standard but there a 4 or 5oz is more efficient and still get dragged. There's many snags from bolts on pilons that'll catch your net. I had two patch mine twice from there this year. I did get my first shore striper their this year a few weeks ago on live and bait is usually pretty good there. I've always done best right next to the pier for bait. I like the tip of the point on incoming tide and prefer the two wooden pillons with the rope- mid shore on the outgoing. Most of my fish have come from the mid shore section. Never had steady enough action to really pattern them there well but from my logs I've noticed what seems to be a good late evening bite- maybe midnight I've had my best action. Most other shore spots I rely heavily on first light bite. On a few occasions I've done very well catching the 1st outgoing tide during or after a good rain when the creek dinges up and fishing the mudline. Even on

#3 ·
The color of your netting will affect the herring a bit but more when their already a lil spooky to begin with. When there really on it it don't matter much. On the other side of that there's plenty of times herring are everywhere splashing near you and don't seem to follow. I black out my nets. Nothin a lil spray paint won't accomplish. Its does help overall. I've fine tuned techniques for stoolieing that catches me bait more than everyone else everywhere I fish, time after time. I call it impatient stoolieng usuing what I like to call blind swipes. I cast out and bring it straight to the net n pull everytime wether I see em or not. Sounds easy but it takes practice to fine tune gettin it through the net in one smooth motion by yourself. I don't give em a chance to turn away and don't even see at least 80% of the herring I catch specially when baits tough. Can't scoop em up if your not pullin the net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.