Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Albemarle Sound - Fishing report network

106K views 371 replies 55 participants last post by  fishfinder94 
#1 ·
I would like to set up a report network of individuals who fish the Albemarle sound for Striped Bass (Rock) in the fall and some in the spring. Many do not want to share their information about the Sound and their luck fishing, but I was hoping to find some who are like me, transplanted to the area and do not have the time to go out on the water every day to see what is happening. I mainly would like to just keep track of where schooling fish are, so we don't have to run $$$ of gas in the boat to find them. I can figure out how to catch them from there, and would be happy to share any success, especially if you catch and release the majority of the time.

We can either just post here or email each other directly. So if there are any takers....? Thanks.

#4 ·
Hey COUNT ME IN. Just found the board but I will be posting here every time we go out. Got a bass tournament this weekend but will be fishing the MATEO Rockfish Rodeo the following weekend and will post what we do. My sons and neighbor fish a lot around Edenton, Manns Harbor and the mouth of the Roanoke. Hopefully we can get some guys to turn loose of some more information. Good Luck.
I take it that you are Navy... I am also, 24 years. Retired in 1989.

#5 ·
I'm in too... although I might rather email than post info on the board for all to see. I just found this website and got excited, but there is no info on the Albemarle which is disappointing. I've been fishing this area for about 4 years now and this time of year I'm on the water weekly. It would be useful to have some more eyes and ears out there.

#6 ·
By the way, fishing has improved dramatically recently. Caught some nice keepers up to 22" today... not the poor type from the last few weeks but nice fat chunks. If the wind is calm this week I believe we'll have a good chance of seeing some schooling fish.

What's the story with the local sound rockfish tournaments? I know some exist, but I can't seem to find any info on when/where. I haven't seen any advertised either. I am aware of Rockfish Rodeo, but aren't there others (in the sound)?

#64 ·
:navy:
By the way, fishing has improved dramatically recently. Caught some nice keepers up to 22" today... not the poor type from the last few weeks but nice fat chunks. If the wind is calm this week I believe we'll have a good chance of seeing some schooling fish.

What's the story with the local sound rockfish tournaments? I know some exist, but I can't seem to find any info on when/where. I haven't seen any advertised either. I am aware of Rockfish Rodeo, but aren't there others (in the sound)?

#7 ·
We tried to start a tournament trail this year but it flopped. We had 10 boats in the 1st tournament and 2 in the 2nd so we canceled the rest. We had fliers out and an article in the newspaper but no takers. It may have been that we had too high of an entry fee $80.00. We may try this again next year. Anyone interested let Jerry at Pembroke Fishing center know.

#8 ·
I'm in. I live in Edenton and fish all over the sound. Fished in the Fathom This tournament 11-11. We had a limit of fish over 20" but the largest was only 22". 1st place was over 5 lb. I don't know of any more local tournaments this year. There was one out of the Midway ramp in Edenton 11-11 but I am not sure of the results. I still have not seen or heard of any birds working the sound. Hopefully these cold fronts will spark something.

#11 ·
No need to steer anyone away sundrop.
If you do a google search on north carolina striped bass fishing
you will find our point of reference.
Were trying to build this forum right here.
Your participation is welcomed. thumbsup.gif

#13 ·
Tough conditions and tough fishing. The weather was more suited to duck hunting... we saw plenty of groups of divers and a few small groups of big ducks while we fished. We fished the area we'd been catching them last weekend. We tried casting and trolling. We caught a poor 20" fish casting and lost another at the boat while trolling (probably 20" or so). Not much showing up on the finder either. Everyone we talked to said they had a hard time catching anything. The winning fish was 10.44 lbs and caught from Manns Harbor bridge while trolling a Mann's stretch 15. The next 3 places were 7 lb fish caught at Mann's Harbor, although one of those was supposedly caught at the Manteo bridge (that's what the guy said, not sure which he was talking about). Barely anyone went to the ocean... winning fish was 19 lbs and only 8 or 9 ocean rock were caught total. Approximately 180 folks signed up for the tournament this year... down from years past. Water temp was 57 degrees and the water was dirty.

#14 ·
I'm a little late, but I'm in too!

Just found this site last night. I also fished the Fathom This striper tounament on 11 Nov, but didn't catch enough to even mention.

I actually live 280 miles west of Hertford, but try to get down there as often as possible. The chance to be able to get some up to date infomation on where folks are catching fish will be invaluable.

I think this site has the potential to be a wonderful means to share information amongst those of us who fish the Albemarle area.

Again, GREAT SITE!!

#15 · (Edited)
Count me in! I live in Durants Neck and launch at the wildlife ramp. This is our first year with a boat and we've had a great time fishing the Perquimans river.

The first day of striper season I landed a 25" striper and 24" redfish off Harvey Point using a motor oil-colored worm. Just off the boat ramp we have caught numerous white and yellow perch on beetle spinners, and in Sutton Creek we've caught quite a few largemouth bass, crappie, bluegill and perch.

Lately though, these same fishing areas have yielded little to no fish and I am curious as to where the fish move throughout the sound during the year. Specifically, I am interested in the migration habits of stripers and white perch as these are the fish that have apparently moved either up the river towards the bridge or into the sound.

If you want to know the current weather conditions near the southern Perquimans River check out my weather station here:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNCHERTF1
or
http://www.mindcushion.com/weather/

I am looking forward to posting here and I hope to see more folks join the Albemarle Fishing Report Network.

Ron

#23 ·
Saturday's weather was great for fishing. Now if we can just get some fish...

Had a nice one on but he dove in the stumps and sheared the line. There's a fish swimming around the river with a Rat-L-Trap hanging from its mouth. Saw a few folks at the ramp and they didn't have any luck either.

Too windy today, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.