Martha's Vineyard Fishing Derby - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:59 PM

man, I wish I was that lucky out there, 8 foot waves, raining down, thats divine intervention.

Im still trying to break 25 or 30 #

(38 inch 20 lbs is my record)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 04:01 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

CONGRATS TO MOLLY, THAT IS AN AMAZING CATCH. KUDOS TO HER MOM AND DAD FOR GETTING HER INVOLVED IN SOMETHING LIKE FISHING. MUCH BETTER THAN VIDEO GAMES AND MTV.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Memories

I could remember catching a pail full of sunnys using baloney for bait when I was younger & that was such a big deal.
Congrats to Molly. The pic of her holding up that cow should land her an endorsement deal with Wheaties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 02:26 PM

Default MV Fishing Derby

I am new to Stripers247. I am planning a trip in mid-September to fish the Martha's Vineyard Derby. I will have a 21ft Lund Alaskan rigged with trolling motors and lots of gear. Any suggestions on good spots / lures / baits would be appreciated. The boat is able to go almost anywhere around the island / ledges, etc.

Thanks

TPMACKA
Old 09-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

The 61st annual Martha's Vineyard Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby begins Sunday September 10th
Old 09-14-2006, 09:49 PM
First Mate

Old 10-19-2006, 03:52 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default Re: Marthas Vinyard Derby

EDGARTOWN -- The Martha's Vineyard Striped Bass & Bluefish Derby
The month-long annual tournament has been held since 1946. This year more than 3,000 fishermen targeted striped bass, false albacore, bonito, and bluefish.
There is also more than $350,000 in prizes. Over the years, prizes have included everything from hams, shoes, and chopsticks, to boats and cars. This year the grand awards are a 19-foot Boston Whaler Montauk fishing boat with an outboard motor and trailer and a 2006 Nissan Titan pick up.
Overall leaders
Bass - Boat
David C. Hearn
43.86 lbs.
Bass - Shore
Leo B. Lecuyer
40.19 lbs
Bluefish - Boat
Francis Fisher
17.36 lbs.
Bluefish - Shore
William A. Pate
13.87 lbs.
Bonito - Boat
Joseph P. Canha
11.42 lbs
Bonito - Shore
Don S. Sexton
9.84 lbs
Albacore - Boat
Geoff K. Codding
13.25 lbs
Albacore - Shore
Richard N. Hall
14.63 lbs.

http://www.mvderby.com/index.html
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM

Default Marthas Vinyard Derby Book

Gone Fishin' : An Island visit spawned newspaperman's first book

By Nelson Sigelman
Published: July 2, 2009

In April, Atlantic/Monthly published "The Big One: An Island, an Obsession, and the Furious Pursuit of a Great Fish." The story focuses on the 62nd annual Martha's Vineyard Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby and in the process describes the fishermen, culture, and history of this singular Island event.

Author David Kinney weighs in a 17-pound striped bass.
Photo by Louisa Gould

Even before the book was released, DreamWorks Studio bought the film rights. It was quite a catch for David Kinney.
Mr. Kinney is a former reporter for the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Associated Press, and the Newark Star-Ledger, where he contributed to the Ledger's Pulitzer-Prize winning reporting on the resignation of Gov. Jim McGreevey.
Mr. Kinney is also an enthusiastic fisherman. He lives outside Philadelphia in Haddonfield, N.J., with his two children and his wife, Monica Yant Kinney, metro columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer. "The Big One" is his first book.
There are a lot of fishing tournaments. How did you find the Martha's Vineyard Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby?
One year, on a trip through New England, I spotted a mention of the Derby in a tour guide. It was November, but my wife and I decided to take the ferry and see the Vineyard. I remember it was cold and dreary, and we didn't have anywhere to stay, so we just drove to Edgartown, took a picture of the shuttered weigh station, grabbed dinner and then head off-Island. But I was intrigued. I'm a fisherman, and I told my wife I had to return one day and fish the thing. A few years later, I read the Robert Post classic, Reading the Water: Adventures in Surf Fishing from Martha's Vineyard, which reminded me about the derby and introduced me to the rich vein of fishing stories on the Island.
I'd always wanted to write a book. After I quit my newspapering job to take care of my daughter in 2004 - she was then seven months old - it seemed like the time to give it a try. The Derby kept bouncing around in my head. The setting for the story couldn't be beat - as people who love the Vineyard can appreciate - and I thought it would make an interesting story. Once I dove into it, I found I was right.
Did you ever wonder how on earth you would turn this fishing marathon into a book?

There were some moments of grave doubt, especially when it dawned on me how difficult it would be to get secretive fishermen to let me - an off-Islander, a writer, and a fellow derby competitor - follow them around. I had one entirely sleepless night on the Island a month before the derby, when I thought I'd have to give back my advance because I couldn't seem to talk anybody into my plan. I finally got out of bed at 4:30 in the morning, bleary-eyed, and drove down to Menemsha, where I invited myself aboard a boat. Two part-time commercial fishermen were going out to fish for stripers, and I watched in amazement as they caught six 20- to 30-pounders in barely half an hour. I had never seen anything like it. This was my introduction to yo-yoing, the deadly fishing technique that would rattle the derby two months later. Yo-yo baits are (usually) menhaden weighted with lead slugs to make them more enticing to big stripers. I had a lot of lucky breaks in the course of reporting the book, and getting the chance to witness yo-yoing firsthand was one of them.
That morning also helped me see that if I hung around long enough, I'd find enough fishermen willing to invite me along and tell their stories, and that's what ultimately happened. When I drove home from the Derby, I knew I had what I needed. Not only had I heard a lot of great stories from tournaments past, not only had I fished with a lot of anglers, but I also had been fortunate enough to witness the classic Derby tale of Lev Wlodyka and his lead-bellied fish. It was just a matter of putting it all together.
What triggered the formation of your premise, the moment when you knew what the story was?
This was a leap of faith. I started with a hunch that I'd find something more than just your standard fishing tournament. I read everything I could find about the derby - particularly the coverage in the Island papers - and began interviewing some fishermen. At the end my first trip to the Vineyard, in the spring of 2007, I left fairly convinced that if I spent the whole five weeks at the Derby, there'd be an entertaining story to tell.
In that first trip, I met many of the anglers featured in the book. Lev took a break from overhauling his boat to give me a tour of Menemsha, and I met his father, Walter, who is a great storyteller. Buddy and Lisa Vanderhoop shared dozens of tales during a bitterly cold scalloping trip. Steve Amaral showed me the photographs of some of his impressive catches. I heard the story of the Dick Hathaway controversy. I stopped in to see Patrick Jenkinson at Up-Island Automotive, had dinner with Geoff Codding at the Newes, hung out in Coop's shop for three hours, and sat down with Ed Jerome, Derby president.
All of them told me the same thing. This derby is a big deal on the Island. Whether you're the competitive sort who really wants to win it all, or you're a fisherman looking for an excuse to escape for a while and hang out with friends, the contest is a way of life for five weeks. I was shocked by how seriously everyone took it. Outsiders say, It's just a fishing contest. But on the Island, I saw that it was more than that. I could see it in the blanket newspaper coverage. I could see it in the fact that major controversies erupt every so often. People get addicted to it and have to come back year after year.

Walter says the Derby is "a sacred kind of thing," which sounds like an exaggeration. But I heard that from fisherman after fisherman, and it became the driving force of the story.
You spent a lot of time fishing on Martha's Vineyard. What did you discover that delighted you or disappointed you?
It really is an inteiresting place to fish, and if I lived there, I have a feeling I would slip into obsessive fisherman mode pretty quickly. During the season, it seems like you can always find a place where the conditions are fishy. And the variety of locations is pretty compelling. One day you can fish South Beach, another day you can fish an inlet like Menemsha, or you can take a boat out and try Gay Head or Middle Ground or (as you New Englanders call it) the Hootah. If you're hardcore you can try to drown yourself on Squibnocket. If you know somebody or you want to take a long hike, you can fish the spooky North Shore. And it's all close at hand. I don't know how people who fish get anything else done on the Vineyard.
Disappointments? There's more open real estate than a newcomer like me could fish in five weeks, but for regulars, it's a shame that a lot of the beaches are off-limits these days. I don't much like the idea that you have to know somebody or get permission to access some prime fishing water.
If you were sitting in an Irish pub and the guy next to you asked you what your book was about, what would you tell him?
I'd tell him what I tell everybody else. It's a book about a bunch of obsessed fishermen on Martha's Vineyard and the annual tournament that brings them all into close contact. I tell them about the great lengths people go to win the thing. I tell them about the guys who have tried to steal the top prize in years past. (Everybody is fascinated by the cheating stories.) And I tell them the story of Lev and the fish I called "Leadbelly."
Your readers are no doubt aware of what happened, but to recap, Lev caught a 57-pound striped bass - topping a 56-pounder landed earlier in the derby. When he brought it to the weigh station, the filet master discovered 10 lead weights in its stomach. That set off days of debate and controversy as the committee decided what to do. It seems obvious that an Islander who had won the derby five times wouldn't do something as boneheaded as stuff a big fish. Quickly it became apparent that the striper had swallowed a bunch of those lead-filled yo-yo baits. But the Derby had a tough time figuring out whether to count Lev's fish or not. The affair made my writing job much easier. It gave me a cliffhanger for the start of the book, and a way to dip into some of the sticky issues that the Derby has to consider every year.
DreamWorks Studios bought the rights to your book. Mad Max in waders or Farrelly Brothers comedy? Where do you see it going?
It's way too early to say what sort of treatment Hollywood will give the story. Whatever happens, it will be surreal to see it all play out.

How many fish did you catch during the Derby?
You had to bring that up, huh? I suppose I should act like a fisherman and just make up some outlandish number. But since this book is nonfiction, I'll stick to the facts. I caught eight or nine stripers, including a 30-something pounder with Lev. I got a half-dozen albies from boat and shore, and my first and only bonito with Patrick Jenkinson. Ed Jerome took me out on the Wayfarer and put me over some mean bluefish. He patiently coached me on setting the hook in deep water, then watched in horror as I let one of the blues slash my finger while I tried to remove the hook.
So all in all, what's that? Maybe 20 fish? Not a lot, considering I spent all five weeks at the Derby. My excuse is that I had the distraction of actually reporting the book. I spent hours writing notes about what I saw. I spent some days in the library or the historical society, or doing interviews off the water. Many times I went out and just watched people catching fish, which was painful. I did go out on my own on the second-to-last night and catch a 17-pounder on live eels at Cape Poge Gut, which got me a third place daily pin and helped me salvage a bit of pride.
But now I've got a good excuse to come back for the derby every fall, and I'm looking forward to a Derby when I can give the fishing my full and undivided attention. Maybe I'll get lucky one year and catch a big one of my own.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Martha's Vineyard Fishing Derby

A NEW EASTERN 24 AND CHEVY TRUCK ARE 2009 MV DERBY GRAND PRIZES
Record Prizes To Be Awarded in 2009
August 4, 2009, Martha’s Vineyard Island, MA – The Martha’s Vineyard Striped Bass & Bluefish Derby, one of the Nation’s oldest and most-prestigious fishing tournaments, today announced that they have secured a record setting prize package for 2009! Despite somewhat gloomy financial times, top sponsors have stepped up and anglers will have a chance to win a record number of prizes, including a new Eastern 24 boat package or a Chevy Silverado pick-up from Clay Family Dealerships!
A new sponsor in 2008, Eastern Boats of Milton, NH has upped the ante significantly in 2009 and will donate one of their brand new 24 foot center console fishing boats, complete with a new 135 hp Honda four-stroke motor and trailer. The Eastern classic "Down East" style hull provides a smooth ride and excellent fuel economy. This prize package alone is worth almost $55,000.
Bob and Fran Clay of Clay Family Dealerships will continue their generous Derby tradition of providing a brand new loaded Chevy Silverado pickup truck for the Boat Division Grand Prize. Clay Family Dealerships of Massachusetts carry the Nissan, Subaru, Hyundai, and Chevrolet lines and Bob and Fran Clay are avid Derby anglers and a strong husband and wife fishing team.
Additional 2009 Major Sponsors include, Berkley, Boone Bait Company, Patagonia, Penn, Vineyard Bottled Waters/Keurig, and Vineyard Vines.
The Eastern Boats and Clay Cars Grand Prizes will be awarded by luck of the draw to one of four anglers who catch the largest striped bass, bluefish, false albacore, or bonito from either the shore and boat division in the month-long Derby. The 2009 Derby Awards Ceremony will be held at the new Nectars Nightclub at the MV Regional Airport at 1:00 PM Sunday October 18th.
The non-profit September/October Derby is run entirely by volunteers and relies on support from a wide range of sponsors for its $300,000+ in cash and prize awards. Since 1948, the Derby is held every Fall and has evolved into the premier saltwater fishing tournament on the East Coast. Over 3000 anglers participate in the month-long Derby and 2009 dates are Sunday, September 13th - Saturday, October 17th. Last year, the Derby awarded $30,000 in scholarships to graduates of the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School. The Derby supports local conservation causes, various youth organizations, and safe boating awareness through its charitable contributions. The core of the Derby’s mission is to support and protect recreational fishing efforts. For more information on fishing the Derby or to donate merchandise, please visit www.mvderby.com.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Official Member

Derby Begins; Big Bass Tips the Scale

By MARK ALAN LOVEWELL
http://www.mvgazette.com

The 65th Martha’s Vineyard Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby opened on Sunday; so far there are 1,400 fishermen registered.
The biggest striped bass weighed in at the Edgartown headquarters is a 32-pounder brought in Wednesday morning by Evan D. Metropoulous, a boat angler with a reputation for loving to be on the water and a persistence in catching big fish.
Large bluefish weighing in the teens are already coming in. Sandy E. Fisher of Edgartown brought in a 13.74-pound bluefish he caught from a boat in the first hours of the derby. The two other boat leaders were brought in the same morning.
Sunday morning is the Kids’ Derby, when at least 200 young fishermen aged four to 14 will show up at the newly renovated Oak Bluffs Steamship Authority wharf for an early morning of fishing. Last year 300 young anglers fished the popular tournament, with almost as many parents and relatives. Fishing begins at first light and ends by about 9 a.m. The contest is free.
Cooper A. Gilkes 3rd of Edgartown is chairman of the event. And many derby members will be on hand to help. “Dress warmly,” Mr. Gilkes advised yesterday. Some bait will be available; youngsters must bring their own tackle.
For 364 days a year the spot is closed to anglers, but on this day the youngest Island fishermen reign, at least for a few hours before the first ferry arrives.

Derby weigh station already a busy place.
In years past the kids have caught everything that the derby fishing contest honors: striped bass, bluefish, false albacore and bonito. But youngsters have also caught other kinds of fish including scup, fluke, sea robins, an occasional crab and even a lobster. On occasion they’ve even caught tropical fish and puffer fish. Fish are measured by length, not weight. So it is possible to win a prize by catching a long, slithering eel.

Back to the big fishing derby, as many as 3,000 fishermen are expected to register in the month-long contest which began Sunday. The weigh-in station at the foot of Main street in Edgartown opened at 8 a.m.; the first angler to weigh in a fish was Dan Benedetto of West Tisbury, a food salesman. Mr. Benedetto has been fishing the derby since 1984. In 2004, he was a winner for a 15.40-pound bluefish caught from the shore. On Sunday morning, he weighed in two striped bass that were good looking but not big enough to make the daily board.
Following right behind Mr. Benedetto was Chip Bergeron, 70, of West Tisbury. Mr. Bergeron weighed in an 18.22-pound striped bass he caught from the shore with a flyrod. Mr. Bergeron’s fish still leads the contest in the flyrod division, not only as the largest, but the only flyrod striped bass big enough to make it on the board. Mr. Bergeron is regarded as one of the Island’s top flyrod anglers. He holds the derby flyrod grand slam shore record, an award for the angler who catches all four species of fish in one derby with a top total weight over other grand slam anglers.
For the second year, Bob and Sarah Nixon, the owners of the Beach Plum Inn in Menemsha will host a group of wounded veterans to fish in the derby for four days. The group of 12 veterans will arrive on the Island on Monday to fish the American Heroes Saltwater Challenge. The wounded vets will fish on Monday and Tuesday; they have been given free registration and a special awards ceremony for them will be held on Thursday.

Chip Bergeron’s 18.22-pound bass leads flyrod division.
“They have gone through so much. They were wounded in a conflict. This is one way for us to say thank you to them for their service to the country,” said Maria Black, Beach Plum Inn co-organizer of the event. “This gives them something really pleasant to do, and for a while they get to put their troubles aside,” she said.
“Last year we had a veteran tell us he felt like he had hit the lottery when he came here fishing,” Ms. Black said. The participating veterans come from across New England and Washington, D.C.
The derby ends Saturday, Oct. 16.
The weigh-in station is open daily from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.. Registration is $45 for adults, and $20 for children and senior citizens.
High surf is expected through the weekend from Hurricane Igor. The storm is expected to pass hundreds of miles east of Cape Cod and the Islands. Surf fishermen are advised to use caution along south-facing beaches.