Slow start to season Albany north - Stripers247.com Forums
 
Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM
lureboy17 lureboy17 is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Latham
Posts: 101
Default Slow start to season Albany north

The season started out pretty good till the rain came. The river turned to mud and haven't seen a striper in two weeks. Hopefully the fish move in and the water clears up before the ale house tourney on saturday.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-22-2013, 07:52 PM
freddie the j freddie the j is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 572
Default Re: Slow start to season Albany north

Seems kinda normal to me. River is always going up and down this time of year.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM
bassfisher91 bassfisher91 is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Albany
Posts: 22
Default Re: Slow start to season Albany north

I know it sucks waiting for the stripers but I've still been having fun catching tons of cats, some of them pretty good sized as well. Better than staying home when the river gets muddy.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 AM
freddie the j freddie the j is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 572
Default Re: Slow start to season Albany north

True facts: I first stared fishing the Hudson in about 1992 in a serious way. In terms of cats, big bull heads were the rule. Black, brown, I can't tell the difference but they had big bull heads and square tails. Then, about 12 years ago I started catching slim, handsome catfish, about 3-4 inches long. Having lived in the Midwest, I recognized them as channel cat. Since then, each year they have grown bigger. 24" is about the biggest I have caught so far. I have read they won't get much bigger because of the short growing season up here. Down south they get 20 pounds.
Bull heads are almost now non-existent as far as I can tell. So are the shad.
I think the channels ate them all.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-23-2013, 01:38 PM
aNskY aNskY is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 363
Default Re: Slow start to season Albany north

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
True facts: I first stared fishing the Hudson in about 1992 in a serious way. In terms of cats, big bull heads were the rule. Black, brown, I can't tell the difference but they had big bull heads and square tails. Then, about 12 years ago I started catching slim, handsome catfish, about 3-4 inches long. Having lived in the Midwest, I recognized them as channel cat. Since then, each year they have grown bigger. 24" is about the biggest I have caught so far. I have read they won't get much bigger because of the short growing season up here. Down south they get 20 pounds.
Bull heads are almost now non-existent as far as I can tell. So are the shad.
I think the channels ate them all.
I caught a17lb channel cat off highland shore a couple years ago
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM
bassfisher91 bassfisher91 is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Albany
Posts: 22
Default Re: Slow start to season Albany north

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNskY View Post
I caught a17lb channel cat off highland shore a couple years ago
I've also caught several over 10 lbs and 32 inches from shore and heard of them close to 20 lbs...I wouldn't be surprised if someone catches a mid 20 lber sooner or later. The river may be tidal but the big ones can just find a hole and sit and eat anything that floats down the river. I think it has the potential to become a good fishery for big channels down the road. Its not like very many people would keep/eat them, they are so full of PCB's anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 PM
freddie the j freddie the j is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 572
Default Re: Slow start to season Albany north

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher91 View Post
I've also caught several over 10 lbs and 32 inches from shore and heard of them close to 20 lbs...I wouldn't be surprised if someone catches a mid 20 lber sooner or later. The river may be tidal but the big ones can just find a hole and sit and eat anything that floats down the river. I think it has the potential to become a good fishery for big channels down the road. Its not like very many people would keep/eat them, they are so full of PBC's anyways.
It would be interesting to have them actually tested for toxins. Any DEC biologists out there? I can get you all you want.

When you buy catfish at the fish market, channel cat is what you get. Beautiful fish. Small ones look like a trout with whiskers.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Tony T Tony T is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: green mountains
Posts: 181
Default Re: Slow start to season Albany north

When the black flies come out the fishing will be good.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-2013, 03:20 PM
lureboy17 lureboy17 is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Latham
Posts: 101
Default Re: Slow start to season Albany north

Seems to heating up now but not very fast.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-24-2013, 03:36 PM
bassinbrian's Avatar
bassinbrian bassinbrian is offline
Winning !
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Greene County
Posts: 1,829
Default Re: Slow start to season Albany north

Quote:
Originally Posted by lureboy17 View Post
Seems to heating up now but not very fast.

Right on time for a "Normal" season

I'll post pics after this weekend


BB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
albany, north, season, slow, start

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Season over on north shore? DubP Massachusetts 3 10-06-2011 05:20 PM
Not a bad start to the season! gunner1 Hudson River 5 04-25-2010 06:20 PM
43 pound striper caught north of albany lureboy17 Hudson River 7 05-27-2008 10:33 PM
Slow start Jimmy Z The Striper Forum 0 07-02-2007 07:52 PM
Last year's Md. spring season fishing was maybe too good Striperjim DelMarVA 0 03-05-2006 03:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com