not worth fishing this week - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Default not worth fishing this week

Being its been a terrible season down here in Cornwall so far, im not gona freeze my a** off this week with showers, cool weather and wind. Its not worth it just sitting there where its been nothing but eels, perch and cats all month so far.

After how this season is so bad already here, its probably gonna be worse with this storm that made the waters all muddy, gonna be impossible to catch herring as well from shore.

Seems like all the action is way up north where i dont feel like driving many miles and not knowing where to fish. I dont wanna take a chance "stealing" peoples spots from shore, i dont need any of that nonsense.

So heres to a good May (hopefully)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM
First Mate

Default Re: not worth fishing this week

Get out there man, find a new spot if you have to. The fish are there, I caught 6 fish in ulster yesterday.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:34 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

my friend was in a boat, said there were absolutely barely any fish on the fishfinder fron the Newburgh/Beacion Bridge south to cornwall

I have only seen one good fish since opening day here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Striper Hunter

Where they at? Fishing the rhinecliff Kingston area from shore, bloods and chunk herring. Nothin but cars and monster eels, one a 4 1/2 footer! Nasty bastards!!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Cats*
Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Striper Hunter

angle my screen was pretty blank in newburgh, but north of the bridge it lit up. If you have any spots up there you may want to give them a go. I'm hoping the rain helps things pick up a bit. I'm hoping we all just got our hopes up early, normally mid april the fishing is slow... hopefully May takes off like normal.

Nick
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Striper Hunter

I feel the same way. Ive been Fishing hard since opening day, fished from beacon to kingston. Only managed some small schoolies last week. This is crazy. I've invested too much time and money these few past years. Haven't even caught anything worth talking about. But every time I swear I'm gonna quit fishing for stripers, the next day I'm ready to do it again. What a horrible addication these fish are. Oh well back to dreaming about 50 lbs stripers.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:22 AM
living in a van down by the river

Lightbulb Re: not worth fishing this week

I too have been doing a lot more fishing than catching and I'm on shore south of beacon . I only have keeper to brag about , a nice 10 lber from a month ago. But since then Ive fished very hard , with stupid amounts of bloodworms and herring , about 3 full days a week and the only thing ive caught is a lot of bitchin from the wife. I think the warm weather sent the fish too fast . More will come though , there's no way its over . Don't let poor fishing get to you. It makes me fish even harder. If anything get back to the mindset of being happy to be on the river. Everything else is a bonus then . Eventually it WILL happen !
Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

yea usually april is slow here from shore, but usually see a few. May is when they show up alot here, especially in the bay area i will see them splashing around
Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM
bigbucks

WOW, hard to believe some of the reports. i'm an avid sportman and love seeing people fishing and hunting. docked boat 4/20 friday 7:30 am at corning preserve. trolled 7:45 till 11:00 with everything i had and nothing. as my son and i were trolling we had seen at least 20 stripers get caught at that time 30inch to 36inches from boats all anchored. stopped trolling and jigged for herring. was slow jigging but caught about a dozen. sent out 2 lives and 2 chunks about 12:45 and the action began. we caught 1 on live 36inches 17 3/4lbs and 4 on chunk 32 to 35 inches. it was crazy. had at least 10 slamming runs and 15 good striper hits.how do i know nothing takes off like a striper.problem to small of hooks, should of used size7/0 but had much smaller and kept loosing them. most of hits were on 2inch chunks. river was getting to ruff for my 14 ft aluminum with the winds and left at 5:30, what a good time. also caught 4 cats and 1 bullhead. just wanted to let everyone know the fish are here. the temp of water was 56-57 degrees. STAY SAFE AND GOOD LUCK FISHING. BOB
Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Official Member

Im not really sure what everybody is complaining about we are having no problems landing fish me and 2 of my buddies have almost 50 from shore so far, smallest 10lbs biggest was 24lbs... been a pretty good year so far..

Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter126 View Post
Im not really sure what everybody is complaining about we are having no problems landing fish me and 2 of my buddies have almost 50 from shore so far, smallest 10lbs biggest was 24lbs... been a pretty good year so far..

we are complaining from an area of Newburgh/Beacon Bridge south. Absolutely nothing going on here. All the action seems up north
Old 04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
living in a van down by the river

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter126 View Post

Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Striper Hunter

First one of my life yesterday.
A MUCH larger one broke me off about 10 seconds into the fight.
Cut herring on the bottom from shore.
Storm King Mtn in background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	striper.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	15941  
Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbucks View Post
WOW, hard to believe some of the reports. i'm an avid sportman and love seeing people fishing and hunting. docked boat 4/20 friday 7:30 am at corning preserve. trolled 7:45 till 11:00 with everything i had and nothing. as my son and i were trolling we had seen at least 20 stripers get caught at that time 30inch to 36inches from boats all anchored. stopped trolling and jigged for herring. was slow jigging but caught about a dozen. sent out 2 lives and 2 chunks about 12:45 and the action began. we caught 1 on live 36inches 17 3/4lbs and 4 on chunk 32 to 35 inches. it was crazy. had at least 10 slamming runs and 15 good striper hits.how do i know nothing takes off like a striper.problem to small of hooks, should of used size7/0 but had much smaller and kept loosing them. most of hits were on 2inch chunks. river was getting to ruff for my 14 ft aluminum with the winds and left at 5:30, what a good time. also caught 4 cats and 1 bullhead. just wanted to let everyone know the fish are here. the temp of water was 56-57 degrees. STAY SAFE AND GOOD LUCK FISHING. BOB
What part were you fishung at? Dont be specific just upper lower ect.