Tieing a clouser (my way) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 05-26-2005, 12:31 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Tieing a clouser (my way)

OK,I am not a die hard fly fisherman,never was,I did alot of tieing of trout flies when my eys and fingers worked in unison....not anymore....

The Clouser (originated by Bob Clouser) has been tied many ways,it simulates many of the slender baitfishes on the east coat,,because of it's unique structure this fly is almost never gets snagged,even in shallow water......

The clouser: My version,,I like 'em big,5" is about right,tied on a 3/0 hook,most sane people opt for the 3" versilon tied on a 1/0 hook.

To tie the fly mount it in the vise gap-side down to start,I use red thread to start,(this gives the illuson of gills just under the eyes ) fasten a pair of "dumbell" eyes to the hook 1/4 of the way down the shank,I use a small section of bead chain swivel(3 beads) for the eyes and paint them red,seems red eyes drive basss nuts! , I like to give the fastening thread around the eyes a good coat of 2 part, 5 minute epoxy,once the epoxy is hardend, switch to black thread tie in a sparce bunch of white bucktail (keeping your prportions intact)infront of the eyes,taper and finish the head of the fly and bring back(the bucktail) over them(the eyes) for a smooth body over the eyes and secure behind the eyes,
Flip the fly,gap side up,add several pieces of flash,tie in a sparce bunch of white bucktail,then a sparce bunch of dark(brown or black on top),add saddle hackle(2 each side)(I like yellow,white or chatreause) and a few strands of pecock herl on either side, tie off and secure with cement(I like the 2 part epoxy)

Because the eyes add weight, the fly rides gap side up,hence it's weedless nature,it should be retrieved quickly and will impart a darting/jig like motion because of the weight in the eyes, keep this fly sparce,more is not better here,the more beat up the fly gets,the more fish it will catch..... There are alot of waaaaaay better tiers and fly guys out there than me,i just thought I'd give my version for those who might be starting out....
chuck and duck! (the clouser has a nasty habit of coming straight back at yer head)
Rock
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Veteran

We have to start the over the hill club. (55 and older).
Old 05-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you still flyfish off your boat at all?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 08:07 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Rarely,I tore a rotator cuff a few years back and my shoulder's never been the same,If I start tossing WF lines and shooting tapers,not to mention heavy clousers,it all goes south in a hurry!