Boxings rising Middleweight Star. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Sports Bar
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Sports Bar Sports talk. Football / Baseball / Hockey / Basketball / Boxing / Nascar / Golf / Etc. Fantasy Sports!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Boxings rising Middleweight Star.

R.I.P. Willie Pep 1922-2006

Undefeated middleweight prospect Kelly (The Ghost) Pavlik 29 -0 26 KO's
  • Pavlik lost a decision to Jermaine Taylor in the 2000 Olympic trials.
  • Ranked WBC #2, WBA #3, WBO #3, IBF #4 at 160 pounds…
  • NABF middleweight champion…
  • 1999 U.S. National Under-19 amateur champion, 147 pounds…
  • 1998 National Jr. Golden Gloves amateur champion, 147 pounds…
  • 1998 National Jr. PAL amateur champion, 147 pounds….
At the age of 24, Kelly is a six-year pro. A young contender at 160 pounds, he has stayed active in the ring and made steady progress as a pro. Pavliks last two Knockouts were extremely impressive and prime time. Last weekend Pavlik demolished an outgunned and overmatched Lenord Pierre of Haiti (fighting out of the Catskills with Trainor - Kevin Rooney) on HBOs afterdark Boxing. The bout, originating from the Chevrolet Centre in Youngstown, was for the WBO, NABO and IBA super middleweight titles. He was the current NABF champion. (Youngstown is Former Lightweight champion Ray Boom Boom Mancini's home town).
Pavlik also headlined the first-ever Fight Night card in July when he stopped veteran Bronco McKart on a sixth-round TKO.
Bob Arum his promotor says he is probably two fights away from a title shot at current middleweight title holder Jermaine Taylor.
Taylor has an upcoming fight with Kassim Ouma. It cant be said that Taylor is taking easy defenses of the title. His 3 fights since taking the title have been a rematch with Bernard Taylor and a tough go with Winky Wright, now a buzz saw in Ouma who narrowly (IMO) beat Sechew Powell at the Felt forum in July. After that its likely Kelly Pavlik for Taylor.
Should shape up to be a great match. Pavlik is 6'3' with a 79 inch reach. Power in both hands and an iron chin. Jermaine is just pure heart and talent.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2006, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Boxings rising Middleweight Star.

And along comes another one.
Edison Miranda
Stunning first round KO of tough, tough, Philadelphia fighter Willie Gibbs on tonights HBOs boxing after dark. Mirandas counter right hand over a lazy jab form Gibbs in the first round put an early end to the fight.
Max Kellerman says Mirandas Ernie Shavers punching power makes up for the lack of skill.
The middleweight division is loaded with talent.

The undercard fight stole the show. Jose Hernandez (21-3, 13 KOs) KO'd (in stunning come from behind fashion) highly touted undefeated featherweight Jason Litsau (20-0, 18 KOs) of St. Paul, Minnesotta. Litsua was Knocked down by a straight right hand from Hernandez in the first round, Litsau got off the canvas to win the next 6 rounds. Though Litsau lost the first round 10-8, He was leading on all three scorecards 66-64 going into the eighth round. Going for broke Hernandez put the pressure on, throwing straight right hands and hard left hooks. Urging from his corner to box Litzua started trading bombs with Hernandez and found himself on the bad end of a looping overhand right that put him out for the 10 count 2 minutes into round eight.

Middleweight champion Jermaine Taylor pitched close to a shutout and won a unanimous decision from Kassim Ouma on last Saturday nights card.
Judges score it 117-111, 115-113, 118-110
I had it 117 -111 and thats giving an even round to Ouma.
Should be interesting in the near future.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 AM

And they will Meet. Kelly Pavlik vs. Edison Miranda
The Right to Fight” on Saturday, May 19th at FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tennessee. The thrilling middleweight contest will be the co-feature on the Jermain Taylor vs. Cory Spinks “Border Battle” middleweight championship card.

The main event and co-feature bring the four top middleweights to Memphis for a thrilling night of boxing. The once-beaten Miranda (28-1, 24 KO’s) scored an impressive unanimous decision over Allan Green on March 3 to emerge as a leading force in the division. The undefeated powerful puncher Pavlik (30-0, 27 KO’s) is coming off a thrilling eighth round knockout victory over Jose Luis Zertuche, knocking the Mexican warrior down three times, to gain top rated status in his HBO debut. Both fighters are bona fide knockout artists with 51 KO’s between them. Miranda is a native of Columbia now fighting out of Puerto Rico, while Pavlik is a native son of Youngstown, Ohio. The Right to Fight will be presented by DiBella Entertainment, Top Rank, Inc. and Seminole Warriors Boxing.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:52 AM

Neon Leon Spinks to be chief second in Corey Spinks corner

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

By Mark Staniforth PA Sport Boxing Writer
Leon Spinks dethroned Muhammad Ali to become the proud owner of the so-called richest prize in sports after only eight professional fights but was bankrupted by his prodigious appetite for self-destruction.
Few former world heavyweight champions have fallen so far, so fast. In the seven intervening months before he lost his title in a rematch, Spinks succumbed to the trappings of superstardom.
Known as "Neon Leon" for his hedonistic lifestyle, Spinks was arrested four times during that period for offenses ranging from driving the wrong way down a one-way street to drug possession.
He disappeared from his training camp for days on end. On one occasion, promoter Butch Lewis tracked him to North Carolina.
"He's in a little shack drinking moonshine whiskey," Lewis told Ali biographer Thomas Hauser. "He's smoking dope, groggier than hell, like this is a dream and he's gonna enjoy it because any day now he's gonna wake up. And that's how it was the whole time when he was champ."
Years later, having claimed he did not see a penny of the $3.75 million he was supposed to have banked for losing the rematch, Spinks' trademark gap-toothed grin was borne out of necessity rather than choice.
He was mugged of his famous gold front teeth and spent time in a homeless shelter in Detroit. In recent years, the former heavyweight champion has cleaned toilets at the YMCA in Columbus, Nebraska for $5.15 per hour.
Those who have met Spinks in recent years speak of a proud former champion, afflicted by arthritis and the possible onset of some degree of dementia, yet quietly seeking to retain his dignity by earning his keep.
If Spinks has more than paid his dues for those seven tumultuous months which culminated in the loss of his title, it is one episode from that period which now offers itself to provide unexpected redemption.
Five days after his victory over Ali, Spinks became the proud if presumably somewhat errant father of a second son, Cory, who went on to emulate both Leon and his uncle, Michael, by becoming a world champion.
This Saturday night in Memphis, Tennessee, Cory Spinks, the former undisputed welterweight champion, will make an ambitious step up to middleweight to face Jermain Taylor, the division's globally recognized top fighter.
A new generation of boxing supporters might not recognize the shy and slightly stooping figure in Cory's corner, with his features hidden beneath a tugged-down baseball cap and the gap-toothed grin tucked away until the time is right.
But it will be "Neon Leon," back under the blazing ring lights which yielded so many opportunities and prefaced so much pain. Having patched up their differences, Cory has invited his father to be his chief second on fight night.
"Having him there for this fight will give me an extra boost," Cory Spinks said. "It'll make me fight harder. He beat a bigger champion and that's what I'm going to do against Jermain. My father gives me in the inspiration that makes me feel I can do it."
Giving away weight is nothing to the Spinks clan. Leon gave away 27 pounds to Ali in their first fight. Michael gave away 22 pounds on the night he became the first to defeat reigning world heavyweight champion Larry Holmes.
"What they accomplished was amazing and I want to add to that legacy," Cory Spinks added. "I want to show people that boxing runs through the blood of a Spinks, not just the name."
It is a mighty task for Cory, greater arguably even than facing a fading legend in your eighth professional fight. The sharp and fleet-footed challenger must somehow overcome Taylor's crude but relentless force.
Last July, Spinks moved up to fight at light middleweight for the first time, scoring a majority decision over top contender Roman Karmazin. He jumped at the chance to face Taylor when original opponent Sergio Mora withdrew.
The father will be there, as much for Leon's sake as Cory's, one suspects. He will impart his own quiet words of advice should they be required and provide a constant reminder that boxing miracles do happen.
Spinks will be happy to keep his anonymous existence while any neon within him flickers on through his son.
"I didn't understand what it meant to be heavyweight champ," he once said. "I was just Leon, and that's all I ever wanted to be."

MIDDLEWEIGHT MEDDLING: Leading middleweight contender Kelly Pavlik, who faces tough Colombian Edison Miranda on the Memphis undercard, has trashed Taylor's decision to defend his unified title against Spinks. "People are tired of seeing Taylor fight the guys he's fighting," Pavlik told maxboxing.com. "Cory Spinks is a great, great fighter, but not at middleweight. This is one of the biggest fights in the weight class and once I beat Miranda, Taylor is probably not going to take the fight. So this is pretty much like a world title fight for me."
Old 05-19-2007, 10:31 PM

Fight tonight 10PM HBO.

Fight is the right word. Good matchup in the prelim.
My picks are Pavlik and Taylor.
First fight will be a war.
Taylor will have an easy time with Spinks I think.
We'll see.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:04 AM

Pavlik destroys Miranda. KO in 7. Fight lived up to the war.
Miranda not as technically sound as Pavlik. Kelly proved he has an iron chin as they exchanged bombs.
Fight worth watching the replay.
Round by round account

Taylor retains title in a ho hum split decision over Spinks who ran from him the entire fight. Incredibly one judge had it 117 to 111 for Spinks.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:24 AM

Pavlik Vs. Taylor for the midleweight title.

Saturday September 29th HBO.

Im picking Pavlik. Not because Im rooting for a white hope but because I think Taylor (as much as I admire him technically) will wilt late. He backpedals too much and drops his left hand from time to time. Right hands from Pavlik will consistantly find their mark.
Pavlik TKO 11.
Im usually wrong. Whoever wins it will be a great fight. I expect Pavlik to get hit often but to take it well.

Kelly Pavlik, 31-0 28 KO's
Jermain Taylor, 27-0-1 17 KO's
Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 AM

Ha Ha this is funny. Turn the sound down a bit.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:18 AM

The Ghost

Old 09-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

yea, gonna be a good fight. we will miss vitali klitchko fight his first fight back with jameel mccline tomorrow night though. sat oct 6th maskaev fights sam peter at the garden, if i get tix jim you wanna go?

Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 PM

You have to ask? lol Of course.

Get three tickets. One for the rock. He can take the train right to penn station and we'll meet him right there. Its a block from the garden.

PS. watch the ghost video above. There is a clip of him starching lasts years contender winner Grady brewer.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:28 AM

Main Event tonight. Saturday September 29th 2007 - HBO 10:15 start time.

This is a true middleweight throwback fight. Dont miss it.

Im saying the start of a great trilogy. The likes of Leonard - Hearns / Hagler - Hearns. / Robinson - Lamott / Robinson - Basilio

Jermaine "Bad Intentions Taylor vs. Kelly "The Ghost" Pavlik

Old 09-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

dude, that was just pure friggen gold! thought he bought it in the second and like a champ he pummels him in the 7th. stfu everybody! my throat is sore and my neighbors are yelleng stfu! best fight i have seen since corrales/mayorga I

Old 09-30-2007, 03:04 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

great fight tonight!
Old 09-30-2007, 12:21 PM

Wow. Pavlik has murderous punching power. He is the kind of fighter
who Merchant refers to as a "Truth Machine".

What did that fight remind you of? After being dropped in round one in May of
1952 Rocky Marciano got off the deck and KO'd Joe Walcott in the 13th round to
win the heavyweight title.

Rarer than we think.
Only two other undefeated fighters have ever squared off for the Middleweight crown.
That was Michael Nunn and James Toney in 1991