Striper Jim ? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:39 AM
Official Member

Default Striper Jim ?

I see reports of Maine fishery slowly diminishing past 6-7 years , & our june trip to Rhode Island was really poor..Was this a bad year or is it a picture of things to come?..I've always followed your fishery & remember the great years & then the horrible commercial fishing that almost destroyed the stripers..But then through no commercial & slot limits , it returned ... They forgot the past & started the commercials again..Then got a reprieve with no close shore.....3 miles ?? I've also heard your baitfish are being over harvested & sent to foreign countries..Is that true?.. I know most of our lumber , Alaskan oil, & now fish fertilizer is also... The Herring industry ships almost everything to Japan..Apparantly they're getting everything & the after effect on our country is dramatic..........You have supported our west coast issues to restore our Delta & fishery , & we would like to help where you feel our followers can assist your problems... Please let us know..We're in this together my friend...Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Striper Jim ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorjim
Was this a bad year or is it a picture of things to come?..
The thing about this fishery is that it is cyclical and these fish remain a mystery.
Three fish over 70 pounds were caught this spring and dozens of fish in the 60's.
The week we were at the Cape I heard guys saying that it was the best year in some 40 years in the canal. In Maine however this year its the worst in a long long time.
The Jersey Coast had a decent year two years in a row. The three years prior the fall run was almost non existant. The fish likely stayed offshore due to the storms and other various factors.
Different sources put the biomass at ~ 30 million pounds and 60 million fish.
The ASMFC 2008 says its 58 million and adamantly insists that the fishery is healthy, relying on "the science" and not anectdotal information. (The science being gill net surveys)
They also say the harvest is within the guidelines of the current management plan. Management plans are formulated according to the best available data.

"Recreational harvest has grown steadily since the reopening of many state fisheries in 1990, approaching 30 million pounds in recent years. Under the most recent management program, commercial harvest has averaged nearly 7 million pounds annually, for an average ex-vessel value of over 13 million dollars.
The most recent stock assessment for striped bass was completed in 2007. The peer-reviewed assessment indicated that striped bass are not overfished and overfishing is not occurring. Since 1982, the striped bass population has increased from about 7 million fish to an average of 58 million fish during the last five years".

But as we can plainly see the science appears flawed. Especially when the NOAA
felt the need to include in the Magnusen Stevenson reauthorization document the implementation of a national database.
There is unprecedented pressure on the fish from the recreational sector as everyone fishing targets striped bass at least sometimes during the year and more and more party boats target striped bass and take at least two per person in many states.

No one wants more regulation but we also dont want a crash like we had in 1984. Conservation and awareness is paramount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorjim
I've also heard your baitfish are being over harvested & sent to foreign countries..Is that true?..
Here is a thread detailing that issue.
Menhaden news the Latest

Omega Protein spent a lot of money trying to resist caps on their harvest and restrictions on their fishing area while attempting to open waters that were presently closed to them.
A concerted effort by concerned anglers from our site and others like ours who contacted the ASMFC in support of a cap implementation in August of 2005.
The action followed a flood of public comments.
In particular these groups - The Recreational Fishing Alliance - The Chesapeake Bay Journal - Stripersforever.org - Jersey Coast Anglers Association (JCAA) - Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Chesapeake Bay Conservation Organization
These groups lobbied the ASFMC and put pressure on Virginia Governor to agree to a cap on the reduction tonnage of menhaden.

The commission received more than 26,000 comments more than 5,300 written comments and more than 20,400 e-mails on the issue, and they overwhelming urged the commission to curb menhaden catches.
The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission voted 12 to 2 in August 2005 to impose the first-ever cap on the Bays largest commercial fishery.
The menhaden industry then successfully lobbied the VA legislature to resist the ASMFC attempts to impose even the most liberal of quotas on the taking of menhaden.
Va. Governor Tim Kaine tried to block the ASFMC implementation by saying that their caps would be superceded by a state law that he planned on creating rendering the caps unlawful.
Apparently the Governor had thought better of this and subsequently proposed that Virginia go along with ASMFC management measures on the taking of Menhaden in the Bay.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:42 PM

im from southern Maine and Ive noticed the slow down in the fishery there is and organization from Maine that is trying to stop the commercial fishing of stripers and make them a game fish. But this year Ive noticed a rise in the amount of bait fish in the area and how long they have stayed maybe its just me but i believe that is one of the reasons this years fishing has been so poor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Official Member

Default Thanks Jim !!

Thanks for the report Jim...I'm glad you think theres no imediate danger to the Bass & commercial baitfish netting..After our water disaster in California , was worried about yours...You seem to get better responses from the state people, then we do.. We fight to have pumping restrictions during certain smolt excapements in the delta...trusting them to do so..Then we now find that there were secret water draws during the year...They can't be trusted ...period !! There was even a #70 bass caught in a holding lake carrying water to the south...This great fish was eaten after a weigh in ...May not count as a record...Should have been a spawner in the delta....Anyway , I'm glad your states have it all under control.....If not ..just post issues & we're only a few states away...Jim
Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 AM

When you think about it Jim 60 million fish Isnt that many.
Here's Brad burns video from Stripers forever in Maine.
News In Maine Video

300 million people in the US. If everyone kept a fish they'd be gone before lunch time.
We need to promote the use of circle hooks and teach people proper technique for catch and release.
A fish of 70 pounds isnt going to taste the best. The old girl might not have to many egg laying years left either.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Official Member

Was wondering if any studies have been done on older stripers reproducing? Or ? do they have a (going tru the change) issue also...I've never seen any reports on this? I would like to think that they keep on laying eggs...We're pushing catch & release out here , but sometimes the BRAINS are not as big as the EGOS. It's hard to teach younger fishermen to understand the total picture...The best is applauding when larger fish are released near you.....Jim
Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Young salt

Hey gregorjim, great post man. As somewhat of a youngin (just turned 30 in June....been fishing since I was knee-high though) in the grand scheme of things, I couldn't agree more with what you said. I remember fishing with my uncle on the shores of cape Cod and saying, both aloud and to myself, who cares how big/small the fish is, there's no one around, just keep the damn thing. Now, I wouldn't so much as entertain the notion of keeping a fish that's not within the limit or more than one a day (Maine is 1 fish 20-26" OR over 40"). I have friends that tag along with me who are around my age who now say some of the things I used to say and think like I once did. The ONLY one who'd know, without question, if I were to keep a fish that wasn't legal size or keep more than the daily limit would be me!!!! It really is amazing where ya start off in this great sport but more importantly, where ya end up. I used to harrass the local fisherman with the very same questions I now find myself answering 10 million times over the course of a summer. Now when I go down the beach, I'm not looking for the locals to pick their brains, they're looking for me. Why just last night I stopped by my usual spot, I saw my buddy sitting in his recliner as he motioned me over to his window. "Where ya been, everyone's been asking about ya" he said as I replied "Oh I've been around, u coming out tonight?" I don't what it was, maybe there wasn't anyone wondering where I'd been, but for the first time in my life I felt like a real fisherman and not just some kid tagging along 'cause all the older kids were doing it. Anyway, a good read indeed my friend, really makes one appreciate ALL aspects surrounding this great sport we love. Take care and tight lines......

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 08-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Official Member

Hyper.... As you get older & wiser ,things get a lot clearer in life..I'm 69 now & realize theres not a lot of time left..Especially on the west coast where our fishery has really diminished due to the water war with the south state..We're trying to win issues in court to restore our Delta with sufficient water & baitfish..Even if we win . It will take years to come back..Probably not in my lifetime...Thats why I really get ticked off regarding fish issues & people who literally rape the fishery for their own monetary benefit...Whether it be over commercial fishing Or poaching etc..I know your license lets you keep a limit , but I also believe that you use your brain & heart to make the correct decisions for the sport you say you love..It's easier to release a large spawner ,which probably isn't healty to eat , & keep a 3-4 pd fish that is...As you say , people ask you things now & thats because you lead by example.. And if everyone did that ,then things would work out fine..Next time you see a guy let a large spawner go , Take the time to applaud him & show that you respect & admire his action..You will see this can have a rippling effect on everyone around you....Remember my favorite word...ACCOUNTABLE ....Jim