DEC seeking our input on new regs. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 11-15-2014, 10:32 AM
First Mate

Default DEC seeking our input on new regs.

I just got this email from NYDEC. I can't forward the survey as the email states, but it looks like they are going to change our regs for the upcoming run. Looks like best case scenario is a 28" min, with other options including a slot limit of 18-28", mandatory circle hooks with a 28"min, or a complete catch and release only fishery.

Dear Angler
The NYSDEC Hudson River Fisheries Unit is conducting a survey to gain your input on options for recreational fishing regulations for Spring 2015. Your response would be greatly appreciated by Wednesday November 19th, 2014.

Here is a link to the survey:
**edited**

This link is uniquely tied to this survey and your email address. Please do not forward this message.

Thanks for participating!

Kathy Hattala
Fisheries Biologist
Hudson River Fisheries Unit
Bureau of Marine Resources
NYSDEC New Paltz, NY

Regardless of what they implement this year, please remember to do your part to protect our fishery. Fishing the river run is probably my favorite activity of the entire year and I certainly don't want to see it get shut down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: DEC seeking our input on new regs.

Here's a copy of the survey:
IMO we should regulate the fish as I see too many people keeping way above the limit. I like the SLOT of not keeping 18-28 in fish and requiring mandatory Circle hooks. I also made the suggestion of ELIMINATING the high dollar fishing contests. As much as I like these it entices anglers to keep too many large females that normally would have been let go if not for the contest. I think the regulations on larger spawning females should be more strict. The smaller males seem to be plentiful and are better for eating anyway. I have NEVER kept a spawning female in my entire fishing career no matter how big it was.

2015 Hudson River striped bass recreational fishing regulation options

Why we are seeking stakeholder input

On October 29th 2014, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission adopted Addendum IV to Amendment 6 of the Interstate Fisheries Management Plan for striped bass. The new addendum requires a 25% coast-wide reduction in harvest to reduce fishing mortality on the striped bass stock. The reduction is necessary to stop the decline in the coastal migratory stock’s spawning stock biomass (SSB) of large female striped bass.

The Hudson River stock is part of the coastal migratory stock. In the Hudson, annual young of year production has dropped in recent years. The Hudson’s SSB is following the declining trend in the coastal SSB. This will translate into a decrease in the number of spawning fish over the next seven to 10 years.

New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation must implement the reduction prior to the 2015 fishing season. There are several options we can take to meet this reduction. We are requesting your input by answering the questions below.

CURRENT REGULATIONS
Area: Hudson River, above the G. Washington Bridge
Season: Mar 16 – Nov 30
Possession & Size limit Requirements: 1 fish per day 18 inches total length (TL) minimum
Other: Anglers must be on the Marine Registry

PLEASE NOTE the Possession limit of one fish per day will NOT change.

1. Do you fish for striped bass in the Tidal Hudson River above the G. Washington Bridge from April 1 to June 15?

Do you fish for striped bass in the Tidal Hudson River above the G. Washington Bridge from April 1 to June 15?
Yes
No

2. Do you fish for striped bass in the Tidal Hudson River above the G. Washington Bridge from June 15 to November 30?
Do you fish for striped bass in the Tidal Hudson River above the G. Washington Bridge from June 15 to November 30?
Yes
No

3. Do you fish for striped bass in the Marine District (Long Island and waters south of the G. Washington Bridge)?
Do you fish for striped bass in the Marine District (Long Island and waters south of the G. Washington Bridge)?
Yes
No

4. To catch striped bass, do you use:

To catch striped bass, do you use:
Lures
Natural bait with J hooks
Natural bait with CIRCLE hooks

5. Please rank the following regulatory options for the HUDSON RIVER ABOVE THE G. WASHINGTON BRIDGE: [1 = MOST preferred, 5 = LEAST preferred]

New SLOT limit of 18-28 inches total length, and require mandatory circle hooks when using natural bait [This would eliminate harvest of large spawning females and reduce catch and release mortality]

New SLOT limit of 18-28 inches total length [This would eliminate harvest of large spawning females]

New minimum size limit of 28 inches Total Length, AND require mandatory circle hooks when using natural bait. [Using circle hooks reduces catch and release mortality].

New minimum size limit of 28 inches Total Length.

Create a “spawning season”, allow catch and release fishing ONLY and require mandatory circle hooks when using natural bait [Season could be Apr 1 to May 31, May 1 to May 31, or May 1 to Jun 15. This would protect mature fish while they are spawning]

6. Please enter any other comments you have:
Please enter any other comments you have:
Old 11-15-2014, 05:47 PM
First Mate

Thanks for posting the survey doc. for some reason I couldn't copy any of it.

I very rarely even catch any <28" fish. I do like to keep some fish for the grill, but I wouldn't be opposed to a stricter limit on females and mandatory circle hooks with bait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Striper Hunter

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/9962.html

At the bottom of this link it shows a few graphs that I found helpful. I'm not even sure if the graphs are accurate but its compares the year of young and mature female count for the year. It looks like the Number of mature female stock in the the hudson has been stable but the year of young stripers is in a huge decline. I wonder why that is? is it the cold and raining seasons we had in the past few years maybe affected the spawn, pollution, loss of habitat for the fish to grow? I'm curious what your guys thoughs are on this.

Either way with the lack of young stripers I voted for the increase in min length to 28 inchs. I also commented on catch and release for fish over 40 inchs and cut the amount of fish a angler can take each season. I have only taken 1 fish per season since I started fishing for stripers and with the striper population the way it is I'm most likely not gonna take anymore. I would like stripers to be around for my kids to enjoy!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Official Member

The only ones I keep are deeply hooked, maybe 1 out of 10. I always use circle hooks but it happens. But they should be required.

I favor a slot limit. No more killing of the most prolific giant old pregnant cows for filthy lucre. But I would put the slot at 18" to 34". A 34 inch fish still gives bragging rights, and an 18" minimum still allows after-run fishermen to keep something for the table if they want.

The tournaments could be re-figured with the new rules in mind. Maybe go by weight. Or average length by boat or shore party. A combination of the two. Ties split the pot. Or something. Its just gambling anyway but we shouldn't be gambling with the broodstock.

The charts on the link provided by yakman also show survey results for shad. Take a look at those to see what is possible. And not in a good way.

Lets do it for the kids. Ours and theirs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	21961  
Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Striper Hunter

The harsh reality is the entire ocean is in trouble. Many people believe that these new regulations may help but unfortunately is not gonna really make much of a difference. Which I hope is not true. Honestly the best thing for stripers is catch and release with use of lures only. That would help the herring and striper population. I wouldn't be happy but I would still fish like hell for them! Another thought could be making common spawning grounds on the rivers catch and release only. I'm sure DEC has an idea where most of the spawning takes place. We will just have to wait and see. This is gonna be a long winter. Come on spring!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/9962.html

At the bottom of this link it shows a few graphs that I found helpful. I'm not even sure if the graphs are accurate but its compares the year of young and mature female count for the year. It looks like the Number of mature female stock in the the hudson has been stable but the year of young stripers is in a huge decline. I wonder why that is? is it the cold and raining seasons we had in the past few years maybe affected the spawn, pollution, loss of habitat for the fish to grow? I'm curious what your guys thoughs are on this.
!
Looks like a pattern on that graph. I wonder what the years prior looked like?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Official Member

Hurricane Irene in 2011 and Super Storm Sandy in 2012 did a number on the Hudson , scrubbing away a lot of the aquatic plant life critical as food/cover for juvenile fish, striped bass included. This as I understand it has a lot to do with the bad numbers the last couple years. That said, those are two year classes that could contribute to poor spawning years down the road.

It is interesting that the DEC's own website says "The increase in fish older than age eight (when most female bass reach maturity) in recent year's indicates a healthy striped bass population in the river. "

Looking at their graphs, the percentage population of breeding age female stripers is healthy and stable. It's going to be tough for them to justify shutting down the whole fishery in the Hudson (worst case scenario) or severely restricting it, when the driver behind these changes is the ASMFC directive to reduce striped bass mortality by 25%.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:03 PM
First Mate

For what it's worth, up here in the great white north, we have a one fish 20-26" slot or one fish over 40" and circle hook only for bait. I have no problem with it.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:52 PM
First Mate

For those who lived or have fished the river knew the striped bass population was very good in the 70's . It be came decimated in the 80's with commercial harvest. I didn't even bother fishing then, nor did many.
There was a commercial harvest change and the stripers rebounded HUGE as shown by the charts. Down side , the recreational fishery exploded as we see today. One chart I seen showed the estimated catch double for a recreational vs commercial , it's an explosion for sure.
I'm not in favor of slot limits, or a spawning season at all.
What I do see is LOTS of poachers exceeding their daily limit.
There is no way to really regulate the poaching , except,
I would like to see a tag similar to deer.
You can C&R all you like but once you rope a fish you tag it and can not fish any longer that day.
DEC comes up to boat and asks to see your tag, if your fishing and don't have one then you got a problem. If you rope a striper and its not tagged, well again, problem.
Each angler is allotted X number of tags per season
Old 12-04-2014, 01:32 AM
Official Member

I think they need to look south to curtail some numbers. Charter boat fishermen/women should only be allowed 1 fish per day, not 2. You want to make yourself sick... go to http://www.noreast.com/saltwater-fishing-reports.cfm and look at the fishing reports and pictures from this past fall. Hundreds of party boats from Conn, RI, NJ, and NY, go out once, and most, twice a day with 20 to 45 passengers. Many of the reports say the entire boat hit their limits. Thats a lot of damn fish if you ask me. Hundreds of fish being taken daily during the fall migration south, and they want to keep busting chops in the spawning areas. Correct me if I'm wrong but, If the fish never makes it to the spawning river, it cant spawn. Right? Just like the herring.. you think me catching 20 to 30 herring a season has a drastic effect on their numbers? I dont think so. How about the hundreds of commercial boats out there netting schools up at rip? This stuff fires me up every time!!! Knee jerk reactions by the government targeting the wrong people!!! GGRRRR!!!! oh well... i'm done ranting now... Bring on the cold air so I can get ice fishing!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Last edited by ISLANDER914; 12-04-2014 at 01:47 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12-05-2014, 07:13 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Pulled this off the web today:

October 30, 2014 |

Yesterday, I sat in on the meeting of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission Striped Bass Management Board. Representatives from North Carolina to Maine looked at the latest stock assessment and public comment to determine whether or not to change the striped bass regulations.
There was a clear divide between New York/New England and the Chesapeake Bay States. Representatives from the bay states insisted that their fishery was primarily on the smaller male striped bass that do not migrate from the bay, a segment of the population they believed to be healthy, while the coastal states, with the exception of New Jersey and Delaware, wanted to see an immediate reduction in fishing mortality on the Spawing Stock Biomass, that is the larger migratory fish, most of which are female. Options supported by the bay states included a 17% reduction in harvest, or an incremental 7% reduction in harvest over three years. The New England States and New York supported the most conservative option, a 25% reduction effective in 2015. In the end, a compromise was reached to reduce striped bass fishing mortality by 25% in the Coastal States and 20.5% in the Chesapeake Bay, beginning in 2015.
The public comment was overwhelmingly in favor of the 1-year, 25% reduction, and this was repeatedly brought up as representatives from the New England States argued for that option. It was great to see that the comments written in or made at the public meetings were heard, and further proof that fishermen need to make their voices heard when it comes to these issues.
The next big vote for striped bass recreational fishing had to do with the proposed limits. The board voted for 1 fish per day at 28 inches OR a conservation equivalency to a 25% reduction. This means that states have the option to implement limits that differ from 1 fish at 28 inches as long as the ASMFC Technical Committee approves them as achieving a 25% reduction. Some of those options provided by the ASMFC Technical Committee that meet those requirements include 2 fish per day at 33 inches, or a number of slot limits that allow for 1 smaller keeper and one “trophy.”
While many recreational fishermen were hoping for a more conservative option to pass, such as 1 fish per day at 32 inches, having the 25% reduction starting next year is an overall win for striped bass and striped bass fishermen.

Still got to wait to see what NY is going to do.