save our future striper seasons - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Default save our future striper seasons

As you may or may not know dec is slowly leaning toward a moratorium, protecting herring and striped bass during the spawn ( in the Hudson River). They want to hear input from you.

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) today released a draft of the Hudson River Estuary Action Agenda 2015-2020, a six-year blueprint for conserving the Hudson River estuary and its surrounding valley. The Draft Hudson River Estuary Action Agenda 2015-2020 is available on DEC?s website at: www.dec.ny.gov/lands/4920.html. Public comments on the draft will be accepted until May 15, 2015. Comments may be emailed with ?Action Agenda? in the subject line to [email protected]. In addition, comments may be mailed to:
NYSDEC Hudson River Estuary Program, 21 South Putt Corners Road, New Paltz, NY 12561.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: save our future striper seasons

Oh joy.

If anyone wants to get more involved in protecting both striped bass and herring AND our ability to enjoy striper season, the time to act is yesterday. At the risk of tooting my own horn, I work in public relations, have a side gig in political consulting and founded a Second Amendment/anti-SAFE Act political action committee. I have some experience in the trenches and I'm willing to fight for this. If there are others who are willing to fight for sensible fishing regulations on the Hudson, please message me via this website. If anyone knows of any organizations that are already fighting to sustain our striped bass fishery, please let me know.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak2fish View Post
If anyone knows of any organizations that are already fighting to sustain our striped bass fishery, please let me know.
https://www.stripersforever.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Tyee

I know anything is possible especially in New York but how can the powers that b think that a moratorium on recreational guys is the answer?? Really? An angler who keeps one fish a day is doing more damage to breeding stock than commercial guys keeping hundreds?stripers aren't the only fish targeted during their spawn. I'm all for protecting the fisherie hell I wouldn't care if they made the river all catch n release for the run but to shut it down all together is ridiculous.Conservation is the CAREFUL use of a renewable resource!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Tyee

Just sent my email to big brother, hope my two cents add up
Old 04-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Official Member

I don't see anything in the draft Action Agenda that is particularly alarming. Good to see pictures of kids fishing.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:31 AM
First Mate

I also responded to the DEC. I am okay with the slot limit... BUT (and I realize some people may disagree on this point) I would like to have seen them include mandatory (in-line) circle hooks for all bait fishing. If you have to throw them back anyway I would rather see people required to use hooks which are more likely to give a safe hook set.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Striper Hunter

I use a hook out made out of a 5/8 wood dowel. I can get the hook out of every gut hooked fish with no damage. The only hook I can't remove if gut hooked is a circle hook. They are great for live herring, but for a big chunk or a head chunk (pretty much all I use) most fish swallow the bait.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstream View Post
I use a hook out made out of a 5/8 wood dowel. I can get the hook out of every gut hooked fish with no damage. The only hook I can't remove if gut hooked is a circle hook. They are great for live herring, but for a big chunk or a head chunk (pretty much all I use) most fish swallow the bait.

how did you make it?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Striper Hunter

hone one end of an 18" dowel(5/8) to a flat point. Put a V groove in the flat end. when using, use a lip grip to hold the fish vertical (2 man job), the other person lines the V groove up with the line, slides it down to the hook, the hook will stick in the wood.With a taught line, push down on the hook with the dowel and pull out the hook, line, and dowel.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:09 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstream View Post
hone one end of an 18" dowel(5/8) to a flat point. Put a V groove in the flat end. when using, use a lip grip to hold the fish vertical (2 man job), the other person lines the V groove up with the line, slides it down to the hook, the hook will stick in the wood.With a taught line, push down on the hook with the dowel and pull out the hook, line, and dowel.

If you can, take a pic. I have some wooden dowel material here. I would love an easier way to un hook a gut hooked fish. The ones that do manage to gut hook I keep.. But with the new rules..
Old 04-08-2015, 07:37 AM
Tyee

To each their own but I never mess with a gut hooked fish, smallies, large lippers stripers nothin, just cut the line, that fish will pass that hook faster than Arron Hernandez passing his gun to his girlfriend, lol, that's just wrong I know but true. It sucks and I get some crap from friends but I hate killing a fish I'm not gunna eat
Old 04-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkster View Post
To each their own but I never mess with a gut hooked fish, smallies, large lippers stripers nothin, just cut the line, that fish will pass that hook faster than Arron Hernandez passing his gun to his girlfriend, lol, that's just wrong I know but true. It sucks and I get some crap from friends but I hate killing a fish I'm not gunna eat
I agree.....hooks are cheap and expenible. I've caught several fish with hooks that were almost dissolved and the fish looked fine. Sacrifice the hook because the longer you take to remove it the higher the likelihood the fish does not make it.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:51 PM
First Mate

if its gut hooked just cut your line and set em free!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Striper Hunter

Back on the subject..

DEC Hudson River Estuary Program to Host Hudson River Summit

Discussion to Focus on a Six-Year Conservation and Restoration Blueprint for the River

Hudson River Summit
April 16, 2015
The Grandview, Poughkeepsie, NY

http://content.govdelivery.com/accou...lletins/fd7609