Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

We just might be in trouble (next year)

Tags
trouble year
13K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Perch Inc. 
#1 ·
Went to a seminar today and found out five states around the area have banned the possession and use of herring. NY held out for this year....

#2 ·
Fred Lebrun just wrote an article speculating the same.

The odd thing is that there looks like there were no shortage of herring in the Hudson.

Fishermen will adjust just like they did elswhere.

#5 ·
Well, I guess I can enjoy one more year. Just when I started to get the hang of things. DEC will probably join the rest of the surrounding states and throw the sportsman into the mix, when we all know wer arent the problem. I am going to have a hard time this weekend at the outdoor's show. They are having two different seminars on stripper fishing....and I probably wont be able to wait until the water warms up.

#6 ·
Been saying this ever since I started going to the Cape, where herring is banned as bait.
Talked to the older guys there and have observed the huge schools of herring the biologists say are not there.
see my thread on DEC changes and give DEC your comments.
Its bad enough the State proposes (read gonna happen) to increase license fees,but to limit some peoples income (netting and selling herring)
ENough of a rant for Sunday morn. I have to go to FISHING

#7 ·
Was talking with my buddy last night, even if they make big changes (and i really hope they don't), we will still be out there chasing them !!!

There will be a lot less people fishing i'm sure but the fish will still be there.

Guess we will see what happens :icon_cool2:

BB

#10 ·
Lots of people still smoke herring for consumption. I am assuming that if they outlaw catching them in mass quantities they will put a limit on them for the day, such as 5 a day or something, would you still be able to use them for bait? as long as you stick to whatever the limit is.

#11 ·
I think the difference with New York is that we don't have year long access to the herring to use as bait where as Jersey, Mass., and the others DO. It's kinda like that saying- if guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns! To me, if they want to do something like that then we should have a "window" of say from April 1st to June 1st where their usage is allowed.

#13 ·
some show was on last nite they had 900,000lbs of herring in one net.I use about six a day maybe fish 20 days. Don't take me wrong nothing wrong with a man makein a liven on the sea I have no hate for them. River fishermen are just feeding the striper what they are eatin already. I can't read this thread no more gets me to steamed .:blackeyerub: Fishing is fun and it's almost time :yay:

#14 ·
Guys ,
we have to tell DEC our feelings otherwise this and other restriction will be shoved down our throats.
Hit the links at DEC fishing comment not just BS here
My other thread got 90 reads and no comments
I dont know how much easier they can make it
No 42 cent stamp , no driving just bandwidth

#15 ·
Will the real fisherman please step forward......

All you sissy's who couldn't catch a striper if your life depended on it (without a herring that is) may soon be in for a rude awakening. Wow, you just might have to "learn how to fish" in order to land the elusive striped bass. What a bummer.

The days of sitting back, downing a few beers, and worrying about nothing but wether or not that herring on your hook is still alive may well be coming to a close. Don't get me wrong, you can still down a few beers, but with the elimination of herring, you've got to "work" to catch fish. And that's where the elimination process will come in. I love it, and the banning of herring use can't come soon enough for me..

All you old timers know the real deal. The herring population in the river has all but depleted itself. Sure, you new jacks see a lot of herring, but you dont know the difference. Years ago there were literally "zillions" of herring that migrated up the Hudson to spawn. At the end of the run, the shoreline along the village of Waterford, N.Y. used to be so innundated with dead herring that the county had to step in to help with the clean-up. Those days are long gone..... AND, to cap things off, the striper population has been deteriorating at an alarming rate the past (7) years. And not just in the "upper Hudson". I can only speculate, but Commercian Fisherman have put a serious dent in the striper population. Greed is good, but leave it to "man" to f**k things up..... What to hell, lets put it all on the table. The shad, sturgeon, and even the Blue Crab are practically on the endangered species list in the upper Hudson.

Start pumping those dumbells, and get that forearm strong. Those 10' poles get heavy after a few hundred casts with the right plug. Have a great season.....

Till the next high tide.....

Thebluesman5748

#17 ·
Hey Bluesman, you need to get off your high horse and get real. I have fished Striper trolling with wire line and buck tail jigs, mono line with lures, mono line and eels, and with the live herring. I think that the sport fishermen should be able to use whatever they enjoy fishing with. Fishing is supposed to be fun! I don't believe it is the sportsmen that are depleting the herring or the striper population. What will be next, catch and release deer hunting????

#19 ·
i dont know about you guys but I go fishing to enjoy myself, sit back have some beer catch some herring in the scap when fishing is slow. If I wanted to work I would go do it to make money. so shut your mouth bluesman:icon_cool2:

#21 ·
:gob_icon_cheers: cool :gob_icon_cheers:..hardbait fishermen against baiters..a few beers,o.k., argueing amoung us..priceless..like years ago at the ford plant at green island..ya had guys at the wall with herring,and guys right below them throwing plugs to the wall...couple snags between them,some choice words..:yay::yay::yay::yay:..can't we all just get along...if they ban herring theres alot more ways to get em thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

#22 ·
I am going to blame it on the herring fisherman when I can't beat my biggest. ;)

Actually, there doesn't seem to be as many guys anchored with herring as there was a few years ago...maybe they just aren't there when we are. We seem to have far more problems with trollers (and I am a troller, although I would like to try herring some day if I can) that watch closely, come in fast when we catch a fish, and push us around with their bigger boats. Maybe it has something to do with there being more trollers out there than there used to be??? There is nothing more frustrating than a guy ripping plugs at 5mph coming up behind us while we are going 2mph and then pushing us (and all of our lures) into the ground/rocks/woody debris in shallow water. Not all trollers do this, it is just a select few.

As for the herring problems...they are surely big problems. I doubt that fishermen in the Hudson have much of an impact though, since stripers are going to eat many of them anyway and there are commercial boats out there capturing entire schools in nets all at once.

#23 ·
There is nothing more frustrating than a guy ripping plugs at 5mph coming up behind us while we are going 2mph and then pushing us (and all of our lures) into the ground/rocks/woody debris in shallow water. Not all trollers do this, it is just a select few.
That's why you need to stock up on 4 Oz. egg sinkers.........if you can reach em with a good toss then they are too close....... :gob_icon_cheers:

#27 ·
Ship- I have seen you getting in and out of my boat...

I am not so sure "nimble" is the right word for it :whistle:
Listen....who has lost 25 lbs this winter and who has gained a bunch?............and it wasn't me whining after i climbed some little hill in Saratoga and called it hiking!!

Now........if there were a few Sierra Nevadas involved....i plead guilty.....

Speakin of Sierras......shouldn't be long now to we're catchin fish listenin to our beloved Yankees crush the competition this year:gob_icon_cheers:

#29 ·
there is another point to the whole herring issue too, they wan't to hike the price of a license, plus maybe add a saltwater license for anywhere below the troy dam (more $$$) and now take away the only way I have to save a little $$$ and still be able to fish. If I have to troll it would triple my fuel costs if not more. maybe just have to wait till peak season then and go for a week or so.

#30 ·
I bet bluesman smirks and makes snide comments when he walks past a father and son fishing with a worm and bobber. People go fishing to have fun and relax. Some find it fun to run and gun bass tournies...others like to spend time with friends and relax with a few beers while enjoying the outdoors...amazing how arrogant and judgmental some people are. He's just mad that the doctor slapped him in the face when he was born because he couldn't tell his head from his a@#.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.