Eel related question... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Eel related question...

Ok Im still new to the striper scene but I have heard that eels are a very good bait choice if they are available (depending on conditions of course)

So far my friend and my girlfriend have both caught eels and decided that I was going to be the one to deal with them. The first one was a MESS, as i had slime up to my elbows that then caked up with sand and hardened and stank... well anyhow it was a bad experience...

Today my gf catches an eel and I decide to take a cleaner approach to take it off the hook and put it on my line and try to use it as bait. Now tell me where im going wrong here ... She is fishing clams, gets a strike and the fights on. The fish feels like a good sized schoolie, its bending the rod and so on. SHe brings it in and its an eel. So I try to coax it off the hook but it doesnt comply. So instead of getting all slimey i remember someone posting that you can slow it down some by hitting it off a rock. So I go and grab a moderate sized rock and drop it on its head to stun it. a couple guys come over and are like wtf is it dead? so i poke it and it starts flipping out so I take that as a no. So now... this eel that has pretty much swallowed her 6/0 hook is still laying there so I stick my thumb in its mouth and open it up like a striper and take the hook out...

Again I remember in a post that you are supposed to hook them through the top of the snout I think but come out their eye socket instead of going through their brain. So I hook it up on my rod and toss it the 10 feet i could with the rod bend in half under its weight. I let some line out, walk the short jetty, reel the eel back in and then toss it out into the outgoing current / tide and let out some line giving it some distance. brought it in and out maybe 5 times and decided to let it go.

Now heres what im thinking... when you all are talking about fishing with eels you cannot mean eels like this... this thing had to be 3'+, its body was a good 3" thick, it swallowed a 6/0 hook and my thumb fit in its mouth along with my leatherman. Because if this is what you are catching stripers on... they gotta be some huge stripers!

Someone set me straight, also what would you do with one of these eels?

-Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005, 12:57 AM

Usually the eels you use to catch stripers are male eels which grow to a length of about 18 inches. A good sized eel is anywhere from 8 inches to 14 for striper fishing. The eel you caught was a female, and yes, way to big for catching rockfish. What do you do with them? Let her go! unless its under 16 inches, dont use it for bait. Get some from your local tackle shop.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Yeah dood, those gurls are way too big to fish, let alone cast lol. K-Cube is right on the money :wtg:

Also, the 6/0 hooks are double what you want to be hangin' a nice eel on for bait :smokin:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Bolt
Also, the 6/0 hooks are double what you want to be hangin' a nice eel on for bait :smokin:
We werent intending on catching them, she was using clams and thats what she ended up with. now I know :)

Thanks guys
Old 06-22-2005, 07:09 AM

Loun when you handle em use one of those scotch brite pads that you scrub pots with. Grips em nice and easy. Ice em or rub some sand on em for easier handling. I remember as a kid landing this 3 foot nasty eel that I beat with a small bat to try and stun it to get it untangled from my line. The bat was black from bashing it and the thing was no worse for the wear. I snapped the line and let him go. The black stayed on that bat. :eew:
Old 06-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Veteran

Do you use the green ones :huh: or the new one ones(white) fine,not course like the green ones.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 AM

The scotch brite? I use the green ones they work like a charm. some guys just use the mesh from their eel bags.
Unfortunately I can no longer patrol the beaches. I'm limited to sittin in one spot. and thats uncomfortable too. I need a boat. My brothers always got an excuse. Now I dont even want his freekin boat key. Other guys cant wait for me, I'm like a handicapped person. Im having some real issues with my lungs. The salt air helps. Sorry about the rant CC. The eels get me excited.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:40 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

The BEST way to handle an eel is with a red shop towel,believe me I handle THOUSANDS of them every bass season,forget the gimmicks,go to an auto parts strore or walmart and buy a bundle of rags,the red coarse shop towels,one or two will get you through the night,use one for handeling the bait the other for drying your hands,keep them dry, ,I wash them with a mild bleach solution or simple green when they get slimey, then let them dry,one bundlke lasts a whole season,by October they are thread bare but make great polish cloths....

As far as handeling eels (smaller ones not those big mommas) I like em 12-18". once you grab the eel, posistion it so you get it upside down,press your thumb into the underside at the base of the skull where the jaw begins,this will render a "sleeper" hold on the eel.it will become limp and lifeless...untill you release yor grasp! Ask Jonny Bolt,I have demenstrated my "stunner" technique to him....

To transport you eels use a "double bucket, cut down one bucket and drill a dozen 1/4 holes in it in the bottom,slip this into the second bucket,,this will help make them "dry" out a little and keep them from "drowning" in theiir own slime,again NEVER put water in with them,they will die from lack of oxygen(they can breathe out of the water) and the ones that dont will be impossible to handle,if you are having trouble handeling them put a 5lb bag of ice in the bucket,put the eels on ice,this will make them easy to handle and protect them from the heat..

Take time to master eeling and be sure you have a most potent bait...

Happy eelin
Rock
Old 06-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Veteran

What is a red shop towel. Just coarse :huh: Is it like the blue ones
Old 06-23-2005, 10:46 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

They come in bundles,there may be blue ones,but all the ones Ive seen are red,they can be bought at Auto Zone,wal-mart and other retail stores,they are the same towels that repair shops use..yes they are coarse,burlap works but can be difficult to obtain...
Old 06-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Striper Hunter

I think the blue ones you are talking about are basically heavy duty paper towels and come in a roll (almost a clothy material but not really) . The red shop towels are actually cloth towels that are a dull red and can be found all over a car delership. I will see if i can get a link to them real quick anywhere. What I have been using as hand rags and so on are the white drying towels that i bought to use after washing my car ... they are terry cloth i think but man they hold fish guts too well lol

I believe these are them:
Old 06-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Striper Hunter

"burlap works but can be difficult to obtain..."

If anyone needs burlap I have a source for pretty much as much as anyone could use. My uncle sells them for like a buck or so a bag and I could probably get a few for free. They just need a good douchen.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:00 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

yup you linck shows them..... good job.

The bait shack at Clipper fleet sells burlap pieces as well,but i prefer the rags,I've been using then since the '70's,tried everything else under the sun (including scotchbrite) and the rags are unbeatable,especeialy if you handle alot of eels in one night....
Old 06-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Veteran

ok they are of the same type ,thanks