Is 4x4 absolutely required for driving on beach? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News Public Access / Politics/ Permits / Conservation Management / News

Old 04-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Default Re: Is 4x4 absolutely required for driving on beach?

I accidentally ended up on nantasket beach, Hull MA. It has a very shallow gradient. The only way out for a vehicle was about 3 miles back there's an access point for the front end loader that comes to collect trash. I shut my lights off because I didn't want to get caught, and drove on the hard wet stuff. I did between 40 and 50 mph cause I didn't want to get stuck. I couldn't really see anything so I hit every little run - off and hole. I was praying to god that whoever was out there would get out of the way. What a night, but I never got stuck, and I kept my tires at full inflation. I just put it in 4x4. I have a ford f350, diesel.

One of the days, I'll apologize everybody . . . for being an a'hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM
swabbie

Not at Cape Lookout, not yet anyway. There are plenty of Winebagos, old bread truck step vans, motorhomes. Of course most are set up with custom wide wheels and wide nearly flat tires. We are in the midst of an ORV management plan and one section of the planning workbook deals with vehicle types and requirements, which addresses 4x4, AWD, tire sizes and types. Beach access as we've been used to is coming to an end
Old 04-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

i still have a shrouder spark plug tire pumpand hose down the cellar hanging on the wall. I the (good ol days)of 2 wheeling a machinist named Charlie Chase would take the tire rims off a Lincoln or caddie (8 20+15 tire size)and slice them in half off center then weld the two wide halves together making a super wide rim. you couldn't drive to fast on the road but they would float on the sand.Joe didn't have the only vw on nauset Bub Sears had a green vwthat would go anywhere and not get stuck unless he rode over a log or somthing.Bub was well in his 80,sand was a great guy.those old tube type would run real soft I remember driving to nauset inlet right off the main tar parking lot and coming back had the dam tires down 4lbs in the front and about 6or8lbs in the back worried that I'd tear the valve stem right off. I guess today you would worry about rolling a tire off your rim with tubeless tires. Anyway its a hell of a lot easier today