Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Ice out.

Tags
ice
9K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  FlynFish87 
#1 ·
Since its getting closer and closer and with some warmer temperatures here and in our near future. Just curious when everyone thinks the ice out will happen. Not sure about the river being that I saw the cutter going through today but some parts of the upper creek here have openings. So my guess is around March 20 I will see flowing water in the creek. Can't wait for those ice jams. Hey chime in with your guess.

#2 ·
Not sure about the ice out ... I usually keep an eye on the Riverbasin site, Tom has records that go back many years.

I can say the window for herring showing up (Catskill -> North) is 4/5-4/9 woohoo.gif

I'll be heading out either weekend of 4/18 or a week later on 4/25 ... depending on what mother nature throws at us.

BB

#3 ·
I cross the Hudson ( castleston bridge ) and the Stockport creek twice a day 5 days a week.
The Hudson is definitely showing signs this week. Ice is pulling away from shoreline and the entire river ice is looking Grey.
The Stockport is still locked solid but the upper ( kinderhook & claverack ) have opened up significantly .
I'd say we got about 2 more weeks, maybe, then the ice jams will start big time.

In past years I have been on the creek and river by March -15, know for sure that won't happen . Hoping for April -1 ( fools day ) :)

#6 ·
Sitting down at HH right now and although we don't have ice flowing down river yet the change over the past few days has been big. The solid ice cover is broken up with lots of open water near shore. Some of the channel has actually remained open behind the barge traffic. The Eagles are also sitting on the nest, always a good sign. :trink08:

#21 ·
While I can't see up as far as Henry hudson park, I drive over the castleston bridge twice a day. From there the ice has broken up mostly, I have not seen any movement flowing south.
The coeymans creek is open but the Stockport creek is still locked solid.
Pretty sure it's going to be around 4-1 before I can venture out amongst the ice floes with the kayak. From then, until the smallies become active, I won't even bother scouting for stripers

#24 ·
I don't venture up (787) much. Is there a defined river channel flow yet or is it still locked solid across ?
Took another route home and came across the rip vanwinkle , ain't nothing moving south . It's still pretty iced up and without a place to go yet, its going to be awhile still for open water
Stay away April showers !!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.