Licenses Now Required ! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Official Member

Angry License Now Required !

UPDATED INFO ON THIS

If you fish for Stripers in the Hudson River south of the Troy dam and north of the Tappan Zee, you will need a fishing license.

This is a new regulation for this year!

For Stripers in this area you must have both a Recreational Marine Fishing License.

Get the word out so none of us are caught by surprise and fined !

I am sure the fines will be more expensive than the licenses ( $10 for resident annually)

From the DEC site (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31427.html)

License requirements

There is no longer an exemption to the requirement for a license to take fish from the Hudson River south of the Troy Barrier Dam at Troy. Anglers will need to have a fishing license when fishing the Hudson River. Depending on the specific location of the Hudson River fishing activities, and the specific species fished for, an angler may need to have a recreational marine fishing license, a freshwater fishing license or both licenses:

For more info, see StriperJim's post:
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=19310

Last edited by toemandoug; 03-12-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: To refelct updated DEC info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Official Member
Pro Staff

Default Re: Licenses Now Required !

new york state giving fisherman the fist again
on top of that the senior discount starts at 70 now
if people ran thier households like ny state we would all be in the street
this rule change is arbuitrary and unfair
mike
Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyreef View Post
mike
Couldn't have put it better myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 PM
First Mate

Sticking it to fisherman and hunters too! I was embarrased to see the senior discount at 70. Wait till you register your car, there is a new vehicle usage tax. Using your vehicle, ain't that the idea of having one!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Official Member

From what info i have seen on the saltwater license it wasn't the state's choice to require us to have one...it could have been alot worse than the $10 the state is charging. If i recall correctly the fed's required all the states with access to salt water species to require a special license and if they didn't the they would set the rules for the state and the $$$$. I think it was going to be $25. I for one will be more than happy to pay the $10 for the two months of striper fishing i get.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Official Member
Pro Staff

a tax is a tax is a tax. i too dont mind the saltwater license i bought the lifetime because you can bet your butt it will go up every couple of years.
the thing that gets me is i really dont have any interest in freshwater fishing, but now if i want to follow the spring run upriver i have to buy a fw license.
look i already spend over a 1k a year between beach permits, club organization dues, parking access permits. im just sick of this nonsense that goes on. so my protest will be i wont fish above tappen zee and the state can kiss my a**.
to me all these fees will only be mismanaged like the rest of the budget
mike
Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM
First Mate

Quote:
a tax is a tax is a tax. i too dont mind the saltwater license i bought the lifetime because you can bet your butt it will go up every couple of years.
the thing that gets me is i really dont have any interest in freshwater fishing, but now if i want to follow the spring run upriver i have to buy a fw license.
look i already spend over a 1k a year between beach permits, club organization dues, parking access permits. im just sick of this nonsense that goes on. so my protest will be i wont fish above tappen zee and the state can kiss my a**.
to me all these fees will only be mismanaged like the rest of the budget
mike
You spend over $1,000 a year just so you can fish? How's the little woman feel about that?? Mine would have a coronary. She can't believe I have to pay so much for my sportsman's license NOW. Isn't it sad we pay and pay and pay and get VERY LITTLE in return?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 PM
First Mate

In 2010, it has cost me $20 more to do what I do. Fine I'll pay it, but the sad thing is what we're actually losing. Up until now, these waters were a gift. It has always been like that, and I assumed it would always be like that. No more. Those days are gone for good. I'm not angry with the tax, I'm upset because we're losing something I've always felt was a gift. Now, it feels like I've lost a friend.

mikeyreef, have your finest spring.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Official Member
Pro Staff

forrtunatly my wife is a saint and never complains
we live by the rule
i dont drink, gamble or screw around and every now and then i bring home dinner

i fish an average of 3-6x per week
my work takes me all over and i travel with a rod at the ready
i wake up at 2 am drive to wherever i fell the bite is and am usaully back on road to work at 8
or ill fish night tides
i will sleep in my truck all weekend during fall run
i love striped bass and feel everything else is just bait
i will plug or i will bait fish whichever will give me the best opourtunity to catch that 1 fish
i start at the hudson and end up in montauk and back again
this year i am going to fish rhody and later south jersey
this is not a pastime this is a way of life an addiction that feeds upon itself
i have made many good friends over the years
i cant walk on a beach or backbay between hudson and montauk and not run into somebody i know
but hey thats just me

interseting sidebar last time the hudson required a license was during the depression, but the state discontinued it because the people being fined were destitute and needed the fish to survive

mike
Old 02-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
mike
that senior change really got me po'ed last fall $5 to $29 & now $10 to fish the striper run.guess it's time to move south!!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Official Member
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Bassman View Post
that senior change really got me po'ed last fall $5 to $29 & now $10 to fish the striper run.guess it's time to move south!!
yeah that really sucks cause those people are most likely on fixed income so that is hard for them. they just want to tax everything
i could never move south ill just piss and moan and pay it. here in new york we have the best of ths striper coast ( not trying to po you rhody and mass guys)
mike
Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
If you fish for Stripers in the Hudson River south of the Troy dam and north of the Tappan Zee, you will need two fishing licenses.

This is a new regulation for this year!

For Stripers in this area you must have both a NYS Freshwater Fishing License as well as a Recreational Marine Fishing License.

Get the word out so none of us are caught by surprise and fined !

I am sure the fines will be more expensive than the licenses ($ 29. & $10 for resident annual)

From the DEC site (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31427.html)

License requirements

There is no longer an exemption to the requirement for a license to take fish from the Hudson River south of the Troy Barrier Dam at Troy. Anglers will need to have a fishing license when fishing the Hudson River. Depending on the specific location of the Hudson River fishing activities, and the specific species fished for, an angler may need to have a recreational marine fishing license, a freshwater fishing license or both licenses:
This information posted on their web site was misleading and has since been corrected.

Here's the deal. You do not need a freshwater license to fish for migratory (striped bass) species on the hudson river but you must have a marine recreational license to do so.
If you plan to fish for non migratory species like Large mouth bass or catfish you do need a NY state freshwater license.
If your a Hudson Charter you pay a $250 fee and your fares must have a Marine recreational Fishing License.
Marine Charter captains get hit with an additional $400 fee if they fish in marine waters also.

The web site now has the corrected updates.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

If you are fishing downstream from the Tappan Zee Bridge, you are considered fishing in the marine and coastal district and will need to have a recreational marine fishing license.
If you are fishing upstream from the Tappan Zee Bridge and are fishing for non-migratory fish (such as largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, catfish, carp, walleye, and perch) only, you will need to have a freshwater fishing license.

Information from The Hudson River fisheries unit. Cathy Hattalla
Old 03-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Striper Hunter

was over in Piermont last week talking to some regulars who said DEC not enforcing marine license requirements until legal action taken by a town on L.I. is settled.this info was from a DEC cop.anyone else hear this rumor/fact???
Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Striper Hunter

Let me throw this one out there... It's not on my Super Sportsman license is it (Rec Marine Fish License) Thanks again NY

dav
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Striper Hunter

Didn't think so