What items are required on a boat on Hudson? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Striper Hunter

Default What items are required on a boat on Hudson?

Last weekend fishing out of Newburgh we were checked by the coast guard and questioned about safety equipment. 2 new york conservation officers were aboard also. The NY fellow said a distress flag is required in NY waters. I was given a verbal warning from this gentleman for this. My question is was I not fishing tidal water which does not require a NY fishing license or NY safety requirements? I hope someone here can help,thanks

roughrider out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Default Re: What items are required on a boat on Hudson?

the hudson is tidal water...i think i saw u get stopped
Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Striper Hunter

In NY any boat powered by an engine MUST have required safety equipment which this year includes an anchor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Official Member

What there's rules? I though some 3 oz. sinkers 7/0 hooks 2poles and some herring good to go
Old 05-12-2009, 11:30 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

State law requires that every mechanically propelled vessel,
16 feet and greater in length, carry United States Coast Guard approved visual distress equipment. This applies to all mechanically propelled vessels operating upon the state’s joint jurisdictional waters, where the state and federal government share responsibility, as well as the interior sole-state lakes.
Most boats can meet this requirement by simply carrying three USCG approved day/night hand held flares. You may also carry any combination of three-day and three night-approved pyrotechnic devices. Non-pyrotechnic options include an approved electric distress light (for night) or an orange distress flag (for day). Whichever you choose, all devices must be in serviceable condition and readily accessible. For pyrotechnics, the expiration date, as printed on the device, must not have lapsed. When buying pyrotechnic visual distress equipment always look for the freshest devices possible, those with at least three years of service life would be the newest.
State law requires that all vessels operating between sunset and sunrise, regardless of length, carry visual distress signals approved for night use. For obvious safety reasons rowboats and canoes should also carry visual distress signals approved for night use when out on the water after sunset. Keep in mind also that Federal law requires all manually propelled craft to carry visual distress equipment, approved for night use, when operating on the state’s joint jurisdictional waters.

http://www.nysparks.com/boating/docs/boaters_guide.pdf

Hope this helps .
Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks Capt. - And next year you will be required to have a saltwater licence/or stamp. They haven't quite decided what the authorizaton paperwork will be, but it will cost yu $10.00.

And that includes tidal waters within the state of NY.
Or as they put it migratory fish. Can't get much more migratory than Striped Bass.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM
TRUE GRIT Off Shore Fishing Team

sry

Last edited by True Grit; 05-13-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 05-13-2009, 11:30 AM
TRUE GRIT Off Shore Fishing Team

as it is right now you must get a federal migratory species permit if you fish for tuna/ bill fish and sharks off shore.

Boats must also have a PFD for each person aboard, in serviceable condition and a throwable flotation device, working lights, some type of bilge pump (small boats shout have a bucket), if you have an inboard your blower ventalation must work.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Force View Post
State law requires that every mechanically propelled vessel,
16 feet and greater in length, carry United States Coast Guard approved visual distress equipment. This applies to all mechanically propelled vessels operating upon the state’s joint jurisdictional waters, where the state and federal government share responsibility, as well as the interior sole-state lakes.
Most boats can meet this requirement by simply carrying three USCG approved day/night hand held flares. You may also carry any combination of three-day and three night-approved pyrotechnic devices. Non-pyrotechnic options include an approved electric distress light (for night) or an orange distress flag (for day). Whichever you choose, all devices must be in serviceable condition and readily accessible. For pyrotechnics, the expiration date, as printed on the device, must not have lapsed. When buying pyrotechnic visual distress equipment always look for the freshest devices possible, those with at least three years of service life would be the newest.
State law requires that all vessels operating between sunset and sunrise, regardless of length, carry visual distress signals approved for night use. For obvious safety reasons rowboats and canoes should also carry visual distress signals approved for night use when out on the water after sunset. Keep in mind also that Federal law requires all manually propelled craft to carry visual distress equipment, approved for night use, when operating on the state’s joint jurisdictional waters.

http://www.nysparks.com/boating/docs/boaters_guide.pdf

Hope this helps .
Thanks for the explaination.
I had flares on board, no mention of flag not needed if flares on board.

roughrider out
Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Me thinks you need a fire extinguisher too.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Official Member

depending on the size of the boat what type of fire extinguisher you need and you also have to have a flotation device , and a life vest on board for everyone that is there, also if you have any children under the age of 12 on board they have to be wearing the life vest at all times.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Striper Hunter

roughrider,
You need the flag AND flares.
Grit,
If you have a PFD for each person on board & no extra. You can refuse an inspection boarding if the boarder is not wearing a PFD.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Official Member

Grit,
If you have a PFD for each person on board & no extra. You can refuse an inspection boarding if the boarder is not wearing a PFD.[/quote]

In my eyes that would be asking for trouble and just piss them off they would prolly just reach into their cuddy and grab a pfd and then give you every ticket they can for the stupidest crap, i have no problem with a law enforcement officer coming on board and investigating because most of what they require you to have is necassary and if I dont have something and they let me know about it I may need it at a later date in a emergency.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Striper Hunter

How about when they give you a ticket for not having enough PDF's.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Striper Hunter

I was told the throwable flotation device must also have a rope attached (how many feet,I don't know.) Can anyone confirm this.