Tube n' Worm Depth - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:42 PM

Default Tube n' Worm Depth

Since August I haven't been able to find a lot of stripers trolling in Boston Harbor...on mono is there a ratio on how much line to the depth for a tube n' worm rig? If I let out to much I snag weeds and the tube is useless, but to little line and my tubes are running to high. I ask b/c I don't think my tubes are running at the right depth, which is why im not catching as many fish...Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2004, 12:48 AM

try asking the Riddler in the kayaking forum, he trolls tube and worm ovah in Wintrhop from his yak.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Veteran

Default Re: Tube n' Worm Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBoy
Since August I haven't been able to find a lot of stripers trolling in Boston Harbor...on mono is there a ratio on how much line to the depth for a tube n' worm rig? If I let out to much I snag weeds and the tube is useless, but to little line and my tubes are running to high. I ask b/c I don't think my tubes are running at the right depth, which is why im not catching as many fish...Thanks
what kind of boat do you have , the slower you go the better the tube works what type of reel, line. use lead line . how many feet of water are you in . where in the harbor are you fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 07:05 PM

My boat is a 20' 1980 Grady. I am currently using Big Game mono on Penn 320 gTi levelwinds w/ Penn Mariner rods. I haven't yet made the switch to leadcore, but mono hasn't been giving me trouble. Im fishing Faun Bar and around Boston Harbor.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Tube n' worm depth

BostonBoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 16ft Sunbird and use the Penn 320 gTi reels while tubing. However, I use leadcore line and I think that makes all the difference in getting to the right depth. Methinks you'll have to splurge on that and it'll be a wise investment. Saturday I fished Faun Bar from high til 3 hrs on the drop and was hitting double headers on each pass over the bar for awhile. I then tried near Castle Island and also hit the striped ones. My speed while trolling is around 2 knots, give or take. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the advice...I was out on Sunday and got 4 in a 45 minute period. I would have liked to spend more time on the bar, but thats all I could fit in. I did OK with mono and I just "felt" the right depth. There was a pretty good chop so I stayed close to the wall, and it produced pretty well. Do have any experience w/ shad umbrella rigs? I don't have one but it seems like they produce in the right conditions. I might troll one along with my tubes.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 10:52 PM

Default Tube n' worming

BostonBoy, yeah I've tried the shad umbrella rigs for stripers but with mixed results. Sometimes they hook seaweed and they are just awful to reel in. H-e-a-v-y... Best thing is to keep them behind the boat with not too much line out, don't let them drop to the bottom and they're effective. I think they're better out near Graves or B buoy for blues though.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Veteran

Default faun bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBoy
My boat is a 20' 1980 Grady. I am currently using Big Game mono on Penn 320 gTi levelwinds w/ Penn Mariner rods. I haven't yet made the switch to leadcore, but mono hasn't been giving me trouble. Im fishing Faun Bar and around Boston Harbor.
I love the bar, great fishing watch out for the big rocks that come out of the water just on the outside. They show up after a hour or so .The tube works good.(orange) fish the outside. about thirty five feet of water. go slow