Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Albany Newcomer

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Zschubert 
#1 ·
hi im seth from i live in downtown albany and have the luxury of walking to the hudson for a few casts at anytime. no boat tho. heard about striper and want to give them a try.i have fished before but never caught anything larger then a sunny. am i gonna be in for a surprise? is it gonna rip the rod outa my hand and make me spill my beer? the palomar knot is about all i know about fishing and i just learned that. any tips or help would be appreciated. This was hard for me i've pretended to know something about fishing for a long time!lol

#2 ·
Re: Albany Branch, Hudson River Chapter of S247

went out sat high tide from river bank by corning preserve barge using chunk salted herring bout 4' from surface not even hit. sunday walked down couple miles closer to green island bridge bout 8 am same set up skunked again i picked up some sand worms but after seeing them decided to stick to herring for the day. couple boats i saw at the launch said they had no luck either so i didn't feel as bad. im using braided line but someone told me i should be using monofil with ceramic eyelets is this true? 20lb test ok?

#3 ·

went out sat high tide from river bank by corning preserve barge using chunk salted herring bout 4' from surface not even hit. sunday walked down couple miles closer to green island bridge bout 8 am same set up skunked again i picked up some sand worms but after seeing them decided to stick to herring for the day. couple boats i saw at the launch said they had no luck either so i didn't feel as bad. im using braided line but someone told me i should be using monofil with ceramic eyelets is this true? 20lb test ok?
Most guys are using mono, i definately prefer it over braid. But a buddy of mine was using braid yesterday and he did fine with it. 20lb line is fine. What you should do is skip the salted chunk bait and get your hands on some LIVE herring, should be easy to find now.

#5 ·

i did pick up a herring rig from conroys yesterday. am i supposed to bait the hooks? some guy told me to use little pieces of white paper? can i fish for herring and striper simultaneously w/o worrying about my 1 of my rods getting dragged in the water. also with the fish finder rig. dose the weight go to the bottom and bait float off the bottom the length of the leader? and last will the fish finder rig prevent the tangles i get using a 3 way swivel?

#6 ·

i did pick up a herring rig from conroys yesterday. am i supposed to bait the hooks? some guy told me to use little pieces of white paper? can i fish for herring and striper simultaneously w/o worrying about my 1 of my rods getting dragged in the water. also with the fish finder rig. dose the weight go to the bottom and bait float off the bottom the length of the leader? and last will the fish finder rig prevent the tangles i get using a 3 way swivel?
-Do not bait the Herring/Sabiki rig at all, they will hit it just the way it is.
Also make sure you only have 5 hooks on it (some come with 6) Here in
NY 5 is the max you can have ... i just cut the top one off mine.

-You can fish for both at the same time, you are allowed 2 lines/poles
in the water max. Make sure you set your drag real loose on the Striper
rod (i assume you do not have a bait runner reel) and you will be ok.

-The fish finder rig has a weight on you main line (either egg sinker or
slide to attach weight to), swivel, 3' leader (approx) and then your hook
with the bait. Better than the 3way swivel IMO

Hope this helps :bluegrin:
Now go get'em !!!

BB

#8 ·

thanks guys i appreciate all the help . i was really clueless, using a 3 way swivel, 2 oz weight with a bobber!! haha. im not in a boat so i dont think drifting really effects me?can i just throw any old bead on, below the line slider to keep the knot from fouling?

#9 ·

went out saturday morn for 5 hrs and mon for 3 nothing i cant even catch herring with a sabiki rig. to make my self feel better i went and got myself a 10' ugly stik bigwater. not that i think this will improving my fishing luck. any recommendations for a reel that will pair up well? are there any that will work for braid and mono?

#10 ·

went out saturday morn for 5 hrs and mon for 3 nothing i cant even catch herring with a sabiki rig. to make my self feel better i went and got myself a 10' ugly stik bigwater. not that i think this will improving my fishing luck. any recommendations for a reel that will pair up well? are there any that will work for braid and mono?
where are you fishing that you can't catch herring?

are you right on the bottom with your rig?

#11 ·

the dock at the corning preserve boat launch and have tried various spots half a mile in either direction. casting with a 1 oz weight deff gettin all the way to the bottom. pretty sure i just really suck at fishing. even spent most saturday in a rain suit so its not that i'm not dedicated. lol

#12 ·

pretty sure i just really suck at fishing
Don't get discouraged. The best of them get skunked and frequently.
Surfcasting is a young mans game. Us old guys get beat up real fast.
We have to increase the odds by doing our best to find productive water and by being in the right place at the right time.
How many times have you heard the phrase. You should have been here yesterday?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.