Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Need some assistance with the Salem Harbor Area?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SnowRider 
#1 ·
I have now fished Salem Harbor twice via a small 16ft boat. The first time was last year and I was completely skunked. On this trip, I watched another boat chucking live bait (i assume mackerel) with balloons and nailing them. We dont have a live well on the boat so this tends to be a problem.

Last week I went out again and did manage to catch 50 or so mackerel and pollock. This time we brought along a small minnow bucket and jammed about 6 live mackerel in there for some live bait fishing!!! We did not catch ANY Stripers or even get a hit? What am I doing wrong? I hooked the mackerel through the head and lip with a 7.0 hook and attached a balloon about 6-8 feet above the bait. the bait swam great and managed to stay alive for a long while. I casted the bait in all of the fishiest spots that I know. Nothing!!!!

I tried chunking some cut up mackerel? nothing....I tried some squid, nothing.... I tried some mackerel rapalas. nothing I tried some jigs... yep, nothing?

Where are the fish right now? Im not asking for your fishing spots just the generic information. both boats have great fish finders and gps.

Are the fish in deeper water or near the rocky shores? any and all help is very much appreciated. I am heading out this Friday in a much larger boat with a livewell! I hope to crush them!!!!!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.