Tags
hate poachers
11K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  Chinookhead 
#1 ·
I know this isn't Striper Related, but I hate poaching! :devil:
I especially hate finning! :devil:

2004-266 L.D.W.F. UNCOVERS SHADY SHARK DEALINGS
8/18/2004

Agents of the Special Investigations Unit of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Enforcement Division have cited six persons for alleged federal fisheries violations. The citations stemmed from an investigation of "finning" of sharks. "Finning" is the illegal practice of catching sharks and removing the fins and discarding the carcass. The unit is working under a joint enforcement agreement with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Office for Law Enforcement.
On August 7, agents determined the fishing vessel "Patrick James" had allegedly taken and sold approximately 1,125 pounds of shark fins and only 3,380 pounds of shark to Venice Fish and Shrimp, a wholesale seafood dealer located in Venice.

Properly licensed and permitted commercial vessels and fishermen may legally sell shark fins but only in proportion with shark carcasses. Shark fins should represent approximately five percent of the carcass weight of a shark. In this case, 1,125 pounds of shark fins represent over 22,000 pounds of shark, most of which were finned and discarded during the "Patrick James" fishing trip.

The following persons were charged with numerous alleged violations of federal regulations for shark: Cha Van Kha, 45 of Venice, captain of the fishing vessel Patrick James; Tai Tan Nguyen, 23 of Gretna; Huong V. Nguyen, 42, of Venice,; Ngai Ngoc Tran, 47, of Venice; Truong Thuy Le, 33 of Venice; and Thai Hoa Ngo, 42, of Venice, owner of Venice Fish and Shrimp.

Penalties for these violations are fines of up to $250,000 and include permit sanctions.

Agents participating in the case were Senior Agents James Gomillion and Buck Hampton.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is another version of the story. :evil:

2004-326 COMMERCIAL SHARK FISHER ISSUED PENALTIES
10/6/2004

The National Marine Fisheries Service Office of the General Counsel issued a Notice of Violation and Assessment (NOVA) on September 29th to the captain/owner of the fishing vessel the "Patrick James" for violations of federal shark regulations. Chau Van Kha, 45 of Venice was issued an assessment for $30,000 and a 45-day permit sanction for the shark violations. The Special Investigations Unit of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Enforcement Division initiated the case while working under a joint enforcement agreement with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration?s Office for Law Enforcement.

On August 7, agents determined the fishing vessel "Patrick James" had allegedly taken and sold approximately 3,380 pounds of shark carcasses and 1,125 pounds of shark fins to Venice Fish & Shrimp, a wholesale seafood dealer located in Venice Louisiana.
Agents identified approximately 1000 pounds of shark fins hidden on top of refrigerated coolers at the Venice Fish & Shrimp. The fins had been offloaded at the dock upon the vessel?s arrival in the middle of the night.

Shark fins represent approximately five percent of the carcass weight of shark. 1,125 pounds of shark fins represent over 22,000 pounds of shark, most of which were finned and returned to the water to die during the fishing trip of the "Patrick James."

Agents participating in the case were Senior Agents James Gomillion and Buck Hampton.

#3 ·
Pure scum. I know how you feel bud. As much as I loathe the act of poaching, we cant hate them. All we can do is pray for them, and hope one day they become better people. Atleast the fines are of a higher value.

I am however not surprised to see names like "Nguyen", "Tran", and "Le". It is quite disturbing how often I see people of Asian descent involved in poaching and game theft.

#4 ·
Irony
Compared to the sentencing they would get back un their homelands under Marshall law 30,000 fine seems like nothing to them. Probably death by finning. Or de skinning.
I doubt they even pay the fines here. They should lose the vessell as well. Gets me pissed. It also gives the authorities the ammo they need for the implementarion of salt water licenses. :(

#5 ·
Jim, all this season, I have been seriously thinking about a saltwater licensing program. I used to think it wasnt needed, and understood why they didnt implement it here in NH.

But now, especially after this summer, I am having second thoughts. Every year, I catch and report an increasing number of paochers and game thieves. It really works me up to no end, to the point that I actually contacted my local Fish N Game dept. for info on being a Conservation Officer.

I now believe we need to institute a saltwater licensing program here in NH. That way, if your not licensed to be on the water, on the jetty, in the estuaries, at the dams, etc., .......GET THE HELL OUT!!!!

I also move to jack the fines up 10 fold.

#6 ·
I would agreee with a license John if it was subsidized privately or something. The right to fish should belong to us all, to those who can afford the fees and especially to those who cant afford them.

At least with a license "privaledge" it may be respected more. But probably only to us who respect the law anyway. Its enough to try and gain access to fish down this way anyway, with state park fees, beach buggy fees, beach access fees in some cases and federal fees to park and fish. Its enough to make your head spin.

#7 ·
I agree with a license, we already pay to fish frash watah, and pay to hunt. Why should salt be any different. In NH the $$$ goes towards conservation and wildlife programs anyway. It just pisses me off when people abuse game laws, it make fishermen and hunters that obey the laws and are ethical look bad also.

#8 ·
Then apply the fresh water license to both fresh and salt. Dont you think the govt is already in our pockets enough? :idea:

That way you would have to display a fishing licence on your person where more eyes would be watching. But less money would be drained from your hide because of a few criminal morons. It burns me up that I would have to pay for that. The only way I would agree to any type of salt licence in my state is if I was allowed to use it in any and all other coastal states. If you live next to three states your allready paying 120. bucks a year for fresh water licenses. Most striper and fishing associations have been fighting these licenses for years. Just more bureucracy and BS. Fish and game and consevation and wildlife do just fine without getting into our pockets more. No?

#9 ·
I'm not sure I'd be into buying multiple licences.....1 for fishing the Pisc and one for fishin da mahsh, then anutha to go fish with Briggs.........and on and on it goes. If there was a universal salt watah licence I think that would be fair. I'm in the shocked catgory about the surnames involved too "Chinese Food!! Chinese Food!!"

#12 ·
National park pass is 50 bucks. So is a gateway federal pass. It doesnt end. The salt licences should be consolidated with the freshy licence in a probationary basis with a freiken lerners permit. Lose it and your toast. for good!!! my 2c

#13 ·
I can't stand a poacher, dishonesty at it's peak.

Do any of ya'll state have the Catch-A-Poacher program?? Here's the link to MD DNR's page on it. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/poacher.asp

They are VERY strict on poachers down here, and if you call that hotline and give info leading to an arrest and conviction, they don't tell you the money value on that site but it's 500$ per conviction that you get from them.

We have a weird system down here, MD DNR, Charles County Sherriff, and USCG patrol the Potomac, but it is govorned by the Potomac River Fisheries Commision (PRFC). It's a organization of MD, VA, and DC, and it does a great job crackin' down on poachers, especially crab and striper poachers.

If ya'll don't have that program, maybe some letters to your DNR would help, it's had a lot of success in MD, and I doubt ya'lls state is as cash strapped as ours. :)

#20 ·
Hey whats up guys? I had to stick my 2 cents in here definetly. sorry, cant hold back hahaha.

After reading this discussion for a few minutes, it reminded me of the fight we had down here in Rhode Island....That of course, The RISAA (rhode island saltwater anglers assoc.) (my club) won. So now i'm in all my risaa newsletters, looking for the article. havent quite found it yet but i found an insert in one of them from the January 2004 edition.

.......Salt Water License Defeated:

Our quick mobilization and signature gathering of 3,000 names in one weekend to Defeat The Salt Water License Proposal was an astounding effort, driven by RISAA members from accross the state.

I'm gonna try to scan in the real article for you guys to read, you should definetly read it, even if for just another outlook on licenses. Without licences, we still put millions of dollars in revenew back into the state. we dont make everything do we? hahha. It will be an interesting read when i post this. give me a few to find it lol. i definetly wasn't born with a silver computer in my mouth. hell, my wife gives me crap when i point at the monitor and use the word computer.

I love when the state tries to pass certain things around here, i've been at this so long, i got all the senators, gov., state house...e-mail adrresses, complete with office and home phone numbers, hahaha. god they must hate me.

I myself will never be paying for a license to do what i've always done. Let um come find me......don't bring a knife to a gunfight, hahaha. j/k. most of the time.

can't we all just get along?

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN 8)

:x THE WORLD SHOULD LEAVE THE FISHERMAN ALONE !!!

pOACHERS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED !!!

LET THE FISHERMAN TAKE CARE OF THE PEOPLE TRYING TO RUIN IT!!!!

DON'T MAKE ME GET A ROPE !!!

#25 ·
This year, the Marsh Marauders dubbed our conservation and awareness efforts "Operation Derelict". We busted more than several people throughout the season poaching and being game thieves. Scumbags.

I think next seasons efforts will be dubbed "Operation Dirtbag", or, "Operation Degenerate".

We had one group of misfits that was frequenting the trestle throughout the Summer. They were from out near the Lee traffic circle area I believe. Driving out to Hampton to litter, poach, and light bonfires on the trestle. Well, one night while I was guiding for a group of tourists from Connecticut that had come up to stay at Hampton Beach, I decided I had had enough of these kids. The group I was with consisted of a guy and his son, and the guys brother-in-law and his young daughter. All the swearing, throwing of beer bottles and cans against the rocks and into the tree was really getting me worked up. (me worked up? no way!). At this point I had named this group "The Derelict 5", because there was usually 5 of them that would come down in 2 seperate cars. Well a few weeks went by, and these dorphs came back down there while I was with 2 of my friends. They were in their late teens, and soon enough started in with their antics. The heavy set kid throws a bottle into the tree. I let the verbal cannon loose on him, and told him not to litter in my backyard and to stop being a friggin degenerate bum. Well after they had their fill of their beer, they decided to leave. Well soon after they had headed up the trail, I packed up and my friend and I hopped in his S10 and headed up the trail as well. So we get to the end of the trail, and well well well, 2 or 3 Hampton police cruisers had blocked the kids in as they were trying to leave. LOL. Perfect timing huh?

And to top it all off, that very same night, there was 2 guys probably in their early 30's, fishing the marsh too. I overheard their conversations. At one point they caught a schoolie on the incoming tide, and the guy says to his buddy "do you want it? I'd keep it". Workin me right up. So after the tide turns to go out, they move down to the point, and I stay on the trestle to fish (which I never do anymore), just so I can have a birds eye view of the action. Well while "the Derelict 5" was on the bridge next to us, these 2 guys decided to call it quits and come walking across the bridge. I ask "anything good", just to see the response. They start laughing and say "nope, but we got something decent in the cooler to take home".

Well thats just too bad, idiots, because you parked your truck close to the trestle, not far from where I was sitting, and I got your plate number. Jackass.

So we busted the Delerict 5, who NEVER returned to the marsh for the rest of the season, AND, we got 2 more game thieves in the same night.

Not bad. Awareness is our trademark.

If you take short bass or go over your limit in front of any one of us, you absolutely will be reported.

I'll tell you one thing, I would move to make marshlands "license only". There are just too many lowlifes running amuck out in the estuaries. The estuaries need more protection from plunder and pillage lol. I would have no problem if they enacted a licensing program for tha mahsh. I would actually fight for it.

#26 ·
Good Job Jonny,

Not only is awareness very important but, actions go alot further with these scumbags. I wouldn't have been as nice. my wife says that i love instigating, not lil ole me. I totally agree with licenses for trestles and small places like that that these guys (cambodians) sorry guys, like to frequent. i'm definetly against licenses for the regular fishermen, like us.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.