Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - Problem and possible solution
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Problem and possible solution

I dis-agree. Back when we had the last moratorium the stock came back. And no one could take any fish during that time. So now you're saying if we cut back that somehow that won't work because there would be too many? HUH? That fuzzy math don't work for me.

Tags to get 250 fish in one shot? Sorry but I dis-agree again. One thing is you'll find a pod of the biggest fish you can get and then hammer the large ones so that you get 250 forty pounders as opposed to 20 pounders. Wanna set a limit make it on the weight and not the quantity. Plus if you take 250 all in one shot then you typically wipe out whole pods which will never re-produce again whereas if you take 5 out of a pod of 250 then there are still many breeders left to move on

While every charter may not limit out, many times they do, otherwise they would not have any customers. Multiply that by 2-3 times per day and thousands of trips per day up and down the coast....well you get my drift

And regarding poachers. Yeah since we can't catch 'em all we should just give up and let them have their way. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. I say take their licenses....both boat and auto...and take their boats and severe fines. The word will get out

Do you know if you own a boat and get caught drinking while driving your boat that you lose your boat license and your drivers license? No different then for poachers

In addition there should be monitors on every comercial vessel, especially trawlers, that get to see the catch and the by-catch. All the by-catch should count towards the commercial quotas