Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2013 Delaware river reports (post'em here)

196K views 564 replies 45 participants last post by  Paul54 
#1 ·
Here's a glance at our river in 2013. Hope to place a report on Friday but most likely not til Sunday.

#541 ·
First I would love to get out on the river to target stripers but my first love is the surf and the fall is myfavorite and most productive time to enjoy the ocean almost completely alone unlike spring and summer. That being said:

There are non-migatory bass that turn on more in the fall on the Big D you could easily located the schoollies begining to stack up in the lower river system and have a steady pick at them during your trip then there are the few bass who found our river to have adquate forage and confertable tempetures that stayed all summer and will either become a permenant resident or in the fall may migrate back down and meet up with the southern convoy then also you have NJ bass and even the frequent norther migratory bass that will stop off in the bay and decide to winter over in our river system. So fall chances on the Big D are increased not so much for that cow that's at max weight for her class from putting on the feed but for good action and the chance at a quality size bass fall on the Big D can be well worth it.
But as far a "fall run" that term is usually used to refer to the coastal migration of bait and other game fish namely the striped bass which have spent the Sumer months in waters off of RI and areas north which migrate south to waters off of VA or NC coast.
Either way the fall is still the best season to fish for all species concerned. Catch'em up!

#543 ·
I would target the same areas as in spring humps ledges points flats. Bait bloods chunk and live eel maybe some bunk or chubs. Lures I'd try buck tails rat-l-traps soft shads or poppers. Bloods have been most productive for the folks I have spoken to. Good luck catch'em up and check out NJAnglers.com using Mufish as ur reference when signing up. My river reports will still continue on this site year after year tho.

#544 ·
I signed up as my other screen name Illswimhome and gave you the referral.

So, I might hit the river soon. I'm still going to be taking clams or bloods but I've been interested in trying out slug-go top lures. Is that something I should wait until the spring for or should I order a few for next weekend?

#547 ·
Thank You Mu for the quick lesson on the term 'fall run' and migratory patterns of out beloved striped fishies. I am always looking for knowledge on how these fish operate. This weekend I am going out in the Delaware bay...hopefully they will be biting. Already have 3 doz. bunker reserved. The following weekend I am staying at a friends place on the beach in Seaisle. Gonna try my hand at surf fishing for striper. Never did that before so any advice would be appreciated. Then its back under the bridge.

Dave

#548 ·
I'll be in sea isle this weekend which is my primary spot to fish the surf send me a email if ur down I'll give u a few pointers about the island and the surf. It's been slow the last few weeks for me down there but there are massive amounts of bass still way north of us slowly trickling down the coast it still remains to be seen if sandy altered any travel routes.

3 doz bunk for the bay is good stuff when I use bunker it gets changed evey 15-20 minutes I cut 3 pieces 4 including the head tail gets tossed old pieces get hacked to small pieces and chummed so during the next 15 minute soak there are a few small pieces being thrown over the rail every 2-3 minutes keeping a constant chum line. Let us know how the bay turns out havent heard much happening down there as of yet.

#549 ·
Last week was blown due to 45 not winds so didn't get out on my brother in laws boat. He caught a 50" in the bay on Monday...lucky bastard. Rough water I heard. Leaving early Saturday to go to Seaisle and try my hand in the surf. Just got done fixing my old surf reel and the screw to the crank busted. Had to string a smaller one...we will see what happens. thanks for the advice...again.

Dave

#550 ·
Last week was blown due to 45 not winds so didn't get out on my brother in laws boat. He caught a 50" in the bay on Monday...lucky bastard. Rough water I heard. Leaving early Saturday to go to Seaisle and try my hand in the surf. Just got done fixing my old surf reel and the screw to the crank busted. Had to string a smaller one...we will see what happens. thanks for the advice...again.

Dave
how did you make out in senile surf? we hit high tide in Absecon inlet sunday morning fished 2 1/2 hrs outgoing 3 guys 6 lines baited w everything from flounder bellies, clams, mullet, spot, NOT A BITE!!!!! one green crab that also went on a hook. Tight Lines. Hank

#552 ·
I heard they had some fish in Delaware Bay yesterday on bunker and on the Sea Isle Lump. Looking to get out next weekend if the weather co operates. How have you been doing in Sea Isle.
I was on vacation for 3 weeks but still want to get together with you for a couple of trips if your still interested.

#553 ·
Was in SIC last weekend on the beach...rain n fog and none of the surf guys were doing anything...decided to just enjoy the weekend with my buds. Talked to a few of the surf fishers and they all said nothing was hitting...word was the closest catch was at the OC Reef. Had to bring some bunker home and tried a bit under the CCB after work on Monday. Had to get the line in the water to get rid of the bug. Had a few huge hits at sundown...and they weren't cats. We will see this weekend...gonna brave the cold. Keep the faith, they are coming, full moon might have slowed their progress moving down to us.

Dave

#554 ·
I'm in SIC every weekend mid island hasn't been a bass landed in the suds on the island in weeks. I'm over 200 hrs since Oct. my worst season ever so far....so far because it ain't over I usually fish until waters drop below 40 last year because of sandy I didn't start catching til dec. hopefully it turns on big time. SIC lumps had fish thurs-fri sat not much was caught.

#556 ·
Braved the wind this early afternoon under the CCB. Saw a few guys drive up and turn right around. Wasn't that bad when I pulled my SUV to block the wind. Anyway there were a couple of lil bastards stealing my bait and sending my real running but I couldn't hook anything. Using the bunker I brought home from my failed weekend at SIC. One plus... my Pop gave me an old Penn reel of my grandpop's who lived in Seattle and used it to fish for Salmon. Perfect condition and about 40 years old. Kept me busy playing with it while hiding from the wind. Still haoping for a river catch.

Dave

#558 ·
Hope everyone had a nice Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza and Festivus. My pop got me a nice high end Penn reel. Here's my issue...I can't wait to use this badboy. It's so smooth. Does anyone know if there is any other fish to fish for aside from cats in the Delaware this time of year?? I will go out in the cold just to use the new reel. Under the commodore barry is fun but is there anything that bites now...and on what? I am planning a cod trip to north NJ in feb...but that's too long to wait.

Bummer of a striper season this year.

Dave

#559 ·
Hope everyone had a nice Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza and Festivus. My pop got me a nice high end Penn reel. Here's my issue...I can't wait to use this badboy. It's so smooth. Does anyone know if there is any other fish to fish for aside from cats in the Delaware this time of year?? I will go out in the cold just to use the new reel. Under the commodore barry is fun but is there anything that bites now...and on what? I am planning a cod trip to north NJ in feb...but that's too long to wait.

Bummer of a striper season this year.

Dave
If your going under the bridge, your only going to find cats. Might be too cold but I've seen cod caught on canned corn near the airport a few months ago...probably too cold down there now alright.gif

#560 ·
Thanks for the cold weather reply...now there is so much ice in the river its like a glacier. Anyway, I never knew cod came up the river. (still new to river fishing). Where by the airport? I have never fished over there... I assume down that hog island road? I have heard there is fishing back there but I haven't been down that road for about 15 years since I as looking for a makeout spot with my highschool girlfriend. I read on a different blog that this guy and his son had luck above the Ben franklin on the NJ side jigging for small mouth bass on warm days after a cold snap. They targeted small holes near rock walls and the shore. This fisherman said they had great luck in the middle of last winter and he was going out out to do the same as soon as the weather broke...I never heard of such.

Spring will be coming soon.

Dave

#563 ·
Re: 2014 Delaware river reports (post'em here)

Hey MU and all you others,

It's mid march and I am dying to do some fishing. was hoping to do some cod fishing this winter but too much ice. I am ready to bust a move on the Delaware river this spring. If you read anything I wrote before I am new to the river and have been fishing below the CBB for a year and a half. My access to boat fishing became limited so I had to improvise, I have grinded it out beloow the CBB but I have never been out for a good spring river run on the Delaware. I hear Raccoon Creek across the Del in NJ is great in the spring...any info on that...anyone..anyone? Been going on word of mouth about that...I hear the cows like Raccoon Creek...anyone ever hit that? I am in Ridley, PA so I want some info on where to go. any help would be great.

Thanks.
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.