Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Is the gas tank safe?

Tags
gas safe tank
2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Roccus 
#1 ·
I have an old metal gas tank (portable) with no vent. I am pretty sure the pressure is building up with no where to go but out the male fuel line connector. Is this safe? or Should I get a new tank?
I also have a plastic one with a vent which has no problems.

Thanks

#2 ·
I think the old metal tankes were vented, but not through the cap. I still run one without problem. But, if you think there is a problem, I wouldn't risk a problem and would probably get a new one. Your call, but the last thing you want on the water is a problem with a fuel tank.

#3 ·
Some 50's and 60's vintage Johnson and Evirudes used a pressurized tank instead of a fuel pump( much like the oil tanks on some larger outboards today), fuel was pushed through the lines by pressurizing the fuel tank via pulses from the crank case,the initial fuel in the carb was delivered via the primer ball, they can easily be spotted because the fitting had a double line....

when dealing with marine fuel tanks, if you have to question weather it is safe or not.... it probably should be replaced.

My .02
roc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.