Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Surfcasting reel

11K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  StormCaster 
#1 ·
Im in the market for a new spinning reel for surfcasting. I use a 9ft tica and am currently using a 6500 size reel that balances pretty well. I would like to spend no more than 200$ and that's pushin it. I would like one that will last a few seasons as the one I am using now was about 90$ but its shot, er at least in need of a serious tuneup. I am not made of money so please no name dropping like van staal....would love to but.....need to pay rent too :redbiggrin:

#3 ·
I will look into the Quantum. I had the chance to check out the Penn SSG reels at lunch, really liking them...but will check out the Quantum as well, anyone else have a reel they like for fishing surf ?

#4 ·
IMO
I agree with jake the cabo is solid. the handle feels a little funny to me.
For a spinning reel a 704 Penn. - Not everyone likes em.
But I love em.
The backups to the good stuff (Z and VS) are in order of useage
Penn 706 / 704Z
Quantum cabo Pt
Daiwa emblem pro
Penn 6500ss series
Shimano Baitrunners 4500 and 6500
I sold off most all of the penn ss series and most of the other stuff.

#5 ·
I ended up buying a Penn 6500ssm because it is reasonably priced and seems solid. There is not even an option for reverse so IMO simpler = better. I know everyone says because the new ones are made in China they are no good but it really feels solid. Took it out to get used to it and I'm likin it...

#6 ·
i just serviced my neighbors penn 6500ss for him. he had that thing loaded with white lithium grease...which is a no no, it was like the reel was packed with cement...the reel was abused for some time.. $25 bucks for parts and the past few evenings tinkering between projects i was able to make that thing smooth as silk. i think his reel had served him well as far as reliability...he told me he hasnt put grease in it for at least three years...now im sure he will get many more years out of it.thumbsup.gif

#8 ·
Well that gives me some confidence in my choice, thanks guys. Not sure what you mean tho Jim. I bought this brandy new at store Sunday....pretty sure that means it was made overseas right?

#10 ·
#11 ·
Hi all,
Just joined the group and am looking into a new reel, also.
I am a little confused, though.
What are the big differences between the Slammer and SSm reels?
They seem to be comparable in cost and line capacity.
Biggest difference I see is the weight; with the Slammer models being a little lighter.
Are there any major differences in construction or longevity?

Anyway; here's hoping the weather breaks soon. These temps are really weird.
Looking forward to trying my hand at Weekapaug, Quonnie, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.