Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Stripers in Central Oregon

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
I just moved to central oregon from the bay area of california and need to find some stripers up here. I have heard there are hybrid stripers in a place called Ana Resevoir? Anybody know any details. Am mainly interested in fly fishing for them.

#2 ·
Tyson. Welcome to the Board

Tyson

Lake Ana holds the Oregon state record for hybrid striper. 18 pounds 8 ounces caught in 2002 by Justin Marks.

Eric Shindler of the ODFW sent me this info when I was putting the site together.
"At this point in time Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife only has one hybrid (striped bass x white bass cross) stocking program. That program is at Ana Reservoir in central Oregon (north of Lakeview). Previously there was a hybrid program in the Tenmile Lake system, but was discontinued due to straying issues and salmonid predation concerns by the public.
ODFW did have a hatchery stocking program in effect for quite a while to collect fish from the Coos system and then replant fry. I am unaware of the current status of this program, but Mike Gray at the Coos District office could update you. His number is 541/888-5515".

There is additional info on Oregon Stripers here at this addresss www.stripers247.com/oregon.htm

I will post some more info on lake Ana soon.

Again Welcome to the site. I believe that there is another Oregon fly fishermen who is a member here.

Thanks for participating and I hope you enjoy the forum

Jim

#3 ·
MORE ON ANA

Ana Reservoir is fed by underground springs, making it a popular lake in winter. Fish for the Hybrid Striped Bass early in the year along the west side of the lake. Rainbow and cutthroat trout are present anywhere around the lake. Although there are no formal campgrounds, camping is permitted around the lake perimeter. There is a boat ramp with no size or motor restrictions. Facilities are limited.

Fish: Striped hybrid bass, rainbow trout
Average Size: Trout 14 - 21 inches, ODFW regulations on bass: 16 inches or bigger may be kept. Under 16 inches must be released.
Techniques: Fly fishing is popular for trout. Shrimp, prawn, chicken liver, and worms are popular baits for bass

List of topo maps from Aliens on earth bookstore. They sell for 10 bucks. Im not plugging them just presenting some info. http://www.aliensonearth.com/catalog/maps/loc/42/120/

also here is a book written on central oregon fly fishing.

http://www.nononsenseguides.com/books/oregon.php

The lake was recently drawn down

From bend.com news sources.
January 29 - LAKEVIEW - The Summer Lake Irrigation District will draw down Ana Reservoir in early February for head gate maintenance, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife announced today.

Ana Reservoir, located near the community of Summer Lake in southeast Oregon, is a 62- acre reservoir when at capacity and serves as a popular fishing area. The draw down will reduce the size to about 10 acres. Ana Reservoir will be refilled as soon as the maintenance is completed, and will be at capacity by mid-April.

The drawdown will be conducted slowly to protect fish and reduce disturbance to the reservoir bottom. There is no fish screen at the outlet other than a trash rack, but loss of fish from the reservoir is not anticipated.

Anglers that use the reservoir during this time should plan on accessing the reservoir through large mud flats. Boat launching will be extremely difficult. Stocking of legal rainbow trout will not be affected by the draw down due to the short time period for maintenance.

Water levels in Ana River, the reservoir's outlet, will increase and should remain fishable. Angling regulations published in the 2004 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations will remain in effect during the draw down for
both the reservoir and the river.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.