Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

North Carolinas Record breakers

10K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  ldleta 
#1 ·
Five record breaking fish landed in 2005
MOREHEAD CITY - It's been a year for the record books for anglers in North Carolina, with five record-breaking saltwater fish being brought to the docks.
On July 23, 2005, Derek Williams of Tampa, FL, caught a world record 21-pound, 6 ounce hogfish snapper off of Frying Pan Shoals.
Another world record was broken on April 16, 2004, when Frank Ballas of Indiana, PA hauled in a 4 pound, 5 ounce sand tilefish in the waters off of Oak Island.
Brandon Bailey of Moneta, VA, caught a 185-pound thresher shark on May 14, off of Oregon Inlet
This fall, 16-year-old Jesse Lockowitz of Carteret County broke the tarpon state record, landing a 175-pound fish at the Bogue Inlet pier. David Hiebert's weighed in a 62 pound striped bass at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center weighing station. It was caught om December 30th 2005 in the inlet itself aboard the private boat Triple Crown. The previous Marine striped bass record was 60 pounds and was caught in 1972 at Hatteras Island Surf by Catherine Willis

For more information about state record fish, visit the Division of Marine Fisheries Web site at http://www.ncdmf.net/recreational/record.htm or call Partha Howell at 1-800-682-2632 or 252-726-7021.

See less See more
#3 ·
Heres a little more on the fish

Posted on Thu, Jan. 05, 2006 Charlotte Observer
Michigan angler reels in fish that surpasses state mark by 2 pounds
Tom Higgans
Special Correspondent

North Carolina has a new listing for striped bass among the state's saltwater fishing records -- a striper weighing 62 pounds.
The fish was caught on Dec. 30 just off the beach at Avon on Hatteras Island by David Hiebert of Kalamazoo, Mich.
Hiebert was fishing from the Triple Crown, a 26-foot Mako owned and skippered by his longtime friend, David Branson of Apex.
Hiebert and Branson are pharmaceutical scientists who worked together a decade ago at Greenville, N.C.
The catch, which measured 53-1/2 inches in length and 32 in girth, tops the previous striper record of 60 pounds set in 1972 by Catherine Willis while fishing in the Hatteras Island surf.
"Our fish probably was even bigger, but we didn't get to weigh it on certified scales until six hours after it was boated," said Branson, who is a licensed captain and sometimes charters his boat.
The Branson party -- also along were his son Joshua and nephew Kilian Branson, both 13 -- put into the water at Oregon Inlet.
"It was wild down there that day," Branson said. "There were fishermen in hundreds of boats. We went through the inlet and headed south. We kept running for miles in order to get out of the congestion.
"Finally, I saw a promising sign. Lots of sea birds were diving and feeding, so I headed to them. From even a distance I also could see big fish swirling on the surface. I put out four lures, white Mojos, and trolled toward them.
"Within a minute we had three hits. The boys got the first two rods. David (Hiebert) took the third.
"Joshua and Kilian caught nice stripers of about 35 pounds each. David's, as we quickly saw, was much larger."
It took Hiebert, 47, about six minutes to work the super striper to the gaff of Branson, who turned 45 on Dec. 26.
"I got quite a belated, combination birthday and Christmas present in that big fish, didn't I," Branson said.
"It could have been an even greater present. There was a striper tournament in progress that day out of Oregon Inlet, and the prize for catching a state record was cash and merchandise totaling $250,000. Unfortunately, I hadn't entered the tournament.
"I'm not going to moan too much, though. A state record striper is prize enough."

#4 ·
Hi, I'm new to the site here (which is very cool BTW) and thought I'd add another "big fish" photo from this same time frame and place:

I had heard the record fish shown above was caught last weekend. Thanks for finally showing it to us, and giving us the rundown on it. I hadn't seen or read about it anywhere else after hearing everyone at the marina talking about it this past weekend.

We (myself and a few friends) went out the following day, from the same Oregon Inlet, and caught a nice one ourselves, albeit no record breaking fish. We had it weighed at those very same scales pictured above, and she came in at 42lbs.

That's my friend Bob in the photo, he reeled the heafty beast in. The fish went 45" x 28" with the tape measure.

The rest of the day found us literally fighting the Blues. We caught a bait of them and finally tired of losing so many softbaits to their teeth and headed in just before dark. While I fancy myself as more of an inland Striper and LM Bass fisherman here in NC, this trip to the OBX has changed my thinking about the week after Christmas around here, likely for years to come! :)

Great site you have here!

EB

#6 ·
Welcome Ed
welcome.gif

and Thank You Beautiful fish. Those big uns seemed to take the shortcut to Carolinas this fall.
Fatten em up for us for the return trip

#7 ·
Yeah, who'da thunk it, a record caught out there the very almost same day I take my first venture into saltwater Rockfish fishing.

Normally we chase the medium sized ones at Kerr Lake (Buggs Island) and the growing population at Jordan Lake here near Raleigh, where 10lb fish are "big" to us locals. But we got an invite to go out and fish the day after some tourney was going out there at Oregon Inlet and we jumped on it, thankfully.

The guys we were fishing with had fished that tourney and finished 30th maybe? Said our 42lb'er would've earned them a top 3 had they caught it Friday instead of Saturday...Needless to say, the 4.5 hour trip from our location to Kitty Hawk won't seem as long the next time we go out there...lol

I'm already trying to figure another good time slot to get out there before it totally dies off this year...so excuse the pun, but I think I'm hooked. :)

#8 ·
welcome. i also fish kerr lake cause its 15 miles away.finally a person who fishes the exact same area happy3.gif where in the lake do you fish?ive fished there 2 yrs and only caught 1 striper, and 1 catfish, and 4 sunbellys.how do ya fish for em?

#10 ·
Hey Ed! Yes, that would be us. Err, that would be Bob in the photo, me behind the camera. LOL!

A friend of Bob's through Barloworld got into going out to Oregon Inlet a couple years ago when he bought a new cat-hull boat. This was the first time we could all hook up at the same time and make a trip to the OBX. I'd like to make the trip a yearly thing for me and Bob when the stripers are running out there. We had a great time, in spite of dragging up such a big fish. That was almost just gravy considering the good weather we caught, and the beautiful scenery the OBX are from a boat.

How're things wid you?

#11 ·
stmn0 said:
welcome. i also fish kerr lake cause its 15 miles away.finally a person who fishes the exact same area happy3.gif where in the lake do you fish?ive fished there 2 yrs and only caught 1 striper, and 1 catfish, and 4 sunbellys.how do ya fish for em?
I've only been there a few times. We usually put in at Ivey Hill, and I've fished from the dam all the way to "Goat Island" (?) over the trips I've been up there on. Man, that water's deep up there at the dam ain't it? The last time we were up there we made a few passes through there and saw water as deep as 107 ft.

We've trolled live shad, using planer boards and rod holders putting out a good spread. We've also trolled Mann's Magnum Stretch-type crankbaits up there. And I think that's also the place we've jigged with bucktails and some sort of jig/spoon called a "crippl'd herring" (?)

The fella we fished at Oregon Inlet with last weekend, also fishes Kerr and is the one that got us interested in striper fishing up there in the first place. It has made for a nice diversion/addition to the largemouth bass and crappie fishing we normally do around here. Now that we can chase them at the beach too, it will add some change from our normal Summer-only routine that has us off Cape Lookout looking for King and Spanish macks, as well as flounder.

#12 ·
Mr Beasley
What Up! It's a small world after all! I was right surprised when I read your post, saw your friend Bob holding the fish, you were from Raleigh, and you normally fish for LMB and SMB...... I said to my self "Self, that's HB"! icon_thumleft.gif
Life is good here dood, but you definitely have the bigger fish.....see a post from today from me to see the whoppers we have to pick from here!
I PM'ed ya, and tried to find a good email for ya, even emailed Hess and Dager to try and find ya, with no success, glad you came back for a look.
This is a pretty cool website, lots of helpful people, not much in the way of big egos, and lots of fun, especially when the fish cooperate.
There is the chance that we might be able to get together and fish some, eh?
Make sure you say Howdy to Bob for me too, Happy New Year and all that stuff.
th_c4dffb1f.gif

Ed

#14 ·
Ed White said:
HB,
One last thing, how'd you get that fish? You said the Blues were tearing up the soft shads, were you trolling umbrella rigs? Or did Bob tag that one by himself? Either way that's a purty fish.

Ed
Yup, tis me. Still trying to stay away from driving on the computer so much and get out on the boats more often - mine and other people nice enough to invite me onto theirs. (I'm jonesen to get out on my own little bassboat this week. Daytime highs in the 60s are forecast here all week, might confuse the fish enough to turn on for a day or so, LOL!)

Man, I don't know what to tell you about the rigs. I'm used to casting for LM, as noted, and trolling for different marine species other than Striped Bass, so I am quite the noob. They were a hybrid daisy chain looking thing, definitely not an umbrella rig. There were three baits, each separated by some distance on the "main line" (though 3-way swivels were involved) and each were a length of leader that appeared to vary in length (got shorter) as you came up from the bottom rig leader. Onto each one of these 3 leaders, a mojo/swimbait was attached. Usually the bait bodies were also different lengths, bigger at the bottom rig and smallest at the top, though variation based on bottom depth seemed to be the theory of the day. That's the best recollection I can muster at the moment.

Bob's fish hit a 32oz mojo with what appeared to my untrained eye, was a soft fish shaped swimbait, about a foot in length. The baits above it in his rig were probably 8" and a 6", give or take. Shorter than the large one on the bottom for sure.

Of course this is all from memory which was affected by chilly temps, a decent swell, 80 miles of boat travel alone, 4.5 hours in a truck to get there, 4.5 hours of sleep, and no breakfast. However, I'd do it again tomorrow if I could... :)

We saw some folks out there pulling umbrella rigs, and big crankbaits too(Magnum Stretch maybe?), but the fish caught seemed to like the "bottom" rigs that day, as after action reports keep coming in...lol! The Blues sure did like those rigs though. I doubled on one run, pulled up a couple of nice looking blues about 10lb apiece - and my left elbow still hurts...

You just wait till the summer bud, I'll have a bunch of fish stories. Not many like this one, but they should be entertaining as usual. ;)

Later,

HB

#16 ·
Another pic of Heiberts fish.

David Hiebert North Carolina Record

David Hiebert and Capt. David Bronson with Hiebert's new N.C. state record 62 pound striper, caught December 30 2005 on Bronson's boat Triple Crown.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.