Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - Help me put together a float rig
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Help me put together a float rig

I wrote this in another forum, can be a little time consuming but has proven very effective for me on the beaches here in Maine. My suggestion is rig up 5-10 of them, more than enough for th whole season (unless you're fishing around rock pilings or other structure and have frequent break-offs. I've had the same float on all season so far without so much as a nick. Good luck man, hope it helps.

I buy a bag of floats of various sizes, shapes and colors ranging from plain old round to cigar floats and others. Attach your sinker directly to your leader (not rigged on a slide of any sort) using a snap swivel or split ring. I prefer pyramid sinkers as they tend to hold bottom better off the beach where I do the majority of my fishing. I never go lighter than a 5 oz. or heavier than a 7 oz but this will vary on the location your fishing, (moving water such as a river or in/around tidal pools you'll want a lighter weight (3-4 oz. egg sinker) to allow your offering to be swept up in the current). Use a fluoro leader (circle hooks are ideal for this method for floating worms or even clams), then slide a bead down stopping a few inches up from your hook, secured with a loosely tied overhand knot behind it so the bead stays in place. Next, slide the float onto ur line followed by another bead and another knot behind that. I usually tie up a bunch of these in advance ranging in length and use them accordingly depending on how high the surf/strong the undertow etc. Last step to secure the beads to the float, apply a small dab of Gorilla Glue on either end of the float in the hole and press the beads into to secure it tight. The Gorilla Glue makes a decent seal once it dries and keeps everything in place. Use this rig with two sandworms on a circle hook (1st rigged through the head, fed a couple inches and pulled thru leaving the majority to dangle, 2nd one hook thru the back and out thru the head in between the pinchers) and I'm telling ya man, stripers go nuts for 'em. Try it out and let me know how ya make out, I promise ya won't be disappointed.

StriperHyper ~ Will

Last edited by StriperHyper; 07-16-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: ....