Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Salt Water Licenses!......bet you change your tune

19K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  AntonNYC 
#1 ·
#27 ·
Ed White said:
That article put forth the best reasoning that I have read for the institution of a saltwater license. I've been dead against the idea of a license because till now I have always felt that the "bounty of the ocean" was something that should be available to anyone, including folks who might not have the wherewithal to pay extra dollars just to go fishing.
That's a great attitude Ed. Here in NC, our saltwater license takes effect on 1 January 2007, and will be $10 a year (to those not holding Lifetime licenses by 1 January 2006). And as I was researching this (since I am a Lifetime holder, I needed to know if I was grandfathered or not) I came across an interesting snippet addressing "subsistence" (sp?) fishing. Basically, fishing to eat. And they're going to allow folks to apply for a waiver of the fee if they can prove that they fish the ocean for food, for their own table. And they apply for them at Social Services offices.

My "Southern Conservative Politics" aside, I think that is a very good and very fair, approach to the issue.

Here's a link to our recreational license info:
http://www.ncfisheries.net/recreational/NCCRFL.htm

And yes, since I got my Lifetime Sportsman License in 1982, I was/am grandfathered...(the year my step-dad married my mom, and he bought the license for me....how thoughtful a gift that has turned out to be...) I'd still pay it though, since it appears to be going to the right people here in NC's case. I guess you could say that I was on the fence when it first came about, but am 100% in favor now that they did the above for people that may not be able to pay the fee. I mean, c'mon, to the "rest" of us $10 ain't even 2 lures...

#28 ·
I came across an interesting snippet addressing "subsistence" (sp?) fishing. Basically, fishing to eat. And they're going to allow folks to apply for a waiver of the fee if they can prove that they fish the ocean for food, for their own table. And they apply for them at Social Services offices.
I think that's an excellent solution to that issue, you're right, for those of us who can afford to pay, the $10 is nothing, we wouldn't waste the fishing time to fill out the app. But there are people who could use that assistance. Hell I spend $22.50 plus the trout stamp every year, and I have never kept a freshwater fish. Hell, I hardly ever catch 'em either.

Ed

#29 ·
I don't know what struck me about the subsistence line in our regs that made it "ok" to me then, but it did. Maybe the thought that there are still folks out there that do catch fish for genuine nourishment reasons, not just "wanting some to eat" like you and I would.

I ain't gonna lie to ya, when the freezer gets empty, I ain't scared to run down to the Food Lion and pick up some farm raised Talapia to grill, that's if they don't have any Striped Bass in stock...and I guess I had gotten to the point of taking the ability to do that for granted.

So if our state was going to institute this fee, supposedly for the oversight and support of our fisheries, AND was good hearted enough to give subsistence fisherpeople a pass on the fee...I jumped on-board supporting it. I guess that was the one nagging downside in my mind when we first heard of the then possible regulation some years ago.

#30 ·
For New Jersey, there have been years of talk about getting a license.

This is my argument.

Did you know that everything you purchase towards fishing has an 11 percent federal excise tax included in it? Meaning, boats, tackle, gas, bait etc? This is in every state in the country. Now, this money does go back to the states. But it is distrubited, via the number of fishing licenses. So, if Utah has 100,000 fishing licenses and NJ has 80,000 freshwater licenses. Utah will get a bigger percentage of the money. Even though Utah may have 100,000 in total fishermen and NJ has 1,000,000! We could be talking about millions of dollars. This is because NJ only has a freshwater licenses. If NJ had both and if everyone got it, then NJ would get a substancial raise in the allocation of these monies.

Everyone is worried about where the license fee will go. I am too. NJ can make it where the seniors, disabled and youth could be free or $1.00 to make them count in the total figure. For other normal adults Make it $10.00. Not going to kill the average person. However, a few things would have to happen.

First and foremost! 100 percent of these fees need to go back into the resource. This can be enforcent. Scientific study or legistration. It can not go towards a new computer for some desk clerk in Trenton. Also, the fees cannot be raised with genuine input from the anglers. Put it in a law of some kind.

If the above was set in stone I would go for the license. Any thing other than the above I would say no too.

NJ is loosing millions every year. If we had the above stipulations and license, we would be better off and possibly be able to fight off the commercial guy better. However, again the $$ has to go back into the resource 100 percent!

My 2 cents

#31 ·
So both Florida and NC now require saltwater fishing licenses. I've never fished in NC, maybe one day, but I've fished in Florida many times. As I recall, in Florida you don't need a saltwater fishing license IF:
-you are fishing from shore, or something that's connected to the shore.
-you are on a charter and the charter has the license.
-you are either under 16 or over 65

I don't think there is a waiver for people fishing for substanance. However, most of those people probably would be fishing from shore and therefore not require a license anyway.

I did hear that no fishing license is required in NC if you fish on the 4th of July.

In NC do shore fishermen need licenses? My guess is yes.

#32 ·
#33 ·
This information is posted elsewhere but is germane to this topic.
States that have instituted a saltwater License
Virginia
Virginia annual saltwater license
Individual lifetime saltwater recreational fishing license $ 250.00**
** lifetime licenses are also available for VA residents at lower cost based on age
as follows: age 45-50 - $120; age 51-55 - $90; age 56-60 - $60; age 61-64 - $30.
Virginia Saltwater License Boundries
Maryland
Tidal/Bay Sport Fishing License
Marylands Tidal - Bay Sportfishing License requirement
North Carolina
The license is required beginning Jan.1, 2007.
North Carolinas Coastal Recreational Fishing License
South Carolina
Why Buy? info
All S.C. License info opens in pdf
Florida
saltwater licence exemptions.
Florida recreational Saltwater License
Any resident fishing in saltwater from land or from a structure fixed to the land.
Any person fishing from a for-hire vessel (guide, charter, party boat) that has a valid vessel license.
Any person fishing from a vessel, the operator of which has a valid vessel license issued in the name of the operator of the vessel.
Any person who holds a valid saltwater products license (SPL).
Any person fishing for recreational purposes from a pier that has been issued a valid pier saltwater fishing license.
Any resident fishing for a saltwater species in fresh water from land or from a structure fixed to land.
Any resident fishing for mullet in fresh water who has a valid Florida freshwater fishing license.
Alabama
Alabamas saltwater License
A saltwater fishing license is required for all persons fishing in saltwater areas of Alabama. Residents and
non residents under the age of 16 are exempt. Residents age 65 and over are exempt. residents may fish from a licensed
public fishing pier in the inside waters without purchasing a fishing license.
Texas
requests a a saltwater stamp endorsement with a red drum tag.
Texas saltwater stamp endorsement
Louisianna
requires a saltwater license. (no details available)
Mississippi
requires a saltwater permit for fishing in the gulf of mexico
Mississippi Saltwater License
California
requires a striped bass stamp.
California requirements
Washington
Washington state saltwater recreational fishing license
Allows to fish for any species existing in saltwater except shellfish.
Oregon
A marine license is required to angle for or land all species except smelt.
Regs and License info. opens in Pdf

Note** In Georgia you need a freshwater license to fish in Saltwater.
Fishing Licenses and seasons

#34 ·
That's good info Jim. I didn't realize that in Florida only residents can fish from shore without a license. I hope CC knows that.

With all the different states now requiring saltwater licenses and the varied regulations from state to state, it really pays to do your homework.

#35 ·
Doh!! I don't know if I can handle this. ;) Change is so unbearable. Please, please let me give more money to the government. I can't help myself. ;) They're so much better at wasting it than I am.

I never got to buy a saltwater fishing liscense when I was a kid, even though they sold so many of them in Missouri. What? Huh? ;)

#36 ·
i said this last year when this subject came up. exactly what is going to happen. asfmc just posted the summer flounder regs will be up to individual states to either change or keep them the same as last season. the ball is in thier court with this reg and now would be the time to step up before congress gets it's paws on us. and none of this bs about your rights! this is a long time coming and the right thing is ny state to own it;s own, and the only reason why it isn't yet is that the commercial fishery on the east coast will suffer from red tape and less lenient watchdogs and compliance with certain regs and changes in policy. texas went to the state licence and the rectreational fishery thrives as they chased the comm's out of the inshore gulf. i don;t like any licence one bit but the state would benefit as funds (have to be) used for the purpose it was collected for. the feds can do with it what they please. it is law.

#38 ·
no jim, there is no language you and i can decipher correctly. the point really is that either the feds get the licence money or the state does. the LAW in NY anyway, from what i gathered, is that any funds from a licence for example have to be put into a pot for the delving out monies for whatever the bill has designed it for. i see what rog says makes sense that funding may or would get cut for some of these and that is a catch 22. damned if we do or damned if we don;t. i would venture an argument would arise for the feds to get it as ny would not want the responsibility if it had to forfeit guaranteed funding from capitol hill. one way or another this could get real messy

#39 ·
Zim
North Carolinas licence will be dedicated funds. It goes into affect next January.
FAQ

How will the CRFL money be spent?
It will go into two marine resource funds and be distributed through the Marine Fisheries and Wildlife Resources commissions. It must be used to manage, protect, restore, develop, cultivate, conserve and/or enhance North Carolina?s marine resources.

Why do I have to participate in the DMF?s biological data sampling and survey programs?
The purpose of the CRFL is to gather better data about North Carolina?s coastal recreational fishing activity so the DMF can manage fish stocks more effectively. Fisheries managers need to have better estimates on how many people are recreationally fishing and how many and what types of fish they are catching. Sampling and surveys help provide this information.

#40 ·
that is how it was written up and voted on by people who are voted into these jobs and certainly not by the public. there ought to be an addendum drawn up to put before the state and federal level meetings regarding changes in fisheries management and at noaa and asmfc that will give the public the right to choose candidates for these positions instead of a lobbyist of some sort plugging his boy or girl for the job. there is always strength in numbers and if it were brought out in the open enough it could be done

#41 ·
The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control
(DNREC) is moving quickly to establish a saltwater fishing license for
recreational anglers who fish Delaware marine waters. Specifically, the
license would be an ?all waters license", meaning that the license would
be valid for both fresh and saltwater fishing. Very few details of the
proposal are known at this time besides that DNREC is considering a range
of fees from $5 to $8.50 per year for residents and $15 to $20 per year
for non-residents. In order for a license to be instituted, a bill would
have to be passed by the Delaware legislature and signed into law by the
Governor.

#42 ·
This fossilized but relevant thread provides a time capsule overview.
There are some great ideas and interesting information, debate and positions that still remain relevant today. The Reauthorization of the Magnusun Stevenson act which posits, as we all know by this writing, a requirement to establish a national registry that was included in the statute approved by Congress in 2007.
The final rule requires anglers and spearfishers who fish recreationally in federal ocean waters to be included in the national saltwater angler registry by Jan. 1, 2010.
Beginning January 2010, NOAA will exempt anglers from the federal registration rule if they are licensed in states that have a system to provide complete information on their saltwater anglers to the national registry.
It was 09 but the states have been granted 1 year to decide whether they will collect the data via licensing or If anglers are not licensed or registered by a state that has been exempted and want to fish in federal waters, they will be required to register with NOAA. They also must register if they fish in tidal waters for migratory fish such as striped bass and salmon that spawn in rivers and spend their adult lives in estuaries and oceans. However, those who fish recreationally for these migratory species inland of tidal waters need not register, according to the final rule.

The latest on this issue.
In these newer threads that are located in the regulations laws info forums
The Saltwater License and why its coming.
National Federal Registry / Saltwater License News

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.