Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Air brush paint

Tags
air brush paint
7K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  jerseystriper 
#1 ·
Information on paint for air brush painting. Thank you dave71

#2 ·
It's this colored liquid that comes in a bottle and you can spray it out of your airbrush

What do you want to know ?

#3 ·
By 5 Gallons of pearlized white by createx. I know I seem to use a ton of that.

Seriously though I bought a kit with 32 colors in it on a popular auction site for a fairly reasonable price. Some of the Bottles I have yet to open many I have opened and used. Createx paint flows nicely and the colors mix pretty well too.

#4 ·
I think what he may be asking for-but maybe not. One thing for sure is I would like to know what type of airbrush paint do you use or recommend?

Water Base, Acrylic, Oil or Tempera/Gouache

I think if using the acrylic you may need to thin or reduce. Your input would be appreciated, Thank you

#5 ·
If you buy the acrylic from createx it generally does not need thinning, some others may require slight thinning. Stay away from Tempera Goauche that is good for art work but I don't know how well it would hold up on plugs (maybe someone else has more experience). To me oil based would seem to be more of a PITA.

#6 ·
I'm sure I may be able to tell but does the Createx kits come with solid and transparent paints. I guess maybe it depends on the kit you get but maybe not. What brand airbrush do you use, Can you recommend a good/decent one? Say under $100 for brush kit, I have a compressor and reg/sep. I'm borrowing a real cheap one right now and need to get my own. I have narrowed it down to a Badger or Paasche as I think the Iwatas are to costly for me. But to be honest I really have no ideaBangHead.gif

#8 ·
I bought the Paasche Talon for detail work and I have an old Passche that I use to lay on the belly and clear coats. The cleaning has been an issue with the talon the disassembly and re-assembly is a pita and costs me time. I will wind up with an Iwata next winter I am sure.

As far as the Createx Kits go they come with an assortment of colors and styles from Transparents opaques and pearlized. The pearlized paint is pretty cool.

Do yourself a favor and by an airbrush cleaning kit. Super helpful.

Have fun

#7 ·
If you buy the Badger or Paasche you just end up getting a top feed Iwata sooner or later anyway. Pretty much everyone I know who does plugs has had this happen, me included

#9 ·
Well I finally got myself an airbrush. I also got with it a bunch of Createx paints. After going through the paints I realized I did not have a silver. I went out to around 4 or 5 stores and they were all out of silver Createx. I do have 1 or 2 botles of Golden Acrylic Iridecent Pearl, Silver and I think I have a few other colors(bronze,Umbar). The problem is this is the heavy and is like paste. I had read online in some places you can cut with water and others saying to use the medium. Does any one have any input on this? The local shops also do not have the Airbrush Medium.:dizzy: The gun I have says in the manual and the reviews it's good for acrylics-it's a Iwata Eclipse HP-CS.
I'm going to try an check one more store tomorrow as they said they had a larger bottle of Createx Auto color Silver mettalic. If I get a chance I'm also going to swing buy the hobby shop. The other stores I was at were Michaels and AC moore. I saw the Golden at one of those stores and I could not believe it was $9 for a tiny bottle(1 fl oz.)but they did not have the medium. I also checked for some Delta medium and did no see that either any input would be great. I'm also trying to figure out what is the best paints to spray.
Someone I know is getting me a Kustom Shop paint kit, stencils and Templates from Full Blown Customs-Ed Hubbs is the master painter(awesome) but I'm not sure I can use this stuff on plugs(don't see why not) I'm going to call or email Ed and check. Check out his work on You Tube and his supplies at TCPglobal

#10 ·
I was worried I my last post was too long.
I have several bottles of Golden Acrylics, this stuff seems thick like a glue. It is not the "Heavy" that comes in the tube. On the bigger bottles it talks about thinning with water, but then also mentions if spraying to also use some Golden Air Brush Medium. The problem is I can't find the air brush medium locally. Can I just thin with water or I can also get some Liquidtex Flo Medium(not really sure what that is for though) and also mix flo medium with water 1/20 ratio
Maybe I will just play with the paints and see how they work.

Scratch this question I figure that some of the bottles were shaken to much and became foamy as a bigger bottle I got is much more liquid

#23 ·
I was worried I my last post was too long.
I have several bottles of Golden Acrylics, this stuff seems thick like a glue. It is not the "Heavy" that comes in the tube. On the bigger bottles it talks about thinning with water, but then also mentions if spraying to also use some Golden Air Brush Medium. The problem is I can't find the air brush medium locally. Can I just thin with water or I can also get some Liquidtex Flo Medium(not really sure what that is for though) and also mix flo medium with water 1/20 ratio
Maybe I will just play with the paints and see how they work.
This is actually my first post here... I frequent some of the other plug building sites and recently found this one. Nice to be here.

I also use the Golden paints. Yes they are expensive, but you need to thin them a lot so it isn't as bad as it looks. They have some awesome colors. I really like the Golden medium.Best thing about it is that it has a screw top nozzle. Makes it really easy to dispense. I hate the flip top on the liquitex. I think you have to go to an art store to get it and most of the golden paints. I live near boston and there are several I go to. You may also be able to get it online. The art stores I go to also have web sites. One is Utrecht art supply and Artist Craftsman and supply. If you google them you should be able to find them. They may have a location near you too. I think Utrecht has a store in NJ at least.

Golden has some really incredible colors called interference. Sort of like some of the irredescent colors they change color. The interference gold looks spot on to the bottom of a menhaden. Makes a beautiful plug. It is the closest I have ever seen to a real fish.

#13 ·
I use the Liquitex as well, good stuff

I find that my brushes will spit more if I thin with straight water.
And of course they always wait until the last detail is being done to spit drops all over the plug :smiliedoh:

#15 ·
Between colors, I flush the gun with water. I use a large Folgers or Maxwell House coffee container filled with water. I take the gun and submerse the tip and intake tube into the container of water and spray. After a few seconds, I put my finger over the nozzle, while I'm spraying in the bucket of water. It back flushes the gun. Do that a couple times, spray some more water through it and you're ready for the next color. Only takes about 30 seconds, so it sounds harder than it is. When I'm done painting, I take the gun apart and wash in dish detergent soapy water, and rinse. I have a screen that fits over the drain in my sink for when those small parts fall out of your hands. I do have a set of really small brushes I got with a spray gun years ago. AC Moore doesn't carry them up here. Check on line or a hobby shop.

#16 ·
for a cleaning agent, I use 1 cup of water mixed with two table spoons each of windex and simple green... in most instances it will remove even dried paint.... I mix it ahead of time and run a little through each gun at the end of a painting session, then spray plain water for a rinse...Plain white vinegar and water, and most citrus based cleaners also do a good job... if the paint is hardened and cured, denatured alcohol will remove it...

while painting ( I've posted this before) I keep a 5 gallon bucket half full of warm water near my paint station, as I change colors,When I pull the gun out of the water, the bucket is the perfect place to empty the gun... a quick rinse (simply sprayed through the gun) with clean water and I can continue... all paint jars can be tossed into the bucket as they are emptied and dealt with later, caps are tossed in the bucket as well to keep a crust from forming that can potentially clog the gun...

I have sprayed 100 plugs in one day with out having to clean the gun or un clog it using this method....

when the day is over , a quick cleaning is all that is needed using the cleaning solution...

I use Delta Ceramacote, Anita and Folk art paints, all with very little or no trouble, it takes a little time to get used to how much thinning each paint needs, and it depends more on color than brand.... only your own experience will teach you how much of each is needed.. I do keep liqutex of the shelf and use it for the Delta black, that color seems to benefit the most from the use of the product, mainly to keep the paint in suspension, as it tends to separate if only water is used...... I keep the Createx for the fine details that require only a tiny bit of paint...

I hate painting.. this process makes it all go quicker..

#17 ·
Thank you so much Roc and Rick. This will save me so much time and money(paint). My gun is a top/gravity feed so maybe I will just submerse the end of gun to suck in the water or just pour in. I also have a couple real cheap Badgers(got for free) that maybe I will use and spray out the cup. I like the bottom feeds better but I could not turn down the deal I got on this gun and paint, it basically cost me a couple hours work and some materials I already had left over from other jobs. I also ended up getting a vertical wheelchair lift in the deal, part of the work was removing it. I had tried offering him some a few bucks but he refused, as he put it "for all the times I got him out of jams in the past"
I was going to check the hobby shops near me, I have a good one and a decent one-one of them should have the brushes(if I ever need them).
Roc I have also noticed what you mentioned about the Createx being able to spray a tiny bit of paint. I think is due to less pigment, man the Golden acrlic sure does cover much better and seems to atomize better also. I had something else I wanted to say or ask but I forget, I started typing this in the AM but had to run out

#18 ·
Jersey striper, you miss understood what I meant about using a little bit of paint... the containers they come in have the squirt lid, this allows me to literally put a "little bit of paint" in the cup , rather than uncorking a 4OZ. jar of pre mix, which inevitably will end up spilled on the bench when all I want to do is fog a few eyes or apply a chin splash.... as for the metalics... I only use delta gleams... I dont like the metallic createx finishes..

#20 ·
Jersey striper, you miss understood what I meant about using a little bit of paint... the containers they come in have the squirt lid, this allows me to litteraly put a "little bit of paint" in the cup , rather than uncorking a 4OZ. jar of pre mix, which inevitably will end up spilled on the bench when all I wan tot do is fog a few eyes or apply a chin splash.... as for the metalics... I only use delta gleams... I dont like the metalic createx finishes..
as for the metalics... I only use delta gleams

I was at Michaels and did not see Delta gleams. I will also check at AC Moore and see if they have it there. Is this Delta Cremacote Gleams or just Delta Gleams as I did not even see it on their website? I'm pretty good right now with metallics but may want a few different colors, Delta's color selection is just amazing. Got lucky also as the Michaels I was at had the airbrush medium on sale for 1/2 price plus I had a 40% off coupon. If you guys want some I thingk I have another coupon or 2.

#19 ·
I don't care a whole lot for the createx either as it does not cover real well. I will sometimes spray bomb white(base) then work from there as then coverage is much better and uses less paint. I do know about the little flip/sqirt top, it does make it easy to do a few drops-The Createx, Golden and Liquitex have the squirter also(not sure on if the others do I have not used yet). Thank you for the input on the Delta. I actually got a few bottles today. As I was digging through the stuff the guy gave me I also realized that there was more paint than I thought. There was also another large Golden and a few more small ones along with several bottles of Liquitex. That Delta is pretty nice, but as for many of the other colors I do see why the Goldens and Liquitex cost more- they are way more vibrant and has much more pigment. The store does carry way more color options of Folk, Delta and Apple. I sure I won't buy anymore Golden/Liquitex as I can get 3 or 4 bottles of Delta or FolkArt for the cost of one Golden or Liquitex. I will also still use the spray bombs here and there as I don't have to clean after and I also have a crap load of it.
These are the droppers I was talking about as many times I squirt to much paint into the cup. This way I can pull it back out and also sometimes measure what I put in

Attachments

#21 ·
Scratch the Gleams question. After doing a search I realize I was looking right at the Gleams in the store. I think I actually picked up a few and did not even realize. I had also grabbed something called shimmer or something like that, it's add to the paint to give the same or similar effect(from Delta) I had also picked up some pigment made by Jacquard called Pearl EX it's also mixed with any color paint to give a pearl and or mettalic effect. I figured I would give them a try and see how they work. I had mixed a little PearlEx w/ some paint and sprayed on a box to test-I like it very much as I can make any color I want mettalic or pearl. I think I got 4 different colors/effects. It is actually a very fine powder and sprays with no problems-well yet anyway bottle says particle size is 10 to 60 micron and you ad a very tiny amount. Just thought I would mention as some may want to try in future.

At the store I also notice a Liquitex Iridesant medium, I did not get it but maybe next time. I like to try different things

#24 ·
Carl,
I have quite a few bottles of Golden, like you said with thinning you end up with a good amount. The other plus is they have massive amounts of pigments so thinning does not effect the color much. I use some of the Pearl EX interferance pigments, I also use the iridesant medium to make any color I want pearly or mettalic like. For thinning I usually use a mix of airbrush medium and water, and most times just AB medium. Another great paint I have found is the Liquitex, I do also like many of the Delta paints and to be honest it's ample for plugs. A few of my local stores have had the Goldens on sale or clearance for around $3 a bottle. I had picked up several, problem is they carried more of the basic colors. I'm going back soon to grab what I can though.

Picture below is my paint draw, this does not include another 3 large bottles of Golden, a few more Deltas, 6 bottles of iridesant and AB mediums or the about 20 bottles of Createx. I also think there are several more bottles of Golden and Liquitex that I picked up last week not in there.-I still don't feel I have all I need though

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.