Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - Why fish dont bite
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004, 06:17 AM
Jigologist

The article disregards the barometric pressure stimulus too quickly without fully analyzing the theory.... barometer plays a large role in whether fish are actively feeding or not .... Yes, the pressure differences at different depths are far greater then the barometric swing in atmospheric pressure. However, they are always a constant. i.e.: pressure differences at different depths are always the same. The barometric pressure is a variable that is always changing... why is it that fish often bite well, just before a front moves in? How do they know it's coming? ... Barometric pressure changes.. That is the only way they can tell... They don?t get the weather channel.

stripers have an air bladder that they use to control buoyancy.. Low pressure, the bladder grows in size; high pressure, the bladder shrinks.. very sensitive to pressure...

what I've found in my correlations this season, is that fish like a stable barometer.. They don't care whether it's high or low as long as it's stable...
don't believe it? Try fishing a spiking barom or a plummeting barom... neither will fish as well as a stable one....

I used this same link all season after each trip (good or bad). It is a 5 day history graph of barometric pressure of my local area (somewhat) after each trip I would check the graph.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/plot_met.ph...eas=pres&uom=E

those were my findings after well over 150 fishing trips .. Still only a theory